Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Speculation based upon looking at how our offense typically under performs. You got anything to suggest otherwise besides your mere speculation or excuses? If so, I'd love to see it.
Elite QB’s often have their signature games in the playoffs which can often set them apart from the crowd. And their performance can elevate or overcome other defencies on their team.

Same can be said for these Elite defenses.

This is why I place so much emphasis on these two critical areas of championship contenders.

An Elite OL and RB can carry you thru wins against many average opponents but when you face these other Elite QB and defenses its usually not enough.

We haven’t had an Elite Defense or Elite enough QB to overcome our other weaknesses any further than we’ve gone . Granted we came close a couple times like in 2014 and 2016 but I don’t believe we would have advanced any further.

We just aren’t elite enough in these critical areas and why I’ve often called us like the best of the rest much I like I did Romo. And if we don’t build a great defense and Dak doesn’t develop into a Top 5 QB it’s not going to be any better.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I’m not a speculator . I draw my conclusions from the results.

Our offense as I stated earlier doesn’t typically perform as well against the better defenses and playoff teams which is to be expected .

The regular season games are mostly made up of average to less than average opponents .

It’s why we haven’t performed or fared as well against playoff or elite teams this era because we haven’t have a Top 5 defense or QB.

If you normally score 24 ppg, and their defense normally gives up 24 points, why would scoring 18 points be expected?

Gregg, what you have is what I call a "football 101" philosophy that you have clung to for the past 1-2 years. It's a great thought, it really is, but it's not a one size fits all solution like you try to make it out to be. It helps but it seems you can't move past that one thought.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you normally score 24 ppg, and their defense normally gives up 24 points, why would scoring 18 points be expected?

Gregg, what you have is what I call a "football 101" philosophy that you have clung to for the past 1-2 years. It's a great thought, it really is, but it's not a one size fits all solution like you try to make it out to be. It helps but it seems you can't move past that one thought.
Because those stats and averages from the regular season aren’t against the tougher teams you play in the playoffs.

Now if you provide me the stats and averages against the playoff teams and Top 5 defenses they played that year then compare those to the playoff games I think it would be a truer comparison.

It does fit all because no one or rarely does a team win or even play for a championship without an Elite top 5 QB or defense.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Because those stats and averages from the regular season aren’t against the tougher teams you play in the playoffs.

Now if you provide me the stats and averages against the playoff teams and Top 5 defenses they played that year then compare those to the playoff games I think it would be a truer comparison.

It does fit all because no one or rarely does a team win or even play for a championship without an Elite top 5 QB or defense.
Those playoff teams also played lesser talent to get their regular season averages. They weren't playing nothing but playoff teams in the regular season either.

And we weren't playing for championships. We were playing week 17 play in games to just make the playoffs and low level playoff games and didn't do well in those. Do we need elite QBs and defenses just to make playoffs?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Those playoff teams also played lesser talent to get their regular season averages. They weren't playing nothing but playoff teams in the regular season either.

And we weren't playing for championships. We were playing week 17 play in games to just make the playoffs and low level playoff games and didn't do well in those. Do we need elite QBs and defenses just to make playoffs?
No, not to make playoffs but to be a serious contender.

Do you really want to rehash the 8-8 seasons with teams that had no business winning more than 4 or 5 games with our historically futile defenses?

Like going one and done in any of those years would have influenced opinions on Garrett.

The achievement those years was even having a shot in Week 17 but that of course doesn’t fit the Garrett detractors narrative .. does it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

And why their stats and averages should use the same measurements.

Why would stats against lesser teams be as important measurement as against equal or greater teams?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
No, not to make playoffs but to be a serious contender.

Do you really want to rehash the 8-8 seasons with teams that had no business winning more than 4 or 5 games with our historically futile defenses?

Like going one and done in any of those years would have influenced opinions on Garrett.

The achievement those years was even having a shot in Week 17 but that of course doesn’t fit the Garrett detractors narrative .. does it.

It would influence mine because I wouldn't think back and have the feeling the team underachieved. See, Garrett supporters have to talk about Championships to make their argument. The team failed at making playoffs which were attainable and to defend that you guys have to shrug off missing the playoffs as if it doesn't matter because you THINK the team wouldn't have won anyway. Giants fans didn't believe they would win in 2007 and 2011 either, but they did. Their non-elite defense and non-elite QB pulled it off. They got hot at the right moment and took advantage of their opportunities, and the Cowboys were better than them both years.

And, if you want or rehash those 8-8 years and try to make an argument we were lucky, then we can do that. Those teams could have and should have at least made the playoffs, even with the worst defense in franchise history.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
And why their stats and averages should use the same measurements.

Why would stats against lesser teams be as important measurement as against equal or greater teams?

OK, if a defense gives up an average of 25 points a game against good offenses and bad offenses, and you take their performances against bad offenses out of the equation, do you think the number of points they allow per game should go up or down?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
OK, if a defense gives up an average of 25 points a game against good offenses and bad offenses, and you take their performances against bad offenses out of the equation, do you think the number of points they allow per game should go up or down?
Is that a serious question ? What do you think . Lol

Let me guess. You think defenses will give up more points to lesser offenses ? CMon Man

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Is that a serious question ? What do you think . Lol
Well, you seem to be questioning me using the regular season stats as a gauge of how our offense performed with the season on the line. I'm wondering why, as if those averages which include our opponents performances against lesser teams is going to invalidate my pointing out the offense under performed. LOL

Haimerej

Reaction score
Averages are not necessarily indicators of how teams will perform against each other. The NFL is about matchups. Consider all those years the AFC East sucked outside of NE, but many of those teams would play NE tough.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It would influence mine because I wouldn't think back and have the feeling the team underachieved. See, Garrett supporters have to talk about Championships to make their argument. The team failed at making playoffs which were attainable and to defend that you guys have to shrug off missing the playoffs as if it doesn't matter because you THINK the team wouldn't have won anyway. Giants fans didn't believe they would win in 2007 and 2011 either, but they did. Their non-elite defense and non-elite QB pulled it off. They got hot at the right moment and took advantage of their opportunities, and the Cowboys were better than them both years.

And, if you want or rehash those 8-8 years and try to make an argument we were lucky, then we can do that. Those teams could have and should have at least made the playoffs, even with the worst defense in franchise history.
I didn’t say lucky. I thought we over achieved at 8-8. That doesn’t mean we didn’t have a chance to win. I just didn’t expect nor thought we should.

The Giants QB played at an Elite level in playoffs much like their defense did , especially DL.

But I consider Eli closer to an Elite QB than not because he rises up to the occasion on the bigger stages.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I didn’t say lucky. I thought we over achieved at 8-8.

The Giants QB played at an Elite level in playoffs much like their defense did , especially DL.
But I consider Eli closer to an Elite QB than not because he rises up to the occasion on the bigger stages.
So, we don’t need an elite QB. We need to play better when we get to our elimination games. Now we are getting somewhere.

See, when you get to elimination games, those rankings don’t mean squat. How you play that day determines whether you continue the next week or not. That is all that matters.

And when people just want to blindly blame the defense because they were the weak link in previous games and give the offense a pass because they played better up to that point, I don’t buy it. I go by what caused the season to end that year and the offense had its role in the season ending too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Averages are not necessarily indicators of how teams will perform against each other. The NFL is about matchups. Consider all those years the AFC East sucked outside of NE, but many of those teams would play NE tough.
That’s a fair point. I’m sure their stats we’re stronger against divisional opponents if they were at or below .500 than better teams in AFC.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Agree. It is a great point. Would you look at all our elimination games collectively and say the offense performed as well as they should have and the defense is the culprit for the majority of those losses, or would you say the offense played their part in the season ending losses as well?

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So, we don’t need an elite QB. We need to play better when we get to our elimination games. Now we are getting somewhere.

See, when you get to elimination games, those rankings don’t mean squat. How you play that day determines whether you continue the next week or not. That is all that matters.

And when people just want to blindly blame the defense because they were the weak link in previous games and give the offense a pass because they played better up to that point, I don’t buy it. I go by what caused the season to end that year and the offense had its role in the season ending too.
I’d agree with some of that.

I’d only argue when comparing those stats.

Greatness and impact is often defined by how you fare against the greater teams. It doesn’t mean you suck or underachieved if you didn’t . Your possibly just not as good as you thought.

That was one of my criticisms with Romo running up big numbers against average and lesser teams but didn’t have his signature games in playoffs or week 17 games.

Part of that is the competition level and some it exposes the talent level or clutch play.

It’s why I didn’t consider Romo as elite as others. Elite QB rise up on the bigger stages.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I’d agree with some of that.

I’d only argue when comparing those stats.

Greatness and impact is often defined by how you fare against the greater teams. It doesn’t mean you suck or underachieved if you didn’t . Your possibly just not as good as you thought.

That was one of my criticisms with Romo running up big numbers against average and lesser teams but didn’t have his signature games in playoffs or week 17 games.

Part of that is the competition level and some it exposes the talent level or clutch play.
Then throw away the stats. Explain to my why my claim the offense has sucked too when the season is in the line is wrong.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then throw away the stats. Explain to my why my claim the offense has sucked too when the season is in the line is wrong.
We’d have to take each season and game on a one by one basis. Can’t lump them all together. The 8-8 endings are different from the 12 and 13 win seasons.

But I don’t think it sucked as much as it probably wasn’t as good as we thought judging on regular season games.

There’s so many contributing factors for each game and situation we can’t broadstroke it.

Just like last year would we use the Denver or Atlanta game as an example for our offense or games we were more effective and productive?

And why Jeremiah point of matchups is a good one.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We’d have to take each season and game on a one by one basis. Can’t lump them all together. The 8-8 endings are different from the 12 and 13 win seasons.

But I don’t think it sucked as much as it probably wasn’t as good as we thought judging on regular season games.

There’s so many contributing factors for each game and situation we can’t broadstroke it.

Just like last year would we use the Denver or Atlanta game as an example for our offense or games we were more effective and productive?

And why Jeremiah point of matchups is a good one.
Well. I am open minded and know about the games too. So when you have something then I would be willing to listen.

Idgit or Jeremiah may provide some insight as to why our offensive performances were up to par in the games our season could have been extended and I may be a little to harsh in judging their performances.

Last edited: