Whining about Penalties

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This. Also. The complete lack of calls against Philly. Everyone says they play mistake free football. However. Its easy to do that when you never get called for holding, PI, OPI, or personal fouls.
Yeah I honestly don’t understand it. They’re good as is why help them like that?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Let's conveniently forget to mention the PI call that wasn't called against the Cowboys in the Detroit game immediately prior to the Dez catch game. You just made the exact case the original OP constructed. Dallas advanced in large part due to that call, but obviously since it favored the Cowboys, it was the correct call!

This crap was 10 years ago really?

Redline360

Reaction score
As someone else stated it's not about total penalties. Its when the penalties get called would be the most important. I live basically in Eagles country and one of the local radio shows mentioned they had favorable officiating on numerous scores.

Wonder what the penalties looked like for each team in the superbowl each year. Just curious but my hunch is they would be low on overall totals

jrumann59

Reaction score
number of penalties means very little it is when the penalties are called that is key. Prime example holding, it could be called every play but it isn't and things like holding is an amorphous term because many refs seem to use judgement and pre-judgement to decide if a play is a hold. If a defensive player ends up on the ground they usually seem to flag a hold, but certain players can be put in a choke hold, cough, cough, Micah, and no hold is called.

mote

Reaction score
This crap was 10 years ago really?
Yes, but it was in response to someone commenting on the Dez catch, which was the exact same year. Point is, people have always and will always complain about calls they feel are egregious against them but conveniently ignore calls that go in their favor. You think Detroit fans aren't still livid about that call like Dallas fans are about the Dez catch?

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
refs suck everywhere and do affect games, low iq take to say otherwise
You cant tell me that wasnt PI in the saints-rams game in the nfc championship

You cant tell me the eagles werent penalized once vs the dolphins yet were holding, facemask, pi etc. The difference between a disciplined team and an undisciplined team is what theyre allowed to get away with.

heck even the eagles lost the SB over a ticky tack call

mote

Reaction score
refs suck everywhere and do affect games, low iq take to say otherwise
You cant tell me that wasnt PI in the saints-rams game in the nfc championship

You cant tell me the eagles werent penalized once vs the dolphins yet were holding, facemask, pi etc. The difference between a disciplined team and an undisciplined team is what theyre allowed to get away with.

heck even the eagles lost the SB over a ticky tack call
And yet the Eagles were called for defensive holding in the SB last year which effectively ended the game. Your point about the PI int he Rams-Saints game is valid too, but proves that referees miss calls all the time. The notion that it is biased for one team versus the other is what's highly questionable.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yes, but it was in response to someone commenting on the Dez catch, which was the exact same year. Point is, people have always and will always complain about calls they feel are egregious against them but conveniently ignore calls that go in their favor. You think Detroit fans aren't still livid about that call like Dallas fans are about the Dez catch?
None of the missed calls in the Philly/Bills game benefitted Dallas and it was chalked full of BS calls and no-calls. In fact, if there is anyone that thinks the officiating is stellar or at the very least is consistent, they need meds.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I saw poor officiating all day long yesterday when the Cowboys did not play. So I know it's not my bias for the Cowboys that makes me believe the refs are doing a poor job. The refs are just not good. This professional league deserves better. It's way past due for the commish to fix this.
Shhh, some posters are NOT MEN ENOUGH to admit what their eyes are seeing.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Ummmm looking at rankings is such a simpleton approach. Rankings doesn't take into effect the MISSED calls to favor one team. Wake me up when someone complies this. Garbage time or garbage situation penalties absolutely don't offset crucial calls.

Example: Team A gets a 50yd run called back by a ticky tack holding call. Team B is called for holding when either the game is already decided or on some 3rd and 20 play. Both are 10 yd penalties on paper and counts as one penalty. Neither are even close to having the same impact for each team.

I have no idea how this is so hard to grasp. Missed calls and allowing one team to continue to get away with holding, PI, etc while the other team gets ticky tack calls is not included in these simpleton rankings. Eagles are allowed to hold all game. So many of their big runs are because the opposing team is getting hold blatantly. Sometimes by more than 1 guy. Meanwhile the refs allow Parsons to be held on every play with zero calls.

And with condescending "conspiracy theorists" and "flat earthers" labels being given out to demean these views to seem superior, is about as corny as it gets.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Let's conveniently forget to mention the PI call that wasn't called against the Cowboys in the Detroit game immediately prior to the Dez catch game. You just made the exact case the original OP constructed. Dallas advanced in large part due to that call, but obviously since it favored the Cowboys, it was the correct call!

Wow! You called out one whole call in the last decade. Man, you sure shut this argument down. Oh wait, no you didn't. Since on that play, Detroit's WR grabbed the facemask and pulled the Dallas defender into him. Offsetting. Yawn.

mote

Reaction score
Ummmm looking at rankings is such a simpleton approach. Rankings doesn't take into effect the MISSED calls to favor one team. Wake me up when someone complies this. Garbage time or garbage situation penalties absolutely don't offset crucial calls.

Example: Team A gets a 50yd run called back by a ticky tack holding call. Team B is called for holding when either the game is already decided or on some 3rd and 20 play. Both are 10 yd penalties on paper and counts as one penalty. Neither are even close to having the same impact for each team.

I have no idea how this is so hard to grasp. Missed calls and allowing one team to continue to get away with holding, PI, etc while the other team gets ticky tack calls is not included in these simpleton rankings. Eagles are allowed to hold all game. So many of their big runs are because the opposing team is getting hold blatantly. Sometimes by more than 1 guy. Meanwhile the refs allow Parsons to be held on every play with zero calls.

And with condescending "conspiracy theorists" and "flat earthers" labels being given out to demean these views to seem superior, is about as corny as it gets.
So when McCaffery or Pollard bust out a big run, it's because of great schemes and run blocking, but when the Eagles do it, it's due to holding "all game"? That they have some of the best linemen in the game isn't relevant?

Ken

Reaction score
Out of curiosity....I went and looked at the last 10 years of Penalty Rankings.

When you average the rankings out over that span.....we're the 14th most penalized team over the decade....amongst 32 teams. SLIGHTLY more than average...as 16th would be the middle.

For you Flat Earthers out there than think the League is trying to push the Eagles through, the Eagles ranked 15th in most penalties, also slightly more than average, and practically identical to us.

And the other team "the refs love to help" ...the Chiefs...were the 13th most penalized...so more penalized than us

13, 14, 15

Dallas, Philly, KC, all the same. With Dallas sandwiched right between the 2 teams you all think are being assisted by refs.

All the same.
All the same.

But...but...but....but The Refs!

LOL. The refs...crooked as ever! (Well, since 1995 that is)

:p :D
All penalties are not created equal. Timing, impact, and score have a lot to do with them.

It isn't just the number of penalties, it is also the lack of calling them. Impacting the outcome of the game through timely and costly penalties is occuring, there is no doubt. It isn't just for the Eagles and against the cowboys. I am not sure of the critieria but it absolutely has to do with betting lines etc.

If i had to guess.

mote

Reaction score
Wow! You called out one whole call in the last decade. Man, you sure shut this argument down. Oh wait, no you didn't. Since on that play, Detroit's WR grabbed the facemask and pulled the Dallas defender into him. Offsetting. Yawn.
Made the point again. Find convenient excuse to say "right call for my team". And that's certainly not the "one whole call in the last decade" from which the Cowboys have benefited, just the most convenient one since it was the previous game to the "Dez catch" game. Did the refs make the right call there? Go ahead and justify why they didn't...

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
So when McCaffery or Pollard bust out a big run, it's because of great schemes and run blocking, but when the Eagles to it, it's due to holding "all game"? Okay.
one example from the last dallas eagles game.
Schoon (i think) was called for a hold on run
Eagles have a good run and do the exact same hold and its not called.

Similarly, Gilmore got called for a PI for nothing, blankenship tackles schoon before the balls reaches him - no PI.

Im not sold were some target, cause we get away with calls in other games, but some games across the league got you scratching your head a lot.
Browns vs the niners and colts got everything their way, KC does too, just ruins the game, call it equal is all im saying.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
And yet the Eagles were called for defensive holding in the SB last year which effectively ended the game. Your point about the PI int he Rams-Saints game is valid too, but proves that referees miss calls all the time. The notion that it is biased for one team versus the other is what's highly questionable.
honeslty i understand theyre not super human and have to watch dozens of things at once, but that was right in the refs face on that one, i couldnt believe a call could be worse than that sehawks-packers catch call with the backup refs

mote

Reaction score
one example from the last dallas eagles game.
Schoon (i think) was called for a hold on run
Eagles have a good run and do the exact same hold and its not called.

Similarly, Gilmore got called for a PI for nothing, blankenship tackles schoon before the balls reaches him - no PI.

Im not sold were some target, cause we get away with calls in other games, but some games across the league got you scratching your head a lot.
Browns vs the niners and colts got everything their way, KC does too, just ruins the game, call it equal is all im saying.
You may consider this to be NFL propaganda, but they claim a nearly 99% accuracy rate in NFL officiating. On the basis of an average number of plays being 153, then there are ~1.5 plays per game that they call inaccurately. Just because a fan "disagrees", like the so-called PI on Blankenship (which I think was such a bang bang play that it wasn't PI), doesn't meant the officials were wrong, since there will be grey areas. That said, what is striking is people stating outright that certain teams are favored for the inaccurate calls, which seems very conspiratorial and would require lots of people to be "in" on the plan. Loose lips sink ships and it's hard to believe that after decades of conspiracies (Pats, Chiefs, now Eagles) that there hasn't been a peep.
https://operations.nfl.com/officiat...have,thoroughly evaluates officials each week.

ESisback

Reaction score
Out of curiosity....I went and looked at the last 10 years of Penalty Rankings.

When you average the rankings out over that span.....we're the 14th most penalized team over the decade....amongst 32 teams. SLIGHTLY more than average...as 16th would be the middle.

For you Flat Earthers out there than think the League is trying to push the Eagles through, the Eagles ranked 15th in most penalties, also slightly more than average, and practically identical to us.

And the other team "the refs love to help" ...the Chiefs...were the 13th most penalized...so more penalized than us

13, 14, 15

Dallas, Philly, KC, all the same. With Dallas sandwiched right between the 2 teams you all think are being assisted by refs.

All the same.
All the same.

But...but...but....but The Refs!

LOL. The refs...crooked as ever! (Well, since 1995 that is)

:p :D
The NUMBER of penalties is almost irrelevant, but ironically, it’s the only way they keep track! The TIMING of the penalties is what changes outcomes.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
You may consider this to be NFL propaganda, but they claim a nearly 99% accuracy rate in NFL officiating. On the basis of an average number of plays being 153, then there are ~1.5 plays per game that they call inaccurately. Just because a fan "disagrees", like the so-called PI on Blankenship (which I think was such a bang bang play that it wasn't PI), doesn't meant the officials were wrong, since there will be grey areas. That said, what is striking is people stating outright that certain teams are favored for the inaccurate calls, which seems very conspiratorial and would require lots of people to be "in" on the plan. Loose lips sink ships and it's hard to believe that after decades of conspiracies (Pats, Chiefs, now Eagles) that there hasn't been a peep.
https://operations.nfl.com/officiating/nfl-officials-preparing-for-success/#:~:text=Currently, 121 officials currently have,thoroughly evaluates officials each week.
the airforce also say the ospreys are safe.

Once again not saying theres a conspiracy vs us, but i wouldnt be surprised if betting or bias has an influence on the outcomes of certain games.