Whining about Penalties

mote

Reaction score
The NUMBER of penalties is almost irrelevant, but ironically, it’s the only way they keep track! The TIMING of the penalties is what changes outcomes.
Other than your own opinion, where is the convincing evidence that there is a statistically meaningful difference in timing of calls or no-calls?

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Out of curiosity....I went and looked at the last 10 years of Penalty Rankings.

When you average the rankings out over that span.....we're the 14th most penalized team over the decade....amongst 32 teams. SLIGHTLY more than average...as 16th would be the middle.

For you Flat Earthers out there than think the League is trying to push the Eagles through, the Eagles ranked 15th in most penalties, also slightly more than average, and practically identical to us.

And the other team "the refs love to help" ...the Chiefs...were the 13th most penalized...so more penalized than us

13, 14, 15

Dallas, Philly, KC, all the same. With Dallas sandwiched right between the 2 teams you all think are being assisted by refs.

All the same.
All the same.

But...but...but....but The Refs!

LOL. The refs...crooked as ever! (Well, since 1995 that is)

:p :D
The only thing I've noticed is the teams that tend to get a lot of penalties tend to be the teams that are poorly coached. I can't remember the team, but I used to watch 1 regularly that just didn't get many penalties maybe San Francisco under Bill Walsh. They were a very well coached team during that time.

Creeper

Reaction score
Let's conveniently forget to mention the PI call that wasn't called against the Cowboys in the Detroit game immediately prior to the Dez catch game. You just made the exact case the original OP constructed. Dallas advanced in large part due to that call, but obviously since it favored the Cowboys, it was the correct call!

I will give you the holding call. Grabbing the jersey is almost always a penalty - but not always called. The PI call I disagree with. From the video behind Hitchens it looks like interference, but from the side you can see Hitchens it not making contact. He doesn't have to play the ball if there is no contact. The picture shown in the video shows the TE making contact with Hitchens but there is space between the two players. It use to be a penalty to get in the face of the receiver and block his view of the ball but that rule was changed a long time ago.

It is very possible the ref from the wrong angle called the penalty but the ref who saw the play from the side convinced him to pick up the flag.

From the rule book:
Acts that are pass interference include, but are not limited to:

Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch;
Playing through the back of an opponent in an attempt to make a play on the ball;
Grabbing an opponent’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass;
Extending an arm across the body of an opponent, thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, and regardless of whether the player committing such act is playing the ball;
Cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him, without playing the ball;
Hooking an opponent in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the opponent’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving; or
Initiating contact with an opponent by shoving or pushing off, thus creating separation.
Note: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

I highlighted the first act and the second. The first part says there has to be contact and it has to restrict the opponent's opportunity to catch the ball. Hitchens did not make contact until after the ball arrived. Contrast this with the penalty called on the Eagles in the Dallas game. The defender ran into the receiver preventing him from getting back to the ball. That is PI. had he not made contact it would not have been PI. The defender is allowed a trailing position against a receiver.

The second part of the rule, playing through an opponent, is exactly what Slay did to Diggs. Even if he was playing the ball he cannot jump on the back of the receiver to do it. Remember when Schoonmaker was tackled as the ball arrived on the goal line? Blankenship did the same thing and was not called. These non-calls were huge and it is what happened when the Eagles played Miami too.

It is pointless to argue about a call from years ago, but it is important to know and understand the rules so we can better understand the inconsistencies and bad calls we see today.

Reaction score

When you average the rankings out over that span.....we're the 14th most penalized team over the decade....amongst 32 teams. SLIGHTLY more than average...as 16th would be the middle.

For you Flat Earthers out there than think the League is trying to push the Eagles through, the Eagles ranked 15th in most penalties, also slightly more than average, and practically identical to us.

And the other team "the refs love to help" ...the Chiefs...were the 13th most penalized...so more penalized than us

13, 14, 15

Dallas, Philly, KC, all the same. With Dallas sandwiched right between the 2 teams you all think are being assisted by refs.

All the same.
All the same.

Stats,,, lol

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I saw poor officiating all day long yesterday when the Cowboys did not play. So I know it's not my bias for the Cowboys that makes me believe the refs are doing a poor job. The refs are just not good. This professional league deserves better. It's way past due for the commish to fix this.
Not arguing its not great officiating (thoughbreally not their fault...it's an impossible task for 7 refs to handle the mayhem of 22 people going crazy at once)...and furthermore IF they called every single play by the letter of the law football would be unwatchable and every game would last 10 hours and end in a 3 to 6 score.

I'm just saying it isn't a conspiracy

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

13, 14, 15

All the same.
All the same.

Whining about penalties. It’s not the issue. The issue is the favoritism of which they’re called.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
"You all?" Lazy.
Anyone with a quarter brain knows the officiating is beyond inconsistent. It needs too be fixed because games are blatantly being affected. It doesn't have to equate to an Alien conspiracy to understand it sucks and ruins the game.
Right....it's INCONSISTENT....and HELPS us as much as it hurts us....just like every team.

We aren't put at a greater disadvantage than anyone else....so not worth bellyaching over

We haven't been "wronged" or targeted.

We are what we are based on our own merits. So is Carolina. So is Philly.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Please, please don't mess with the shallow thinkers
If you don’t think this favoritism. You’re not paying attention. I didn’t believe it or Buy into the propaganda. But outright blatant referee, smiling patting a player on the shoulder. As if to say, I’m on your side.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The only way to beat the penalties missed calls. Is not to have them. Yes I get that. But what do we do when they aren’t any at all and they still call a penalty?

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Whining about penalties. It’s not the issue. The issue is the favoritism of which they’re called.
And it looks like we have equal favoritism as Eagles and chiefs...all 3 of us right in the middle of the road.

Unless you think the record keepers are also "in on it" and aren't keeping penalties stats accurately

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And it looks like we have equal favoritism as Eagles and chiefs...all 3 of us right in the middle of the road.

Unless you think the record keepers are also "in on it" and aren't keeping penalties stats accurately
I’m still not sure. I believe the refs are a conspiracy. I think they just suck. it seems the Home team gets the benefit of a doubt including us. When I see a referee, throwing a flag against a player and then patting him on the back to say you know, I had no choice. Somethings not right.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
25 games in the last 15 years with zero penalties.

Cowboys were the opposition in 4 of the 25.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
When we were called for an illegal huddle negating a 50 yard pass and totally altering the game.

That's the one that told me refs will go above and beyond to not show favoritism to the favorite team to the point that they overcompensate and get things wrong on a more regular basis than other teams.

There’s other examples we all know. Unique penalties.

DripTooHard

Reaction score

13, 14, 15

All the same.
All the same.

But did Dez catch it though?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Other than your own opinion, where is the convincing evidence that there is a statistically meaningful difference in timing of calls or no-calls?
Oh, this nonsense. "Qualify something that didn't happen or it's not true!"

Lucky for us, EPA per penalty is a thing, even though it's not well tracked.
https://www.sportsinfosolutions.com/2019/03/27/quantifying-the-impact-of-penalties/
https://sumersports.com/the-zone/lu...PA surrendered from season,stable (r = 0.211).

But beyond that, you don't see the mEaNiNgFuL dIfFeReNcE between calling the horsecollar on Reddick to give first and goal at the 2 instead of the intentional grounding leading to a field goal attempt? Good luck explaining how you don't see the difference there.

CowboysSpursandAstros

Reaction score

13, 14, 15

All the same.
All the same.

Lol, the teams you're a fan of. Hey, whatever works for ya man!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This. Also. The complete lack of calls against Philly. Everyone says they play mistake free football. However. Its easy to do that when you never get called for holding, PI, OPI, or personal fouls.
Against Dallas, Philly had the same number of penalties called against them as Dallas did (10 each) and for slightly more yards than Dallas (98 yards against Philly vs. 83 yards against Dallas)

CowboysSpursandAstros

Reaction score
And as far as the penalties, the Cowboys absolutely do get hosed moreso in big games against the Roger Goodell, NFL, and ESPN approved teams. It probably only balances out to "average" as the NFL is not really looking to hose us against the bottom feeders unless it affects the Eagles divison lead over us. But definitely buyer beware against a team like the Eagles in the playoffs.