Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
See? Even NBC doesn’t recognize Garrett as being a head coach.

All kidding aside, it was probably because Scott didn’t play in the NFL.

Lol

Yeah thanks, just read he never actually "played" in a game..

I take that as SNF crew taking a cheap shot at Linehan..

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Speaking of the game though, it is amazing how well out defense played against the World Champs. If our offense could have mustered anything the entire game our D would have looked much much better..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I can't stand the defense and don't get me wrong, there are good things about this team. It has potential and Garrett does some things well. He just doesn't manage the game well, and it is going to make it more difficult to win...especially in the post season. Our great offense typically sucks, averaging about 19 points a game, well below their scoring average. They finally had a good game against GB in 2016, but GBs defense was depleted due to injury.

Even in 2014, Garrett makes a boneheaded clock management mistake by rushing to call a timeout after a first down was called on a play that Witten was clearly over a yard short of the sticks. This allowed the booth time to overturn the first down and force 3rd down. Instead of rushing up to the line and forcing the booth to initiate a replay stopping the clock for us and preserving a timeout, Garrett wastes a timeout which hurts the team. And the sad thing is, the play happened right in front of Garrett. He should have known it was clearly a bad call by the refs. That led to the fumbled snap by Romo on 3rd down and missed Bailey FG. If we had the timeout, we could have ran on 3rd and short, keeping enough time to score a TD before half.

And there is example after example of these poor, poor decisions. Like calling a timeout with 50 seconds left from the 1 yard line before halftime, which saved time for Atlanta to drive the field and score before the half in 2015.

These decisions hurt the team. It needs to improve.
I am not defending garrett, but you can nit pick those things for all coaches including bilicheck….. with that said...fumbled snap? who knew? I am sure he called timeouts before, we ran the play and converted the first down..... you don't make play calls and decisions based on things that could go wrong. a fumble...the most fundamental play between a center and QB. and baily missing....how often....

and I expect a defense to make a stop of a team having to go 99 yards....that's on defense and on top of that...in 50 seconds...

CCBoy

Reaction score
No one has Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry on contract....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Man that was all over the place. Garrett is a terrible coach. His in game adjustments are terrible. The head coach is in charge of the offense and defense. The sooner he is gone the better off the organization will be going forward.
yes, the head coach is responsible, but he doesn't make all the decisions, the coaching staff in general is responsible and that's on garrett too..... we always see it happen to team that have success and their coordinators get poached....seattle has struggled since their superbowls losing their coordinators....

we are also not as talent deep in some areas and that's on Jerry, Stephen, McClay and headcoach….

the difference between garrett haters and garret agnostics is that I don't put ALL of the blame on a single person..... otherwise you address a symptom and not the problem..... and secondly I don't see us as talented as some of the other fans.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't stand the defense and don't get me wrong, there are good things about this team. It has potential and Garrett does some things well. He just doesn't manage the game well, and it is going to make it more difficult to win...especially in the post season. Our great offense typically sucks, averaging about 19 points a game, well below their scoring average. They finally had a good game against GB in 2016, but GBs defense was depleted due to injury.

Even in 2014, Garrett makes a boneheaded clock management mistake by rushing to call a timeout after a first down was called on a play that Witten was clearly over a yard short of the sticks. This allowed the booth time to overturn the first down and force 3rd down. Instead of rushing up to the line and forcing the booth to initiate a replay stopping the clock for us and preserving a timeout, Garrett wastes a timeout which hurts the team. And the sad thing is, the play happened right in front of Garrett. He should have known it was clearly a bad call by the refs. That led to the fumbled snap by Romo on 3rd down and missed Bailey FG. If we had the timeout, we could have ran on 3rd and short, keeping enough time to score a TD before half.

And there is example after example of these poor, poor decisions. Like calling a timeout with 50 seconds left from the 1 yard line before halftime, which saved time for Atlanta to drive the field and score before the half in 2015.

These decisions hurt the team. It needs to improve.

19 points/game against playoff defenses doesn’t really suck. Look to how the defense holds up against playoff offenses if you want to see what really gets us beat in the postseason.

You’re right that Garrett has his share of questionable game decisions and some of them hurt us. All coaches do, though. Some of them are just judgement calls that could go either way and that didn’t work out. Some are probably the result of factors within the game that we, as fans, don’t know about. Some are just mistakes.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
19 points/game against playoff defenses doesn’t really suck. Look to how the defense holds up against playoff offenses if you want to see what really gets us beat in the postseason.

You’re right that Garrett has his share of questionable game decisions and some of them hurt us. All coaches do, though. Some of them are just judgement calls that could go either way and that didn’t work out. Some are probably the result of factors within the game that we, as fans, don’t know about. Some are just mistakes.
I think it does, especially when our top 10 offense failed to score the amount of points the opposing defense typcially allowed, which is normally what happened when our season was on the line. It wasn’t like we were always going up again the Ravens defense every year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think it does, especially when our top 10 offense failed to score the amount of points the opposing defense typcially allowed, which is normally what happened when our season was on the line. It wasn’t like we were always going up again the Ravens defense every year.
if this is in regards to last year, then losing your top offensive player and second best offensive player, will impact you. and then Dez & Witten play fell off drastically so that's 4 of your top 4 players on offense. our offense became predictable.

I also was disappointed in linehan that he couldn't figure out to to Beasley involved. Beasley ran three basic routes against specific defenses and teams figured it out and took him out of the game. he couldn't shake it up and continued to go to the same bag of tricks expecting different results.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Right..

Problem with using what we averaged during the regular season to playoff games is the 16 games were mostly against average to less than average teams.

When you face the better teams the average it’s likely to be less.

The same reason our offense last year struggled against the better defenses like Denver and Philly.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We have a talented enough team that can handle the average to less than average teams.

Our winning percentage and production suffers against the Elite defenses and QB’s.

It’s why we struggle advancing to playoffs or in the playoffs . We don’t have an Elite enough defense to slow these Elite QB nor an Elite enough QB of our own to penetrate these Elite defenses.

It’s no accident , poor coaching or strategy overall which is preventing us from going further its not enough talent on defense and or at QB.

And why in order to even contend or advance to playoffs without either or we must have all of the Elite talent we have healthy and on the field.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s why when QB’s or defenses elevate themselves in the playoffs against the better teams it’s noteworthy and sets them apart like a signature game or event.

It can go the other way too.If a QB or defense struggles in playoffs it’s why we’ve called them good regular season performers or chokers.

Like against Green Bay. They were decimated with injuries. Our offense put up 31 points. Should have been ample to win if our defense was playing against most other QB’s but Aaron Rodgers. We just needed a litter better defense.

There really is no substitute for Elite talent at the key positions.

cern

Reaction score
We cleaned house in the d-backfield last year. No mas church, Wilcox, carr, mo, et. Al. Why? We knew what they were and none was going to get better. Same for Garrett. To quote Dennis green, he is who we thought he is. Won't get better. He'll be next.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s why I argued for years with the surrounding support or lack of it we needed a little more elite QB than Romo.

He certainly appeared enough if he had an upper tier defense and supporting cast . When he had a better supporting cast we were more serious contenders .

I have to believe with a top 5 defense we beat Green Bay in 2014 and 16 but again the Elite talent of Rodgers can often be the X-Factor or equalizing force and why I emphatically stress it’s importance on at least one side of the ball if we’re intent on being more serious contenders.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
or how a coach elevated his coaching when his star QB went down. he didn't nose dive ...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we’re counting on our coaching staff to elevate a less than an Elite QB and or defense to a championship it’s a ridiculous notion.

Who else is doing that?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It’s why I argued for years with the surrounding support or lack of it we needed a little more elite QB than Romo.

He certainly appeared enough if he had an upper tier defense and supporting cast . When he had a better supporting cast we were more serious contenders .

I have to believe with a top 5 defense we beat Green Bay in 2014 and 16 but again the Elite talent of Rodgers can often be the X-Factor or equalizing force and why I emphatically stress it’s importance on at least one side of the ball if we’re intent on being more serious contenders.
If Garrett had a top 5 defense, his offense would have still blown chunks and choked the season away in the playoffs.