Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Just to point something out, the year we finally went 12-4 with the "offense carrying the defense" as you claim, that was the year Garrett took a step back from the offense to focus on the defense.

Now, as a current self-proclaimed Garrett hater, (who apparently blames the Earth being flat on Garrett), the 2014 defense was underrated IMO, so he did a good job there. While the offense certainly assisted with ball control, the defense improved considerably from 2013. They even stepped up and made plays that year late in games, including a play to seal the one playoff win Garrett has to his name.
I think being a HC and calling plays was too much. he needed to focus on one area. I did agree with them removing Callahan from play calling duties, as the offense was pretty bad with him as the OC. I know garrett wanted his guy(s) in linehan because they had similar offensive philosophy.

I think the improvement in defense was because of the offense. I am not saying that the defense didn't improve on its own, but we played ball control, ran the ball (that was the year murray almost had 2000 yards), had effective passing game, and had other teams on the rope and forcing them to play one dimentional offense. if you know what type of play the other team will run (pass), then its much easier to defend against.

last year also exposed the weakness in defense again, specially 3rd down conversion. this defense has had trouble getting off the field and tend to extend drives. the GB playoff game was a great example. we score. have the lead. have one minute left. and still couldn't stop GB and allowed them to convert down after down..... the offense did it job. defense failed.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
"walk around GM" lmao.. I've heard it all now. If we win it all, it will be because of Jerry, since he gets all the blame. and he's training Jason.. excuses never end sad but true.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think being a HC and calling plays was too much. he needed to focus on one area. I did agree with them removing Callahan from play calling duties, as the offense was pretty bad with him as the OC. I know garrett wanted his guy(s) in linehan because they had similar offensive philosophy.

I think the improvement in defense was because of the offense. I am not saying that the defense didn't improve on its own, but we played ball control, ran the ball (that was the year murray almost had 2000 yards), had effective passing game, and had other teams on the rope and forcing them to play one dimentional offense. if you know what type of play the other team will run (pass), then its much easier to defend against.

last year also exposed the weakness in defense again, specially 3rd down conversion. this defense has had trouble getting off the field and tend to extend drives. the GB playoff game was a great example. we score. have the lead. have one minute left. and still couldn't stop GB and allowed them to convert down after down..... the offense did it job. defense failed.
Preaching to the choir here. If only there was a way the head coach could have managed the clock to prevent GB from getting the ball back. It's the main reason why I went from being a Garrett supporter to a Garrett hater.

cml750

Reaction score
I would say probably 75 - 80% of NFL assistant coaches would be better than Garrett.

To add to that, there is a very good chance 50 - 60% of college coaches, 20 - 25% of high school coaches, and at least 5% of the flag football coaches would do a better job.:muttley:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Preaching to the choir here. If only there was a way the head coach could have managed the clock to prevent GB from getting the ball back. It's the main reason why I went from being a Garrett supporter to a Garrett hater.
that doesn't bother me.... they made the plays that were available. they tried to run the clock but got scoring opportunity and scored, which they needed to. GB should have never converted all those downs on a lot of broken plays no less. the defense has to do something, you can't put all the responsibility on offense to do everything.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
that doesn't bother me.... they made the plays that were available. they tried to run the clock but got scoring opportunity and scored, which they needed to. GB should have never converted all those downs on a lot of broken plays no less. the defense has to do something, you can't put all the responsibility on offense to do everything.
Yep, it doesn't bother everyone. It does bother me. You know the defense doesn't make many late game stops, I know they don't. Is Garrett blind or stupid? And the offense shouldn't be responsible for everything. Sometimes, the people wearing the head sets need to make better strategic decisions. 7 years into Garrett's tenure, he still fails miserably at that. And 7 years into his tenure we still have a defense that can't be counted on to make stops and his decisions keep putting them in position to be the scapegoat.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yep, it doesn't bother everyone. It does bother me. You know the defense doesn't make many late game stops, I know they don't. Is Garrett blind or stupid? And the offense shouldn't be responsible for everything. Sometimes, the people wearing the head sets need to make better strategic decisions. 7 years into Garrett's tenure, he still fails miserably at that. And 7 years into his tenure we still have a defense that can't be counted on to make stops and his decisions keep putting them in position to be the scapegoat.
the defense bothers me. I am not a big fan of Marinelli. His schemes are not aggressive and old and out dated. plus we hadn't invested in the defense like we should have with high draft picks. the one that we did, was injured for 4 years.....most of the first round draft picks went to offense and most of the money was spent on offense. defense got 2nd round and below and often draft risky players in the second round and wait and see what happens. its only this past two drafts we invested heavily on defense. hopefully we will see better results.

this team was turned over twice now in 8 years. and we were cap strapped for few years. next eyar we get a relief. we have kind of rebuilt this team on the fly and still kind of competitive. I think in hind sight, the 4-12 season was a blessing in disguise. showed importance of back up QB and we got lucky with the #4 pick......

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
giphy-downsized.gif

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
the defense bothers me. I am not a big fan of Marinelli. His schemes are not aggressive and old and out dated. plus we hadn't invested in the defense like we should have with high draft picks. the one that we did, was injured for 4 years.....most of the first round draft picks went to offense and most of the money was spent on offense. defense got 2nd round and below and often draft risky players in the second round and wait and see what happens. its only this past two drafts we invested heavily on defense. hopefully we will see better results.

this team was turned over twice now in 8 years. and we were cap strapped for few years. next eyar we get a relief. we have kind of rebuilt this team on the fly and still kind of competitive. I think in hind sight, the 4-12 season was a blessing in disguise. showed importance of back up QB and we got lucky with the #4 pick......
I can't stand the defense and don't get me wrong, there are good things about this team. It has potential and Garrett does some things well. He just doesn't manage the game well, and it is going to make it more difficult to win...especially in the post season. Our great offense typically sucks, averaging about 19 points a game, well below their scoring average. They finally had a good game against GB in 2016, but GBs defense was depleted due to injury.

Even in 2014, Garrett makes a boneheaded clock management mistake by rushing to call a timeout after a first down was called on a play that Witten was clearly over a yard short of the sticks. This allowed the booth time to overturn the first down and force 3rd down. Instead of rushing up to the line and forcing the booth to initiate a replay stopping the clock for us and preserving a timeout, Garrett wastes a timeout which hurts the team. And the sad thing is, the play happened right in front of Garrett. He should have known it was clearly a bad call by the refs. That led to the fumbled snap by Romo on 3rd down and missed Bailey FG. If we had the timeout, we could have ran on 3rd and short, keeping enough time to score a TD before half.

And there is example after example of these poor, poor decisions. Like calling a timeout with 50 seconds left from the 1 yard line before halftime, which saved time for Atlanta to drive the field and score before the half in 2015.

These decisions hurt the team. It needs to improve.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
the packers game when we lost the game in the last minute? the one that we scored 31? and the crappy defense couldn't stop anyone?
same for eagles game. same for SD game where we couldn't do crap in the 2nd half and couldn't make a single stop.

this defense was manhandled last year and was pretty crappy over the past few years. that's also the HC responsibility, don't get me wrong. the two years we went 12-4 and 13-3, it was the offense carrying the defense. at some point, this defense has to step up and make plays.

btw, I am not a garrett supporter or fan. I just don't hate him personally like a few around here. I don't care if he is here or not. I like to see cowboys succeed. if its without garrett then so be it, but I don't put the entire fault squarley on one person. this is the 6th coach in succession. some for couple of years. some for 4 years, garrett for 7 years.... same results. same outcome. its hard being a coach in dallas. even the great parcells failed.

but the garrett haters, blame the earth being flat on garrett. they blame him for accepting the job. they blame him for not having resigned. they blame campo's incompetence on garrett. they blame garrett for being born. they have a singular focus. garrett is cause of failure for the past 25 years.

Man that was all over the place. Garrett is a terrible coach. His in game adjustments are terrible. The head coach is in charge of the offense and defense. The sooner he is gone the better off the organization will be going forward.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Man that was all over the place. Garrett is a terrible coach. His in game adjustments are terrible. The head coach is in charge of the offense and defense. The sooner he is gone the better off the organization will be going forward.
Tonight ? :laugh::lmao::lmao2:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
speculation..... Brady is probably the best QB ever to play the game. and a great QB like him make the coachs and lead teams to championships. Aikman did it for Switzer. otherwise switzer was a moron. he rode the coat tails of Johnson and the loaded team he left behind. he did manage to screw the team from three straight superbowl wins, and the next year the team tuned him out and took it upon themselves to do the things that needed to be done to get another championship.

Talk about a guy that needed everything perfect around him? Aikman was the poster child for that. His life time completion percentage was 61%. And Aikman was mr dink and dunk city. He had the worst deep ball I have ever seen.

When Aikman didnt have Emmitt in his prime and the best Oline in the game, he was horrid.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Often Garrett needs to make better strategic decisions. No one talks about our last kick off. We should have kicked off short and forced GB to run it back. If we would had done that, and run about 10-12 seconds off the clock, GB would not have had enough time to kick the game winning Field Goal. GB was down to their backup returner and earlier in the game we kicked short to him and they only returned the ball to the 17, while running 10-12 seconds of the clock. It was a no brainer to kick off short in this situation, because of the circumstances, but Garrett didn’t do. Belicheat would have done it. But he’s a good coach that is constantly thinking about what’s the best strategy in a specific situation. Garrett is to busy cheerleading to think about strategy!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Yep........both guys that won the SB to start.
Rams coach was better than his teams talent too. Look what Fisher did with mostly the same talent. Settling for Garrett because you think we might get a coach that is worse, is exactly that SETTLING for mediocrity!! When you know we have a mediocre HC, how can you settle for that? I don’t get it!

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Rams coach was better than his teams talent too. Look what Fisher did with mostly the same talent. Settling for Garrett because you think we might get a coach that is worse, is exactly that SETTLING for mediocrity!! When you know we have a mediocre HC, how can you settle for that? I don’t get it!
Garrett is great

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Off topic, but just re-watched the Eagles Cowboys Sunday Night game from last season, and the SNF crew put up a display saying Doug Peterson and Frank Reich were the only Head Coach & Offensive Coordinator on the same team who both played QB in the NFL.

But... Isn't this untrue? Aghemm... Garrett and Linehan???

Just thought that was ironic gaf since they were both playing each other. Is there something I'm missing here?

Edit. Nevermind, they did say played in the NFL, not just in.. So I guess technically they are correct. Linehan was injured and released in rookie training camp.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Off topic, but just re-watched the Eagles Cowboys Sunday Night game from last season, and the SNF crew put up a display saying Doug Peterson and Frank Reich were the only Head Coach & Offensive Coordinator on the same team who both played QB in the NFL.

But... Isn't this untrue? Aghemm... Garrett and Linehan???

Just thought that was ironic gaf since they were both playing each other. Is there something I'm missing here?
See? Even NBC doesn’t recognize Garrett as being a head coach.

All kidding aside, it was probably because Scott didn’t play in the NFL.