Which roster is better - Dallas or Philly?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Cowboys are better at:
QB
RB
LB
CB

Wash at DE and WR

Philly takes the rest including both special teams spots

Last edited:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
A good friend of mine, who is an Eagles fan, was over for drinks this weekend, and we got into a debate about Philly versus Dallas. He pointed out a stupid fan poll, which said the Eagles were the favorites this coming season in the NFC East. I asked him what Philadelphia has done to make their roster that much better than the 9-7 team that sneaked into the back door of the playoffs last year, given the fact that they no longer have their Lord and Savior Nick Foles. He said Philly absolutely has a better roster than Dallas right now. I said I think he's crazy. As an exercise, let me know if you agree with this attempt at an unbiased assessment:

OFFENSE

QB: Philly
-Prescott has better stats and a better record, but Wentz has played extremely well when healthy. If both players are 100% healthy, Wentz might be a better QB. It's closer than my Eagles fan friend will ever admit, though.

Dak over Wentz. Dak plays his best in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line, Wentz doesn't. People only look at Wentz arm strength, ignore everything else.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
You realize this doesn’t help your case right?

Because we aren’t comparing two SB coaching staffs. We are comparing one that won a SB in two seasons to one that hasn’t gotten past the divisional round in 8 years.
Ok, the 95 Cowboys or the 94 Browns?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s not what I said. You misinterpret my words. You read what you wanted to read. Shocking..

Cooper is very talented. My point is he was inconsistent after time which he showed a glimpse of in a couple games here.

My point is specific to the comment about the Raiders trading him.

The trade is meaningless in terms of Cooper's ability. It's does not even give any indication about how the Raiders felt about him considering they traded away a great player like Mack.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ok, the 95 Cowboys or the 94 Browns?

I can’t tell if you being obtuse on purpose.

Only a true homer would continue to argue that a SB winning coaching staff is not better than one that has two playoff wins in 8 seasons.

And FWIW, Switzer was actually an underrated coach and he had a top notch staff - Zampese, Campo, Zimmer, etc. Better staff than we have now.

Last edited:

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
A good friend of mine, who is an Eagles fan, was over for drinks this weekend, and we got into a debate about Philly versus Dallas. He pointed out a stupid fan poll, which said the Eagles were the favorites this coming season in the NFC East. I asked him what Philadelphia has done to make their roster that much better than the 9-7 team that sneaked into the back door of the playoffs last year, given the fact that they no longer have their Lord and Savior Nick Foles. He said Philly absolutely has a better roster than Dallas right now. I said I think he's crazy. As an exercise, let me know if you agree with this attempt at an unbiased assessment:

OFFENSE

QB: Philly
-Prescott has better stats and a better record, but Wentz has played extremely well when healthy. If both players are 100% healthy, Wentz might be a better QB. It's closer than my Eagles fan friend will ever admit, though.

RB: Dallas
-There's no debate here

WR: Dallas
-This one is where our debate would probably start. He thinks Alshon Jeffrey is a really good receiver. I'm not all that impressed with him. He's certainly a different type of receiver than Amari Cooper, but I don't think he's better. Cooper has better stats and more Pro Bowls than Jeffrey, in fewer years. At the #2 WR spot, DeShaun Jackson is probably better than Michael Gallup due to experience. At the #3 WR spot, Nelson Agholor and Randall Cobb may be a push.

TE: Philly
-Zach Ertz is one of the best in the business, for sure, and his backup is pretty good too.

OL: Dallas
-This is actually a pretty close one too, but I think if Frederick comes back at near 100%, Dallas' Great Wall will be back in business.

DEFENSE

DE: Dallas
-With Lawrence now signed and Quinn on board for a year, I think Dallas has this one

DT: Philly
-Fletcher Cox is really, really good and Malik Jackson was a good signing.

LB: Dallas
-I don't see any logical argument here.

CB: Dallas
-This may be where my bias is showing, but I think our lineup looks better than theirs. Both teams have good young CBs, but Dallas had one Pro Bowler and Philly had none, so we win.

S: Philly
-Malcolm Jenkins is a very good safety.

SPECIAL TEAMS

K: Dallas
-Maybe ... I don't know. Neither team had a particularly good kicker this year.

P: I have no idea
-Really ... no idea

Wentz better bring it...

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
They definitely lose now if Wentz goes down. But before he got hurt led Egirls to 11 -2 record on a MVP pace.

With our roster and an elite prolific passer like Wentz Cowboys become instant serious contenders.

We’d be like Chiefs or Rams.
Wentz isn't better than Dak especially in clutch situations. Stats and wins back it up plus Wentz is soft and can't stay healthy. Guess you forget Dak has 11 straight wins which is better than Wentz 11-2. Other than Wentz second season he had losing seasons. First and third season he had more losses than wins. Dak has never had a losing record.

blueblood70

Reaction score
although we swept them last year I wouldn’t have wanted to face them in playoffs. They would have been a tough out.

If Wentz can stay healthy I don’t think we’ve seen what he can do.

With a solid defense and potential Elite QB they have the goods to go all the way.
how about even though they we have won the division 3 of 5 yrs sure they got their FIRST AND ONLY SB EVER in 17 but lets not get it twisted as die hard Cowboy Fan they had great run in 17 now its back to Blue and Silver..they got way lucky having Foles back their twice to save the day but head to head starting 22 w ehave been better.. we got shafted in 17 by RG and a lot of odd happenings..kudos to them for one year of dominance..

this season will be determined after 16 games, not before.. so this is useless thread, football is played not debated on whos better..it will be tough two horse race for sure..but im not giving them anything..:thumbup::flagwave::yourock:

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score

Only a true homer would continue to argue that a SB winning coaching staff is not better than one that has two playoff wins in 8 seasons.

And FWIW, Switzer was actually an underrated coach and he had a top notch staff - Zampese, Campo, Zimmer, etc. Better staff than we have now.
Only a true Scotsman, blah blah blah.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Wentz isn't better than Dak especially in clutch situations. Stats and wins back it up plus Wentz is soft and can't stay healthy. Guess you forget Dak has 11 straight wins which is better than Wentz 11-2. Other than Wentz second season he had losing seasons. First and third season he had more losses than wins. Dak has never had a losing record.

Dak went 13-3 with a non-super bowl roster
Yet Wentz being 11-2 with a super bowl roster fit for a backup QB is somehow an indication of him being better? It's weird.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yet Wentz being 11-2 with a super bowl roster fit for a backup QB is somehow an indication of him being better? It's weird.

That 2016 Cowboys team was a pretty talented team, especially on offense.

Trying to make them out to be slop that Dak lifted to unfathomable heights does one no favors.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
That 2016 Cowboys team was a pretty talented team, especially on offense.

Trying to make them out to be slop that Dak lifted to unfathomable heights does one no favors.

That's hyperbole.

I in no was said they were slop. They just weren't a super bowl caliber roster. Why the overexaggerations? It does no one any favors.

The starting defensive line was Jack Crawford, Tyrone, Collins, and Terrell McClain

Starting CBs were Carr, Scandrick, and rookie Brown.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m comparing their passing ability . Wentz is a greater prolific passer. I’m not measuring their winning percentage, etc. Those are team stats.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Not only that Wentz has a losing record in 2 of the 3 seasons. His stats aren't better than Daks. People forget the year Wentz was 11-2 most of his TDs came with his defense getting turnovers with him starting in the redzone. Even the eye test tells you Wentz isn't better

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score

So, the 95 Cowboys had a better coaching staff than the 94 Browns?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m more impressed with Wentz prolific passing ability. Problem is he can’t stay on the field.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's hyperbole.

I in no was said they were slop. They just weren't a super bowl caliber roster. Why the overexaggerations? It does no one any favors.

The starting defensive line was Jack Crawford, Tyrone, Collins, and Terrell McClain

Starting CBs were Carr, Scandrick, and rookie Brown.

They were more talented than you give them credit for but it makes a nice Dak feather in the cap acting like he lifted a mediocre team to new heights.

CWR

Reaction score
I’d take any of the 4 in championship games last year and probably throw in a few others in playoffs like Luck , Wilson and Rivers. There’s a few others like Rodgers, Rothleisburger , Ryan I’d take too. I rank Dak about in the middle of the pack in NFL. No telling where he’d rank without all of this talent around him.

Daks story is yet to be told. He was bad to start the season but picked it up a ton when we added Coop. If he continues in that direction we will be just fine.

Sydla

Reaction score
So, the 95 Cowboys had a better coaching staff than the 94 Browns?

Whatever you want to believe.

You are consistently missing the point so at this point, you can think whatever delusional point you want.