Which QB's get long term extensions past year 8 with no deep playoff runs?

Mannix

Reaction score
------Which QB's get long term extensions past year 8 with no deep playoff runs?

This one....so, I suggest getting with the program buddy....Regular Season NFL is where it's at!!!!

FanofJerry

Reaction score
low pay?
Is that what you are saying?
So is $40 million instead of $60 million slave wages?
Then it would be 40M is too expensive if you dont win Back to Back Super Bowls

See how trashy putting moving goal posts into existence is? It never ends. Legacy

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Some of you are clinging to the fallacy that most fans hold Dak entirely responsible for not winning a SB. I guarantee that is not true.

Nobody expects any QB to lift a bad team to a championship. You can however expect a QB to occasionally rise to the occasion and make something happen when a good team struggles in one area or another.

If Dak had played a very good game, but the team lost, he wouldn't be getting this criticism, at least from most.

Dak has yet to be a difference maker and that is why he gets the criticism. (Note: you can be a difference maker and still not win the game)

If your QB needs everything to be perfect than you have a bus driver who should paid as such. That can work but only if the resources are allocated accordingly.

Chasing6

Reaction score
New England made it past the WC round often and frequently went to the AFCCG and won a couple Super Bowls. Yes the AFC East sucked but when they played teams outside the AFC East they continued to win. Unlike us. We’ve reached the step of being able to win in our division but we haven’t reached the next step of winning consistently outside our division against playoff teams. It seems like we’ve been stuck in this part of the process for a couple years.
You just made my point. If your division sucks for 10+ years, you have an easy trip to the playoffs. It increases your odds of home field advantage. It allows you to focus all your resources on beating the top teams in your Conference.

We struggling just to win our Division each year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Are you making the point that QB’s as great as Peyton need great defenses to win in the playoffs every game? Or that they sometimes need great defenses to win playoff games? Or that it does not matter at all about playoff performance when discussing extending and building around a player?

Are we saying that Dak’s performances in the regular season rival and compare favorably to Peyton Manning?
Defenses win Championships.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It just occured to me that Romo could be an example for the op too.
Tony also had bad HC's, after parcells, and even parcells made a huge mistake in 2006 having Romo be the holder AND Starting qb.
I always blamed parcells for that botched fg attempt

But tony was held onto for more than 8 years, without playoff success, by the same owner as dak lol.
But tony did have bad coaches, and for the most part sub par defenses. If not for that tony would have got to a SB, but not sure if he could
win there. Mostly he would have faced brady and a good NE team with a good defense.
So would have depended on who they had to face.
If Romo had won the 2007 giants game, he would have had to beat that NE team, and that would be hard to do.
When Dallas won their SB, was every team and their QB's all losers. I was Dallas just a dominant team?

Jayinem

Reaction score
You just made my point. If your division sucks for 10+ years, you have an easy trip to the playoffs. It increases your odds of home field advantage. It allows you to focus all your resources on beating the top teams in your Conference.

We struggling just to win our Division each year.
I'm still not sure what your point is. We've lost at home multiple times in the playoffs with Dak. His record is 1-3 at home in the playoffs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm still not sure what your point is. We've lost at home multiple times in the playoffs with Dak. His record is 1-3 at home in the playoffs.
My point is our team is not built to make a deep run in the playoffs. We struggle to just to win our own division.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Some of you are clinging to the fallacy that most fans hold Dak entirely responsible for not winning a SB. I guarantee that is not true.

Nobody expects any QB to lift a bad team to a championship. You can however expect a QB to occasionally rise to the occasion and make something happen when a good team struggles in one area or another.

If Dak had played a very good game, but the team lost, he wouldn't be getting this criticism, at least from most.

Dak has yet to be a difference maker and that is why he gets the criticism. (Note: you can be a difference maker and still not win the game)

If your QB needs everything to be perfect than you have a bus driver who should paid as such. That can work but only if the resources are allocated accordingly.
Good post. Dak is a good QB, but I agree completely that he is not a difference maker for this team. He's shown flashes, the Seattle game comes to mind where I don't think it's even close without Dak. Honestly though outside of that game is there a single game where a win would have turned to a loss without Dak as QB? Obviously I can't say for sure, ball control from the offense, limiting offensive turnovers, and the defense playing with a lead absolutely plays into it, however In the other 11 wins this year the Cowboys help opponents to 20 points or less. They also had 30+ turnovers forced by the defense this year, 6 of those going for TDs. That's where I start to be critical of a Dak extension. I'd much rather invest in a defense that is missing some pieces but has elite level players entering their prime.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Our GM and and our game plans have yet to be a difference maker as well. When the other team scores 6 TD's out of 9 drives. They had a tremendous game plan and we made zero adjustments.

Mannix

Reaction score
I knew that already, but to see it in print just furthers the case to move on....because he damn sure ain't getting to any Super Bowl going the Wild Card route. So what is the point in keeping him other than to be just Regular Season relevant????

Jayinem

Reaction score
Has any other QB lost 3 out of their first 4 home games in the playoffs in history? That's no bueno.

Edit: Lamar Jackson is also 1-3 at home.

Found another Alex Smith 1-3 who I think Dak is comparable to.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
so what would YOU pay Dak?
Dak will get paid the going rate. Or they can let him make $58M this year and be a free agent. He will then go to the highest bidder or the team of his choosing. Win-Win for Dak financially either way.

Jeruh had no back up plan, and trading for Trance was a last minute joke of an attempt.

It is not personal and just business when the RB market crumbles. It is the same for when the QB market goes through the roof.

This current team is the closest Jeruh has been to making a run in some time. So it would be a great time to shut it down and rebuild for an 81 year owner.

So at the end of the day it does not matter what Dak is worth. At the end of the day the house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

In this case Jeruh already owns the house, he is just trying to refinance it, his other option is to be homeless.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
so what would YOU pay Dak?
I dont have the inside information it requires to make the decision.

Im not going to contradict myself on the subject though.

I know if I felt I had a good team with a short window, we needed a QB and one was available that was decent but hadnt SINGLE HANDEDLY won 20 Super Bowls by himself...I would pay.

Why?

Because there are other players/coaches trying to win. Other players/coaches giving it their all in practice. Other players/coaches/fans that care about being stimulated during the season by having decent QB play instead of risking the season on a crap shoot and everyone on the teams morale being killed because of the QB situation. Because of locker room issues.

The above reasons are why QB prices are inflated...and Im not going to lower myself to lie and say I wouldnt ADD TO THE PROBLEM if I felt I was an EXPERIENCED bus driver away.

Why lie? To be king? Solid pass from me.

Jayinem

Reaction score
My point is our team is not built to make a deep run in the playoffs. We struggle to just to win our own division.
Oh then I agree. I thought you were arguing that the Patriots were lucky to have a weak division and gave them some sort of advantage over our situation because they got to play at home in the playoffs etc.... I mean they were when you just look at the division, but they pretty much took care of business against every else too.

They did have the fortune of getting (actually earning) the bye almost every time. But now it's so hard to get the bye you have to be #1 seed and we're just not good enough for that. That's on us though. If we had just beaten Arizona we would have had it this season. But even that doesn't guarantee a Super Bowl or even NFC Championship birth. If Green Bay had won their WC round we would have faced them just one round later than we did.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I've already argued the opposite, that Dak wouldn't have taken the 49ers to the Super Bowl this past season. People keep underrating Purdy, but he is actually 5 TDs to 1 INTs for his playoff career. (he's counted as 6 playoff games but only really played 5 because he got injured in the first drive against the Eagles) Dak is 14 TDs to 7 INTs. I guarantee 49ers would not even consider a Purdy for Dak trade, as they have the team they need they just need a QB not to screw it up. Dak consistantly screws it up in the playoffs. Dak is fools gold that you see him put up 40 against the Giants and just assume he could win the Super Bowl in the right situation, it's just not true. He chokes when the pressure is on, and that would not change regardless of what team he plays for. He's going to get your team in a hole because he starts slow and he's not a come from behind QB, Purdy did it twice this playoffs against the Packers and Lions, and should have won against the Chiefs but his defense couldn't stop Mahomes.

Plus it's really not fair to just plug Dak into the 49ers making the salary he makes versus the salary Purdy makes on a rookie deal. It's not even possible. The 49ers are taking advantage of Purdy being on his rookie deal.
I certainly wont knock Purdy just because hes on a good team, I think he's right there with the Daks, Cousins, etc type of QBs who if you give a great supporting cast to can take you where you need to go, but are not in that elite category that will elevate around you. I do agree with you 100% that it's not a fair comparison due to salary demands though. I'm not a fan of paying Dak record setting money and I wouldn't pay Purdy when his time comes either unless we continue to see him improve. Dak on a cheap deal that allows you to go add another 2-3 players to put you over the top? Sign me up. Dak commanding the going QB rate and leaning on Jerry to outsmart the rest of the NFL to find 2-3 under the radar players instead of participating in free agency? Not so much.