Whining about Penalties

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Out of curiosity....I went and looked at the last 10 years of Penalty Rankings.

When you average the rankings out over that span.....we're the 14th most penalized team over the decade....amongst 32 teams. SLIGHTLY more than average...as 16th would be the middle.

For you Flat Earthers out there than think the League is trying to push the Eagles through, the Eagles ranked 15th in most penalties, also slightly more than average, and practically identical to us.

And the other team "the refs love to help" ...the Chiefs...were the 13th most penalized...so more penalized than us

13, 14, 15

Dallas, Philly, KC, all the same. With Dallas sandwiched right between the 2 teams you all think are being assisted by refs.

All the same.
All the same.

But...but...but....but The Refs!

LOL. The refs...crooked as ever! (Well, since 1995 that is)

:p :D
I’ve never been a penalty conspiracy guy, but I’ll say this: All penalties are not created equally. The penalty itself and when it was called also matters. Where a team is ranked in number of penalties doesn’t really tell any story at all.

aikemirv

Reaction score
This. Also. The complete lack of calls against Philly. Everyone says they play mistake free football. However. Its easy to do that when you never get called for holding, PI, OPI, or personal fouls.
Yep and Slay is constantly holding the WR and does not get called. That is the reason they call him a good CB - he is excellent at holding!!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
When you have so many calls that are "Judgement" calls this will come into play, the fact is they CAN call holding on every play the opposite fact to that is when they do call holding its a judgement call since they apparently are not required to call it every play...hince your going to have pissed off fan bases when those calls go against you all game..doesnt have to be a conspiracy to be hurting the game.

mote

Reaction score
When you have so many calls that are "Judgement" calls this will come into play, the fact is they CAN call holding on every play the opposite fact to that is when they do call holding its a judgement call since they apparently are not required to call it every play...hince your going to have pissed off fan bases when those calls go against you all game..doesnt have to be a conspiracy to be hurting the game.
I wish people would keep the narrative straight. You have other threads about Hurts winning streak saying he's an average player but has the best offensive line in the league plus all sorts of outstanding teammates on offense, defense and special teams, and yet here you get the "they only win because they hold on offense and defense every play". Which is it?

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
The NUMBER of penalties is almost irrelevant, but ironically, it’s the only way they keep track! The TIMING of the penalties is what changes outcomes.
Ok....but last night for instance, the Bills were only called for a single 5 yard penalty the whole 2nd half. Eagles called for 3 penalties on their last drive to tie the game

Isn't the final drive, when ur behind, desperately trying to tie the game...the WORST time to hit a team with 3 penalties?

Deionindahood

Reaction score
Learn this, know this and live this. Its NOT THE PENALTIES. IT'S THE NON PENALTIES that have changed Philly's fortune. Their Oline and DBs get leeway that other teams simply don't get. So you can stop counting penalties.
Maybe you missed the TWO back-to-back false starts against the Eagles All-Pro center, Kelce. The were both ticky-tac calls, and both calls combined set the Eagles back to the the limit of their kicker range in a heavy rain. So how the hell you think that is leeway is beyond ridiculous. I don't buy in on the refs favor a team. That's a losers mentality.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not arguing its not great officiating (thoughbreally not their fault...it's an impossible task for 7 refs to handle the mayhem of 22 people going crazy at once)...and furthermore IF they called every single play by the letter of the law football would be unwatchable and every game would last 10 hours and end in a 3 to 6 score.

I'm just saying it isn't a conspiracy
I will concede your point that it's not a conspiracy. But the service the refs are providing is not good. IMO, it's downright unacceptable. If the refs called a perfect game your point about the game being unwatchable is absurd to me. I think the refs need to be as unnoticed as possible. When AI and robots take over this duty, that's how it will be.

ESisback

Reaction score
Ok....but last night for instance, the Bills were only called for a single 5 yard penalty the whole 2nd half. Eagles called for 3 penalties on their last drive to tie the game

Isn't the final drive, when ur behind, desperately trying to tie the game...the WORST time to hit a team with 3 penalties?
No one insinuated that situations were consistently cut and dried one way or another, only that many times the timing of the play demands more attention.

In this instance, the timing of a bad call, totally affected the out come when a late 4th quarter catch and fumble was ruled incomplete. Should have been Buffalo’s ball. No OT, game over!

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let's conveniently forget to mention the PI call that wasn't called against the Cowboys in the Detroit game immediately prior to the Dez catch game. You just made the exact case the original OP constructed. Dallas advanced in large part due to that call, but obviously since it favored the Cowboys, it was the correct call!

Not the correct call. It was bad but the team did benefit.

Ask New Orleans about the blatant PI versus the Rams and get back to me.

mote

Reaction score

Perfect timing for this video

That video is a joke. It's called confirmation bias. Where's the video "analysis" of every Cowboys snap? In most of the plays, the Cowboys player doesn't even complain. It's called football.

Jarntt

Reaction score

When you average the rankings out over that span.....we're the 14th most penalized team over the decade....amongst 32 teams. SLIGHTLY more than average...as 16th would be the middle.

For you Flat Earthers out there than think the League is trying to push the Eagles through, the Eagles ranked 15th in most penalties, also slightly more than average, and practically identical to us.

And the other team "the refs love to help" ...the Chiefs...were the 13th most penalized...so more penalized than us

13, 14, 15

Dallas, Philly, KC, all the same. With Dallas sandwiched right between the 2 teams you all think are being assisted by refs.

All the same.
All the same.

Why an eagles fan is continuously allowed to make trolling threads on a Cowboy board is kind of perplexing

Lutonio

Reaction score
For me it’s not so much the number of penalties as it is when the penalties are called.

And also obvious incorrect/bad calls. It’s not a Cowboys exclusive issue. I think back to the Saints/Rams playoff game a few years ago with that DPI. There was also the brief stretch where they decided to make PI reviewable, and the refs were such babies they colluded to NEVER overturn any of those close until the coaches gave up trying to challenge it.

I don’t think there are biases for specific teams, but the league has an officiating problem.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score

13, 14, 15

All the same.
All the same.

They are crooked

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Why an eagles fan is continuously allowed to make trolling threads on a Cowboy board is kind of perplexing
You have expressed the mindset in here perfectly.

Posting STATS....from NFL records...is trolling.

By the way...it's CowboysLakersBama fan.....Not EaglesLakersBama fan.

It says it right there in my name.

kskboys

Reaction score
You have expressed the mindset in here perfectly.

Posting STATS....from NFL records...is trolling.

By the way...it's CowboysLakersBama fan.....Not EaglesLakersBama fan.

It says it right there in my name.
The Gomers have this little weird childish thing going where they call anyone who doesn't agree w/ them a fan of another team. It's really strange and reflects badly on them, but they're not aware enough to even notice.

kskboys

Reaction score
They are crooked
Oh, there's absolutely zero doubt that something crooked is going on in the world of NFL reffing. Only thing left to figure out is exactly what it is and who's behind it.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
The Gomers have this little weird childish thing going where they call anyone who doesn't agree w/ them a fan of another team. It's really strange and reflects badly on them, but they're not aware enough to even notice.
Paranoia is rampart in here.

Everyone is an Eagle fan!

Every ref is out to get us!

The Earth is flat! When you put a marble on the ground....it doesn't even roll!