Which QB's get long term extensions past year 8 with no deep playoff runs?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Oh then I agree. I thought you were arguing that the Patriots were lucky to have a weak division and gave them some sort of advantage over our situation because they got to play at home in the playoffs etc.... I mean they were when you just look at the division, but they pretty much took care of business against every else too.

They did have the fortune of getting (actually earning) the bye almost every time. But now it's so hard to get the bye you have to be #1 seed and we're just not good enough for that. That's on us though.
They absolutely were lucky to have a weak division and it is always an advantage to have an automatic 6 wins in your conference.

During the off season, free agency and the draft, if all we had to think about was how to build a team to beat the Niners, our job would be significantly easier. We have to worry about the Eagles first. NE had to worry about no one in their division for 10+ years.

Not sure how you don't think that is not an advantage. I would take that all day long.

1942willys

Reaction score
I dont have the inside information it requires to make the decision.

Im not going to contradict myself on the subject though.

I know if I felt I had a good team with a short window, we needed a QB and one was available that was decent but hadnt SINGLE HANDEDLY won 20 Super Bowls by himself...I would pay.

Why?

Because there are other players/coaches trying to win. Other players/coaches giving it their all in practice. Other players/coaches/fans that care about being stimulated during the season by having decent QB play instead of risking the season on a crap shoot and everyone on the teams morale being killed because of the QB situation. Because of locker room issues.

The above reasons are why QB prices are inflated...and Im not going to lower myself to lie and say I wouldnt ADD TO THE PROBLEM if I felt I was an EXPERIENCED bus driver away.

Why lie? To be king? Solid pass from me.
So you punt.

Jayinem

Reaction score
I certainly wont knock Purdy just because hes on a good team, I think he's right there with the Daks, Cousins, etc type of QBs who if you give a great supporting cast to can take you where you need to go, but are not in that elite category that will elevate around you. I do agree with you 100% that it's not a fair comparison due to salary demands though. I'm not a fan of paying Dak record setting money and I wouldn't pay Purdy when his time comes either unless we continue to see him improve. Dak on a cheap deal that allows you to go add another 2-3 players to put you over the top? Sign me up. Dak commanding the going QB rate and leaning on Jerry to outsmart the rest of the NFL to find 2-3 under the radar players instead of participating in free agency? Not so much.
I'm not sure what makes you think Dak can just win a Super bowl in the right situation. The salary will always come into play so you have to fit in his 60 million or whatever he gets next time into that cap and lose good players to make that happen. Because of that, I don't see a situation much better than the Cowboys out there. So I guess what you mean is if Dak played for 20 million or less? I'm not sure, but I'm confident he will retire without a ring and so will Cousins.

Jayinem

Reaction score
They absolutely were lucky to have a weak division and it is always an advantage to have an automatic 6 wins in your conference.

During the off season, free agency and the draft, if all we had to think about was how to build a team to beat the Niners, our job would be significantly easier. We have to worry about the Eagles first. NE had to worry about no one in their division for 10+ years.

Not sure how you don't think that is not an advantage. I would take that all day long.
So you're saying if we had an easy division we would just take care of business in the playoffs with this roster? I do not agree at all. You just said we aren't built to have a deep playoff run but now you're saying it's because of our division? No, we just aren't built to have a deep playoff run PERIOD. If you're not comparing Patriots to Cowboys then I don't get your point this is a Dak thread.

Compare NFC East to AFC North where every team could have made the playoffs if Burrow was healthy. We have to worry about ONE team big deal. It is absolutely not an excuse for losing to Green Bay at home.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
So you're saying if we had an easy division we would just take care of business in the playoffs with this roster? I do not agree at all. You just said we aren't built to have a deep playoff run but now you're saying it's because of our division? No, we just aren't built to have a deep playoff run PERIOD. If you're not comparing Patriots to Cowboys then I don't get your point this is a Dak thread.

Compare NFC East to AFC North where every team could have made the playoffs if Burrow was healthy. We have to worry about ONE team big deal. It is absolutely not an excuse for losing to Green Bay at home.
That is not what I said. This roster is not even close to being complete. I said it is easier to build a roster to beat one specific team, vs trying to build a roster to be at 6 different teams.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I'm 2 pages in and so far no one who has a name to offer is answering your actual question.
Name a quarterback eight years into his playing career who’s team granted a no trade clause and a no tag clause in his contract, had his team essentially borrow cap space from his contract by pushing value to the final year of the deal, waited to do an extension, and then had his best season ever, statistically, at a time the highest paid quarterback in the league is paid $56 million per season? No quarterback has an ever been in Dak Prescott’s situation. It is unprecedented and will result in an unprecedented next contract. So to answer your “actual question”, no quarterback 8 years in, ever.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Our GM and and our game plans have yet to be a difference maker as well. When the other team scores 6 TD's out of 9 drives. They had a tremendous game plan and we made zero adjustments.
While true, that really has nothing to do with what I said, though. You seem to be one of those my point was directed at as one who think criticism of Dak stems solely from not winning a SB.

Pointing out the other flaws of the team is pure deflection away from the QB. Both of those things can be judged on their own merit. Other issues aside, did the QB play a "good" game, or not? How did he handle each situation in the moment? Did he make good decisions? Did he make some plays with his athleticism? Win or lose doesn't really matter when it comes to grading a QB, or any other player. Any player on the field can play a great game that results in a loss.

I think it was Parcells who used to say something like ' it's not the great plays that win games as much as it is the mistakes that lose games'.

1 to 10... How do you rate Dak's individual performance against GB?

Chasing6

Reaction score
While true, that really has nothing to do with what I said, though. You seem to be one of those my point was directed at as one who think criticism of Dak stems solely from not winning a SB.

Pointing out the other flaws of the team is pure deflection away from the QB. Both of those things can be judged on their own merit. Other issues aside, did the QB play a "good" game, or not? How did he handle each situation in the moment? Did he make good decisions? Did he make some plays with his athleticism? Win or lose doesn't really matter when it comes to grading a QB, or any other player. Any player on the field can play a great game that results in a loss.

I think it was Parcells who used to say something like ' it's not the great plays that win games as much as it is the mistakes that lose games'.

I don't think Dak had a good game at all. I also recognize he has not had a lot of great games when they seem to count the most. I also agree players can be graded individually.

However, there are positions that are dependent on other players doing their jobs. Grading a LT on their performance is pretty simple and has absolutely nothing to do with how Dak, Pollard or Lamb play.

However, how the LT plays absolutely impacts how well Dak, CD and Lamb can do their jobs.

A DT can be graded fairly easy. A LB can not be graded very easily, if the DT is not doing their job.

DB's can not be fairly graded, if the QB consistently has 5+ seconds to throw the ball.

This is why the the trenches are so critical to the success of a football team. If we had dominating DT's we may have been able to survive with a safety playing LB after LVE got hurt.

Our current roster is not designed to compliment and make each other better. In fact it some cases it is the complete opposite of that. The entire middle of our defense was sub par. When 7 out of your top 10 tacklers are DB's you have a significant problem.

Our team under GM Jeruh the last 3 decades is more interested in having some shinny toys that he can market and sell jerseys or he just does not understand how to build a team.

We are about to spend a significant amount of our salary cap on Dak, Diggs, CD and Micah. However, these players were already on our team and we are not close to winning a SB yet.

How are we going to get over the hump after that with very little money to add anyone else?

It was amazing to watch how great Pollard was when he had big holes to run through. Not so much wan he does not have any. It does not matter how much you pay your RB, if he has no where to run. I am also pretty confident a 5th RB can run through a big holes.

I understand that football is the ultimate team sport. A majority of our fans do not. I am not a Dak apologist, I am a realist. Dak is not or never will be Mahomes or Josh Allen, nor do I expect him to be.

That does not mean we can't build a team around him that has a legitimate shot at competing for a SB.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I don't think Dak had a good game at all. I also recognize he has not had a lot of great games when they seem to count the most. I also agree players can be graded individually.

However, there are positions that are dependent on other players doing their jobs. Grading a LT on their performance is pretty simple and has absolutely nothing to do with how Dak, Pollard or Lamb play.

However, how the LT plays absolutely impacts how well Dak, CD and Lamb can do their jobs.

A DT can be graded fairly easy. A LB can not be graded very easily, if the DT is not doing their job.

DB's can not be fairly graded, if the QB consistently has 5+ seconds to throw the ball.

This is why the the trenches are so critical to the success of a football team. If we had dominating DT's we may have been able to survive with a safety playing LB after LVE got hurt.

Our current roster is not designed to compliment and make each other better. In fact it some cases it is the complete opposite of that. The entire middle of our defense was sub par. When 7 out of your top 10 tacklers are DB's you have a significant problem.

Our team under GM Jeruh the last 3 decades is more interested in having some shinny toys that he can market and sell jerseys or he just does not understand how to build a team.

We are about to spend a significant amount of our salary cap on Dak, Diggs, CD and Micah. However, these players were already on our team and we are not close to winning a SB yet.

How are we going to get over the hump after that with very little money to add anyone else?

It was amazing to watch how great Pollard was when he had big holes to run through. Not so much wan he does not have any. It does not matter how much you pay your RB, if he has no where to run. I am also pretty confident a 5th RB can run through a big holes.

I understand that football is the ultimate team sport. A majority of our fans do not. I am not a Dak apologist, I am a realist. Dak is not or never will be Mahomes or Josh Allen, nor do I expect him to be.

That does not mean we can't build a team around him that has a legitimate shot at competing for a SB.
I think 8 years of history and 6 playoff games is plenty of evidence to show you (or at least Jerry) cannot build a legitimate contender (one that can actually just make the final 4) with Dak as the starting QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think 8 years of history and 6 playoff games is plenty of evidence to show you (or at least Jerry) cannot build a legitimate contender (one that can actually just make the final 4) with Dak as the starting QB.
With Dak as the QB? How many QB's have we had over the last 30 years?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Dak's individual performance vs Green Bay (specifically and most importantly, the first half when it mattered and before benches were emptied and prevent D installed) was the worst 1st half of QB play I have EVER seen by by Dallas Cowboy QB in a home playoff game.

Some forget that we were losing 27-7 at the half and a whopping 48-16 entering the 4th before they emptied their bench.

First 4 possessions were textbook in awful play
  1. Punt
  2. Interception
  3. Punt
  4. Interception for TD

Last edited:

Blitzen

Reaction score
I just dont think you are risking your job to move Dak. Assuming all this is real.

I think the issue is more coaching and schemes. I think the team should take some blame, not one player. I think the QB position is one of the hardest in sports. I think the bean counters know what they are doing. I think the cap will continue to rise, making yearly "setting the market" QB rates digestible after a couple of years. I think a lot of teams pay their QB significant amounts, its not a Dallas-only issue. I think if you were a GM, felt you had a good team and needed a QB and one like Purdy was up for grabs you would pay top dollar...contradicting everything you are talking about doing.
I would not extend Dak. I would cut some contracts, restructure and extend others and let him play this year on his last year of the deal.

The issue that you are also ignoring is that Dak is unlikely to be close to his current self after 4 more seasons (we will see). His speed and agility are already in the decline and anyone that has watched his entire career can see it. He will eventually not be able to beat up on the terrible teams either because of his own inadequacy or an injury. The questions I came up with in the OP was in regards to planning a longer term future with him.

He has always heavily struggled to produce against the best defenses. There are lots more QB’s out there that can produce wins against far inferior teams when surrounded by better players. Most never get the opportunity because they get exposed on bad teams (and the team drafting them does not have a high amount of draft capital or contract salary in them).

Blitzen

Reaction score
Defenses win Championships.
Expound on that. All championships require a defense to play the game? Stellar defense is a key ingredient to all teams that win the Super Bowl? Offenses are not as important to winning championships as the defense?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Expound on that. All championships require a defense to play the game? Stellar defense is a key ingredient to all teams that win the Super Bowl? Offenses are not as important to winning championships as the defense?
Not sure what to tell you. So if Dak had played great against GB and we lost 42 to 38, you would feel better today???

If we miraculously made it to the SB, you think our Defense holds KC to 25 points like the Niners did?

Or our defense holds the Niners to 22 points KC did to the Niners?

We keep expecting Dak to play phenomenal in the playoffs, when in reality Aikman did not play phenomenal in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Blitzen

Reaction score
With Dak as the QB? How many QB's have we had over the last 30 years?
I guess you could include the previous seasons as yet more proof to not trust Jerry in a run it back environment? Since that is what many are proposing is the best option.

Those early 2000’s teams had some of the worst roster talent (aside from the QB) that Dallas has ever had. They were wretched at drafting, at choosing free agents, and at football.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I guess you could include the previous seasons as yet more proof to not trust Jerry in a run it back environment? Since that is what many are proposing is the best option.

Those early 2000’s teams had some of the worst roster talent (aside from the QB) that Dallas has ever had. They were wretched at drafting, at choosing free agents, and at football.
If you could guarantee a better QB in the draft than Dak, let's go do it, but you can not do that.

All the experts praised the Niners for going to get Trey Lance. Now he is an afterthought.

Today has an article with Dak being traded to the Bears and Dallas drafting a QB in round 1.

Wait........what happened to Trey Lance????

These so called experts have no idea what they are talking about.

QB is a different animal. It is not just about being an athlete. Please see the GOAT. Tom Brady was most likely the least athletic QB in the NFL during his career.

Moving on from Top 8, MVP candidate with nothing in place as a replacement is an unbelievably stupid idea.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Dak's now thinking "with the cap increase, can I milk Jerry for 70 million per season?"

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Stafford is an example of why you don’t give up on Dak. Once Stafford got a great team around him he immediately won a championship. The Cowboys haven’t had good enough teams/defenses to win with Romo or Dak.

Jayinem

Reaction score
If you could guarantee a better QB in the draft than Dak, let's go do it, but you can not do that.

All the experts praised the Niners for going to get Trey Lance. Now he is an afterthought.

Today has an article with Dak being traded to the Bears and Dallas drafting a QB in round 1.

Wait........what happened to Trey Lance????

These so called experts have no idea what they are talking about.

QB is a different animal. It is not just about being an athlete. Please see the GOAT. Tom Brady was most likely the least athletic QB in the NFL during his career.

Moving on from Top 8, MVP candidate with nothing in place as a replacement is an unbelievably stupid idea.
First of all Dak is a fake MVP candidate. We had the third easiest strength of schedule and 2nd worst strength of victory to Miami who beat us in the regular season.

Second I'm sure the Chiefs said the same thing when they had Alex Smith and ended up with Mahomes. Both Smith and Dak get you to the playoffs that's it nothing more nothing less.

Not that I'm saying we'll end up with a Mahomes but I feel like it's 4th down with Dak and time to punt. If it sets us back I'll live with it. But why stick with Dak until he retires to prove what we already know, he can't win the big game.