Which QB's get long term extensions past year 8 with no deep playoff runs?

GINeric

Reaction score
Certainly not the top QB money on the level or more than Mahomes. But i don't even fault Dak on this, if you were in his shoes you would also seek to drain Jerry through the nose. It is Jerry and his imbecile son who have now put themselves in this situation again. And if you all say that Dak could get this here or somewhere else because that is the market, fine, let it be somewhere else. Dak is not in the same market as Mahomes, not even in the same block or street.

Dak or no other quarterbacks in the league are on the same block or street as Mahomes....

But they're still going to get paid, because that's what the market dictates. Other than Mahomes, what quarterbacks in the league are TRULY worth or earning their max dollar contracts?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yeah, but Peyton made the AFCCG after year 6. He also took over one of the worst franchises when drafted and turned them into a perennial contender. And we’re also talking about one of the most gifted QB’s to ever lace them up. Peyton is about alike to Dak as a giraffe compares to the refractive index of ethanol.

The Eagles moved on from the Wentz contract quickly (after a massive cap hit too), and did not look back. The same might happen with Hurts. They have also been wildly more successful in the postseason than the Cowboys in the past 28 years-so that buys there GM some leeway.

And I was remarking about after year 8 with no deep playoff success (getting a huge extension). I also said other teams not named the Cowboys. If you can find many more names that fit my parameters in the initial post-go for it. I could only come up with Stafford.

Peyton threw a pick and fumbled in his first SB. Luckily his team ran for nearly 200
rushing yards. Defense scored a TD,
had 2 picks and recovered 3 fumbles.

Peyton played like crap in his SB win with Denver. He fumble twice and threw a pick. The defense carried him with 1 int, 3 fumble recoveries, scored a TD and only gave up 10
points.

In both SB wins he was carried by his defense. Especially in Denver when he was a fraction of himself at that point. I am not even going to bother looking at his 2 losses.

GINeric

Reaction score
Yeah, but Peyton made the AFCCG after year 6. He also took over one of the worst franchises when drafted and turned them into a perennial contender. And we’re also talking about one of the most gifted QB’s to ever lace them up. Peyton is about alike to Dak as a giraffe compares to the refractive index of ethanol.

The Eagles moved on from the Wentz contract quickly (after a massive cap hit too), and did not look back. The same might happen with Hurts. They have also been wildly more successful in the postseason than the Cowboys in the past 28 years-so that buys there GM some leeway.

And I was remarking about after year 8 with no deep playoff success (getting a huge extension). I also said other teams not named the Cowboys. If you can find many more names that fit my parameters in the initial post-go for it. I could only come up with Stafford.

And this highlighted section is the reason why i don't buy the BS excuses people have for Stafford.

Great quarterbacks elevate the talent around them. That's what I was told on this forum. Stafford has been trash his whole career until the Rams carried him to a Superbowl victory.

For those who may not remember, Stafford led the league in interceptions the year the Rams went on a Superbowl run. Nuff said....

Chasing6

Reaction score
And this highlighted section is the reason why i don't buy the BS excuses people have for Stafford.

Great quarterbacks elevate the talent around them. That's what I was told on this forum. Stafford has been trash his whole career until the Rams carried him to a Superbowl victory.

For those who may not remember, Stafford led the league in interceptions the year the Rams went on a Superbowl run. Nuff said....
I agree. Peyton lost 2 SB's and played like **** in his 2 wins. He certainly rose to the occasion. He did a tremendous job elevating his defense to play spectacular. Dak needs to definitely work on that part of his game.

Despite all of that I still believe he was a great QB.

plymkr

Reaction score
It's not just playoffs
It's losing any difficult game.
Agree, it’s the playoffs and losing to playoff teams in the regular season. If we played in the AFC or even the NFC south there would be no discussion of extending Dak cuz our record would be so bad. The NFC East is not doing us any favors.

GINeric

Reaction score
Agree, it’s the playoffs and losing to playoff teams in the regular season. If we played in the AFC or even the NFC south there would be no discussion of extending Dak cuz our record would be so bad. The NFC East is not doing us any favors.

So should the other players on the team get extensions as well after contributing to losses vs "good teams"?

I'm just curious, because if I didn't know any better, I would think Dak was a golfer or boxer playing an individual sport according to what I've read.

plymkr

Reaction score
So should the other players on the team get extensions as well after contributing to losses vs "good teams"?

I'm just curious, because if I didn't know any better, I would think Dak was a golfer or boxer playing an individual sport according to what I've read.
I think our FO greatly overvalues our own guys and that’s based on our record which is influenced by playing in a weak division. So in my mind the same rules apply to Dak as everyone else on the team. We should not give market resetting contracts to above average players. Because again our players wouldn’t look as good as they do if they didn’t play against weak competition for most of the season.

In my mind no one on the Dallas Cowboys should be getting market resetting deals unless we are a regular in the deep post season runs and Super Bowl. The fact we can get out of the WC round says that our players are not measuring up to the players that frequent deep playoff runs and therefore should not be resetting the market at their positions. So IMO Micah should not reset the market with his 2 whole playoff sacks and disappearing against playoff teams.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, I can hardly wait for this year's schedule :facepalm:

Chasing6

Reaction score
So when the AFCE sucked for more than a decade that was a bad thing for New England?

I am not tracking or understanding.

First hurtle is to win your division. If your division sucks, then that is a bonus and it gives you the freedom to build your team to compete with the next team in line. For us it would most likely be the Niners or teams in general that can run and stop the run.

If we are stuck figuring out how to beat the Eagles each year, then we will not be prepared for the Niners.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Most recently in the NFC?
1. Brock Purdy
2. Jordan Love
3. CJ Stroud

Hurts is sort of debatable has seen success and has gone to a SB game but too hot and cold.

In the AFC
1. Mahomes
2. Burrow
3. Lamar
Jordon Love has 1 career playoff victory.
C.J. Stroud has 1 career playoff victroy.
Lamar Jackson has 1 career playoff victroy...................in fact Lamar just signed a new $260 million dollar contract and his career playoff record.................1-3

While we are at it, lets mention Justin Herbert............he signed a new $292 million contract extension and he is 0-1 in the playoffs..........been to 1 playoff game and blew a 17 point lead and got $300 million on an extension.

So, the idea that you guys have cooked up that you have to have playoff success to warrant a contract extension is just ludicrous, there are multiple examples of QBs with very little playoff success getting up to $300 million on extensions.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This is the main issue with stupid threads this like.
Get answers then say the answers don't count.

Peyton absolutely had the same can't win big games, choked versus good defenses label at 8 years into the league.

He was 3-6 in the playoffs. Those are simple, irrefutable facts.
In another thread, somebody said "isnt 8 yrs enough, if a QB cant get it done in 8 years then its time to move on, name me a QB that sucked in the playoffs for 8 years and then won rings".

When it was brought to their attention that after 8 years, Peyton Mannings playoff record was 3-6.............well, all of a sudden the goal post start getting moved. "Well you could tell Peyton was special even though he didnt have playoff success early in his career".

But that was not the point being made, the point was 8 years is enough and thats it and name an example contrary to this............example provided..............all you could hear after that was crickets, LOL.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Exactly............the same people saying Dak cant win playoff games so let him walk are totally silent when it comes to Lamb wanting to be the highest paid WR in the league or Parsons wanting to be the highest paid defender in the league.

How many career playoff TDs does Lamb have? He sat on the bench sulking most of the Packer game, but all you guys cool with him being the highest paid WR in the game?

How many career playoff sacks does Parsons have? Never heard his name called against the Packers, did he play? But you guys cool with him being highest paid defender in the league?

I'm sorry, but if Dak should not get an extension because he loses playoff games, then logic dictates that Lamb and Parsons should not get extensions either because they dam sure have not done much to win any playoff games either. So, which is it? Everybody else but the QB gets extensions for regular season stats, but the QB is held to playoff success? If the new standard for extensions, is you have to have playoff success, then that has to be applied team-wide, not cherry pick players you do or do not like.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Here's the problem comparing Dak with Stafford - I don't think anyone thinks Dak could leave Dallas and suddenly turn into a super bowl winning QB like Stafford. Stafford always had the skills and talent, but had to play on some awful teams. Dak lacks skills and talent and has had the fortune to play on some pretty good teams and failed.

Put Dak on the KC roster the past 5 years and they don't have 3 super bowl championships. ( i AGREE) those darn caps!

Concerning your question, most teams these days aren't willing to allow a QB with no post season success to make it you year 8. Apparently this only happens in Dallas. ...(This is true now days , like garropalo, he went to super bowl and lost, and SF dumped him. Some dont get more than 3 years and are cut or traded.)
answered some above, but 1 thing u did not mention is HC and coaching in general.
Stafford didnt play under a good HC till LA.
Dak has played under JG lol and MM more lol. neither are good HC's

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
answered some above, but 1 thing u did not mention is HC and coaching in general.
Stafford didnt play under a good HC till LA.
Dak has played under JG lol and MM more lol. neither are good HC's
Good point.............coaching and surrounding talent have a big impact on a QB success.

Do people really think Purdy would be this good if he played for Carolina instead of S.F, where you have one of the best offensive coaches in the game and almost every offensive skill position is a 1st team All-Pro?

I highly doubt it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Exactly............the same people saying Dak cant win playoff games so let him walk are totally silent when it comes to Lamb wanting to be the highest paid WR in the league or Parsons wanting to be the highest paid defender in the league.

How many career playoff TDs does Lamb have? He sat on the bench sulking most of the Packer game, but all you guys cool with him being the highest paid WR in the game?

How many career playoff sacks does Parsons have? Never heard his name called against the Packers, did he play? But you guys cool with him being highest paid defender in the league?

I'm sorry, but if Dak should not get an extension because he loses playoff games, then logic dictates that Lamb and Parsons should not get extensions either because they dam sure have not done much to win any playoff games either. So, which is it? Everybody else but the QB gets extensions for regular season stats, but the QB is held to playoff success? If the new standard for extensions, is you have to have playoff success, then that has to be applied team-wide, not cherry pick players you do or do not like.
It is also ok for Micah to tell the world that he talked to GM Jeruh and made it clear he wants a big impact NT and LB. Seems like Micah clearly understands the defense needs help. He also does not want to be called out for not showing up in big games, so he wants more support around him, but Dak is a choker.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
In another thread, somebody said "isnt 8 yrs enough, if a QB cant get it done in 8 years then its time to move on, name me a QB that sucked in the playoffs for 8 years and then won rings".

When it was brought to their attention that after 8 years, Peyton Mannings playoff record was 3-6.............well, all of a sudden the goal post start getting moved. "Well you could tell Peyton was special even though he didnt have playoff success early in his career".

But that was not the point being made, the point was 8 years is enough and thats it and name an example contrary to this............example provided..............all you could hear after that was crickets, LOL.
Peyton is one example, are there more?
What I see there is peyton didnt win that superbowl till tony dungy came to town.
The HC plays a part in whether a team can have PO success or get to a SB.

Peyton got a better HC and then won not only a SB, but started having playoff success.
No matter how good the qb is , if his HC is stupid he isnt going to a SB.

Dan Cambell this year was such a HC, he hurt his team at end of the year with his go for it mentality.

His game mgmt was awful. but he was the guy who built them into a team that can get to the playoffs.
Unless Dan can learn from his mistakes this past season, ( first he has to see that they were mistakes lol)
He has hit his ceiling.
A better HC and Detroit could have been in the SB. but to many it was goff who couldnt get it done, or chokes in big games.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It just occured to me that Romo could be an example for the op too.
Tony also had bad HC's, after parcells, and even parcells made a huge mistake in 2006 having Romo be the holder AND Starting qb.
I always blamed parcells for that botched fg attempt

But tony was held onto for more than 8 years, without playoff success, by the same owner as dak lol.
But tony did have bad coaches, and for the most part sub par defenses. If not for that tony would have got to a SB, but not sure if he could
win there. Mostly he would have faced brady and a good NE team with a good defense.
So would have depended on who they had to face.
If Romo had won the 2007 giants game, he would have had to beat that NE team, and that would be hard to do.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Peyton is one example, are there more?
What I see there is peyton didnt win that superbowl till tony dungy came to town.
The HC plays a part in whether a team can have PO success or get to a SB.

Peyton got a better HC and then won not only a SB, but started having playoff success.
No matter how good the qb is , if his HC is stupid he isnt going to a SB.

Dan Cambell this year was such a HC, he hurt his team at end of the year with his go for it mentality.

His game mgmt was awful. but he was the guy who built them into a team that can get to the playoffs.
Unless Dan can learn from his mistakes this past season, ( first he has to see that they were mistakes lol)
He has hit his ceiling.
A better HC and Detroit could have been in the SB. but to many it was goff who couldnt get it done, or chokes in big games.
Dungy brought the defense. Defense wins Champions. Pretty sure I have heard that somewhere before.

Cambell and/or his GM seem to understand you build winning teams threw the trenches. We have not quit grasped that yet, at least not on defense.

Maybe Micah helped GM Jeruh figure it out. We will see how free agency goes.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Peyton threw a pick and fumbled in his first SB. Luckily his team ran for nearly 200
rushing yards. Defense scored a TD,
had 2 picks and recovered 3 fumbles.

Peyton played like crap in his SB win with Denver. He fumble twice and threw a pick. The defense carried him with 1 int, 3 fumble recoveries, scored a TD and only gave up 10
points.

In both SB wins he was carried by his defense. Especially in Denver when he was a fraction of himself at that point. I am not even going to bother looking at his 2 losses.
Are you making the point that QB’s as great as Peyton need great defenses to win in the playoffs every game? Or that they sometimes need great defenses to win playoff games? Or that it does not matter at all about playoff performance when discussing extending and building around a player?

Are we saying that Dak’s performances in the regular season rival and compare favorably to Peyton Manning?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Are you making the point that QB’s as great as Peyton need great defenses to win in the playoffs every game? Or that they sometimes need great defenses to win playoff games? Or that it does not matter at all about playoff performance when discussing extending and building around a player?

Are we saying that Dak’s performances in the regular season rival and compare favorably to Peyton Manning?
IMO he is saying peyton wasnt that good, and I kinda think the same thing, eli was better than peyton.
Peyton was glorified more than he should have been, I know he was just a bus driver with denver, dont remember the indy team or SB.

Maybe peyton was a lot like dak, so similar records, but peyton finally got a good HC , dak didnt.
Dallas wont win a SB with MM as HC.