Whining about Penalties

Jarntt

Reaction score
The Gomers have this little weird childish thing going where they call anyone who doesn't agree w/ them a fan of another team. It's really strange and reflects badly on them, but they're not aware enough to even notice.
A person would have to be an absolute moron to not know the OP is an Eagles fan. If one had not you noticed it reflects badly on them

mmohican29

Reaction score
This. Also. The complete lack of calls against Philly. Everyone says they play mistake free football. However. Its easy to do that when you never get called for holding, PI, OPI, or personal fouls.

Never seen anything like the Philly DB grabbing EVERY play.

ESisback

Reaction score
For me it’s not so much the number of penalties as it is when the penalties are called.

And also obvious incorrect/bad calls. It’s not a Cowboys exclusive issue. I think back to the Saints/Rams playoff game a few years ago with that DPI. There was also the brief stretch where they decided to make PI reviewable, and the refs were such babies they colluded to NEVER overturn any of those close until the coaches gave up trying to challenge it.

I don’t think there are biases for specific teams, but the league has an officiating problem.
I just sat through a YouTube video where a guy showed 40 bogus plays in the Dallas/Philly game that CLEARLY gave the game to Philly—Everything from bogus interference to egregious holding—I SAW IT! People can deny all day, guffaw loudly, pass out Reynold’s Wrap, whatever—I SAW IT! Deny UFO’s, not this!

SlammedZero

Reaction score
There doesn't have to be a deep conspiracy, but the officiating sucks, and I can't believe there are people out here actually defending the refs in this league. lol

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
20 year ago in the NBA I could believe the refs were crooked but for the most part I just think that it is more likely incompetence as opposed to corruption.

ESisback

Reaction score
There doesn't have to be a deep conspiracy, but the officiating sucks, and I can't believe there are people out here actually defending the refs in this league. lol
I don’t like the “C” word either, but when blatant penalties affect game outcomes to improve rating$, what do you call it? Coershion? Am I pathetic for having Reynold’s Wrap on my shopping list?

ESisback

Reaction score
Other than your own opinion, where is the convincing evidence that there is a statistically meaningful difference in timing of calls or no-calls?
That’s just common sense. When we make a huge, game winning play at the end of a game, and it gets negated by a flag, that’s timing. When Philly’s driving, and they’re hugging Parsons like a long lost brother, the refs are just standing there with their teeth in their mouths, and the Eagles are scoring, that’s timing.

Apologies, the videos weren’t notarized

kskboys

Reaction score
A person would have to be an absolute moron to not know the OP is an Eagles fan. If one had not you noticed it reflects badly on them
Or, a person would have to be dumber than a rock to think the OP is an Eagles fan!!!!!!! If you were unable to read his name, then that reflects really badly on you.

kskboys

Reaction score
20 year ago in the NBA I could believe the refs were crooked but for the most part I just think that it is more likely incompetence as opposed to corruption.
Yup, especially when a defender body slams the receiver w/ the ball in the air and without turning his head around. No call. Explain to me how that is incompetence.

Bagman

Reaction score
And yet the Eagles were called for defensive holding in the SB last year which effectively ended the game. Your point about the PI int he Rams-Saints game is valid too, but proves that referees miss calls all the time. The notion that it is biased for one team versus the other is what's highly questionable.
Its not biased towards teams. I do believe its biased for individual players. The star treatment, like the NBA. An all-pro LT gets the benefit of an extra half second grab or armbar around a pass rushers neck. An all-pro DB can contact a WR a split second early and its viewed as good technique. Newer, less established players just get flagged

kskboys

Reaction score
Its not biased towards teams. I do believe its biased for individual players. The star treatment, like the NBA. An all-pro LT gets the benefit of an extra half second grab or armbar around a pass rushers neck. An all-pro DB can contact a WR a split second early and its viewed as good technique. Newer, less established players just get flagged
Yup

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yup, especially when a defender body slams the receiver w/ the ball in the air and without turning his head around. No call. Explain to me how that is incompetence.
It's an aphorism. When given evidence of what is either corruption or incompetence it is more likely the latter.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The timing and impact of insanely bad calls are what people are tired of.

Far too many games are being decided by it in my opinion.

When one team has 10 penalties and another 1 and you see 2 blatant PI and a horsecollar penalty go uncalled fans are going to wonder what the heck is going on.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Out of curiosity....I went and looked at the last 10 years of Penalty Rankings.

When you average the rankings out over that span.....we're the 14th most penalized team over the decade....amongst 32 teams. SLIGHTLY more than average...as 16th would be the middle.

For you Flat Earthers out there than think the League is trying to push the Eagles through, the Eagles ranked 15th in most penalties, also slightly more than average, and practically identical to us.

And the other team "the refs love to help" ...the Chiefs...were the 13th most penalized...so more penalized than us

13, 14, 15

Dallas, Philly, KC, all the same. With Dallas sandwiched right between the 2 teams you all think are being assisted by refs.

All the same.
All the same.

But...but...but....but The Refs!

LOL. The refs...crooked as ever! (Well, since 1995 that is)

:p :D
Great post my man, thank you! Still some sane people left over here.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Or, a person would have to be dumber than a rock to think the OP is an Eagles fan!!!!!!! If you were unable to read his name, then that reflects really badly on you.
You obviously don't read his posts or you are wink wink "covering" for him because you came with him from another board. Whichever is the case matters not to me. It's always the Eagles threads that pull 'em out of hiding

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I wish people would keep the narrative straight. You have other threads about Hurts winning streak saying he's an average player but has the best offensive line in the league plus all sorts of outstanding teammates on offense, defense and special teams, and yet here you get the "they only win because they hold on offense and defense every play". Which is it?
It's this:

Hurts is a very good QB with excellent talent around him. The 'they get all the breaks' narrative is partly fueled by TV replays that show blatant no-call penalties and the ref is in the shot 5 yards away. Probably happens every week to every team, but no-calls in critical situations are hard for fans to stomach when they lose the game, and I'm no exception.