Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yep pederson didn't elevate his coaching when he figured out what Noles positive were in his game and changed his plays.

Garrett just clapped harder and faster for Weeden and Cassels. *claps faster and harder* same results. one win.. lmao.. but it was Jerry's fault for not training Jason better.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it does, especially when our top 10 offense failed to score the amount of points the opposing defense typcially allowed, which is normally what happened when our season was on the line. It wasn’t like we were always going up again the Ravens defense every year.

A fan thinking something sucks and something sucking often aren’t the same thing.

I think we might have even been more productive on a points/series basis in the playoff game in 2016 than we were on average in the regular season.

Either way, it was the defense that let us down in that game, again.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
yep pederson didn't elevate his coaching when he figured out what Noles positive were in his game and changed his plays.

Garrett just clapped harder and faster for Weeden and Cassels. *claps faster and harder* same results. one win.. lmao.. but it was Jerry's fault for not training Jason better.

Jacksonville had the 2nd ranked defense in the league and gave up 42 points in the divisional round of the playoffs, but still won. Philadelphia had the 4th best defense in the league and gave up 33 points in the SB and still won the title.

If Garrett had that defense, no way our offense overcomes those scores, even with Romo,unless they play a banged up defense like GB in 2016. Garrett's offense sucks when the season is on the line. Too easy for good defenses to figure out.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
A fan thinking something sucks and something sucking often aren’t the same thing.

I think we might have even been more productive on a points/series basis in the playoff game in 2016 than we were on average in the regular season.

I understand the defense was our weak link and our offense was our strength.

Let me grab some data for you on how we performed in our elimination games and how it compared to our season average and to the season averages of our opponent.

Wizarus

Reaction score
It’s why I argued for years with the surrounding support or lack of it we needed a little more elite QB than Romo.

He certainly appeared enough if he had an upper tier defense and supporting cast . When he had a better supporting cast we were more serious contenders .

I have to believe with a top 5 defense we beat Green Bay in 2014 and 16 but again the Elite talent of Rodgers can often be the X-Factor or equalizing force and why I emphatically stress it’s importance on at least one side of the ball if we’re intent on being more serious contenders.
The thing is Elite QBs dont grow on trees. Romo was the best option available. Have yet to see someone on the level of Manning and Rodgers in over a decade. There was no choice but to build a supporting cast around Romo, since he does have a shot at winning against those QBs if he gets it. That was better than what most teams had.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
garrett trying to put a square peg in a round hole with that 90's crap. Back then you could buy the best players and buy a super bowl. now you have to actually know how to coach. Always wondered why Jerry doesn't just buy the best coordinators to cover up Garrett completely.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Garrett had a top 5 defense, his offense would have still blown chunks and choked the season away in the playoffs.
That’s mere speculation. I’d like to see it before believing it.

But not surprising from a confessed hater. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The thing is Elite QBs dont grow on trees. Romo was the best option available. Have yet to see someone on the level of Manning and Rodgers in over a decade. There was no choice but to build a supporting cast around Romo, since he does have a shot at winning against those QBs if he gets it. That was better than what most teams had.
I understand . But not enough to expect more.

And if you need more you bring in a GM or HC who knows how to build it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
garrett trying to put a square peg in a round hole with that 90's crap. Back then you could buy the best players and buy a super bowl. now you have to actually know how to coach. Always wondered why Jerry doesn't just buy the best coordinators to cover up Garrett completely.
Or he could buy the best HC and or GM. Wonder what’s stopping him?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
if he buys the best coordinators to cover up for Garrett, then it would appear Jerry has done it his way without a true HC... you know his and your agenda.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It’s Jerrys fault for not bringing in a more experienced proven HC and GM to build it.

You’d think you guys would learn by now. Easy pickings.. Next

If you want to just hate .. that’s fine. But these rebuttals are elementary. Lol

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Here is what how the offense and defense performed relative to our averages and our opponents averages, so I won't blindly just point fingers at the defensive side of the ball as if the offense were pulling their weight only to be let down by the defense.

Seattle 2006

Offense scored 20 points - Dallas averaged 26.6 ppg, Seattle defense gave up 21.3 ppg
Defense gave up 19 points (2 points given up by our offense) - Seattle offense average 20.9 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 21.9 ppg

NY 2007
Offense scored 17 points - Dallas averaged 28.4 ppg, NY defense gave up 21.9 ppg
Defense gave up 21 points - NY offense average 23.3 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 20.3 ppg

Phlly 2008
Offense scored 6 points - Dallas averaged 22.6 ppg, Philly defense gave up 18.1 ppg
Defense gave up 30 points (offense gave up 2 TDs, defense also on hook for 2 FGs with Philly already in FG range) - Philly offense average 26.0 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 22.8 ppg

Phlly 2009
Offense scored 34 points - Dallas averaged 22.6 ppg, Philly defense gave up 21.1 ppg
Defense gave up 14 points - Philly offense average 21.1 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 15.6 ppg

Minnesota 2009
Offense scored 3 points - Dallas averaged 22.6 ppg, Minn defense gave up 19.5 ppg
Defense gave up 34 points - Minn offense averaged 29.4 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 15.6 ppg

NY 2011
Offense scored 14 points - Dallas averaged 23.1 ppg, NY defense gave up 25.0 ppg
Defense gave up 31 points - NY offense average 24.6 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 21.7 ppg

Wash 2012
Offense scored 18 points - Dallas averaged 23.5 ppg, Wash defense gave up 24.3 ppg
Defense gave up 28 points - Wash offense average 27.3 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 25.0 ppg

Phlly 2013
Offense scored 22 points - Dallas averaged 27.4 ppg, Philly defense gave up 23.9 ppg
Defense gave up 24 points - Philly offense average 27.6 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 27.0 ppg

Detroit 2014
Offense scored 24 points - Dallas averaged 29.2 ppg, Detroit defense gave up 17.6 ppg
Defense gave up 21 points - Detroit offense averaged 20.1 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 22.0 ppg

GB 2014
Offense scored 21 points - Dallas averaged 29.2 ppg, GB defense gave up 21.8 ppg
Defense gave up 26 points - GB offense average 30.4 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 22.0 ppg

GB 2016
Offense scored 31 points - Dallas averaged 26.3 ppg, GB defense gave up 24.3 ppg
Defense gave up 34 points - GB offense average 27 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 19.1 ppg

Some people want to add the Oakland and Seattle 2017 games in there, and we can do that if you want. I don't think the offense is going to look any better though. We can also add the 2013 week 16 Washington game in there. Same difference. The offense didn't look too great in that one either.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That’s mere speculation. I’d like to see it before believing it.

But not surprising from a confessed hater. Lol

Speculation based upon looking at how our offense typically under performs. You got anything to suggest otherwise besides your mere speculation or excuses? If so, I'd love to see it.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
just get the best coordinators in the universe, so Jason can do what he does best? clap and throw the challenge flag and call timeouts.. Win win for Jerry.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is what how the offense and defense performed relative to our averages and out opponents averages, so I won't blindly just point fingers at the defensive side of the ball as if the offense were pulling their weight only to be let down by the defense.

Seattle 2006

Offense scored 20 points - Dallas averaged 26.6 ppg, Seattle defense gave up 21.3 ppg
Defense gave up 19 points (2 points given up by our offense) - Seattle offense average 20.9 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 21.9 ppg

NY 2007
Offense scored 17 points - Dallas averaged 28.4 ppg, NY defense gave up 21.9 ppg
Defense gave up 21 points - NY offense average 23.3 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 20.3 ppg

Phlly 2008
Offense scored 6 points - Dallas averaged 22.6 ppg, Philly defense gave up 18.1 ppg
Defense gave up 30 points (offense gave up 2 TDs, defense also on hook for 2 FGs with Philly already in FG range) - Philly offense average 26.0 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 22.8 ppg

Phlly 2009
Offense scored 34 points - Dallas averaged 22.6 ppg, Philly defense gave up 21.1 ppg
Defense gave up 14 points - Philly offense average 21.1 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 15.6 ppg

Minnesota 2009
Offense scored 3 points - Dallas averaged 22.6 ppg, Minn defense gave up 19.5 ppg
Defense gave up 34 points - Minn offense averaged 29.4 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 15.6 ppg

NY 2011
Offense scored 14 points - Dallas averaged 23.1 ppg, NY defense gave up 25.0 ppg
Defense gave up 31 points - NY offense average 24.6 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 21.7 ppg

Wash 2012
Offense scored 18 points - Dallas averaged 23.5 ppg, Wash defense gave up 24.3 ppg
Defense gave up 28 points - Wash offense average 27.3 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 25.0 ppg

Phlly 2013
Offense scored 22 points - Dallas averaged 27.4 ppg, Philly defense gave up 23.9 ppg
Defense gave up 24 points - Philly offense average 27.6 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 27.0 ppg

Detroit 2014
Offense scored 24 points - Dallas averaged 29.2 ppg, Detroit defense gave up 17.6 ppg
Defense gave up 21 points - Detroit offense averaged 20.1 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 22.0 ppg

GB 2014
Offense scored 21 points - Dallas averaged 29.2 ppg, GB defense gave up 21.8 ppg
Defense gave up 26 points - GB offense average 30.4 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 22.0 ppg

GB 2016
Offense scored 31 points - Dallas averaged 26.3 ppg, GB defense gave up 24.3 ppg
Defense gave up 34 points - GB offense average 27 ppg, Dallas defense allowed 19.1 ppg

Some people want to add the Oakland and Seattle 2017 games in there, and we can do that if you want. I don't think the offense is going to look any better though. We can also add the 2013 week 16 Washington game in there. Same difference. The offense didn't look too great in that one either.

Great post. I’ll reply in more detail, but can’t do it justice on mobile right now. But didn’t want you to think I didn’t see it.

EDIT: @Aviano90 : I did find the post I had in mind earlier re offensive playoff performance v GB once adjusted for possessions.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/cowboys-tweets-5-23.404889/page-6#post-8173799

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Speculation based upon looking at how our offense typically under performs. You got anything to suggest otherwise besides your mere speculation or excuses? If so, I'd love to see it.
I’m not a speculator . I draw my conclusions from the results.

Our offense as I stated earlier doesn’t typically perform as well against the better defenses and playoff teams which is to be expected .

The regular season games are mostly made up of average to less than average opponents .

It’s why we haven’t performed or fared as well against playoff or elite teams this era because we haven’t have a Top 5 defense or QB.