Who’s decision was it to make Pollard the primary back?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wentz got them to a Super Bowl, duh.

The argument was that since pollard got paid he needs to be the starter…which is something losing teams do. Jerry refuses to admit mistakes and won’t move on…see Clapper…

Pollard isn’t the guy, he needs to find the guy
And where’s Wentz now?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Rinse and repeat. This is what Jones does. Turns mediocre players into starters. Felix Jones 2.0

DuncanIso

Reaction score
should have drafted a RB in the 1st.

Let Tony walk.

Find a solid RB2.

Hind sight is 20/20.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Zeke had lost a lot but he was money on short yardage downs. Especially inside the 10. Big reason why the offense was so successful in the red zone last year. I’m not saying they should’ve kept Zeke, but they should’ve found a tough 3rd down back. They should give Luepke a chance. See what he can do.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yeah, we could have put Zeke at QB and did the brotherly push with him. The other guy has weak legs.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
About 95% of the people on this board. I know it sounds cold but did not want to resign him after that injury he had in last years playoff lost.
Why do I feel like Jerry just views an injury as a cost-saving contract? Do we have a single player who has come back at same skillset after these major injuries?

Pollard, Gallup, Jourdan Lewis, Steele, and even Dak.

At least they were smart enough to franchise this one. #1 thing that gets this board whining -- The QB. #2 -- bad contracts. LOL

jgboys1

Reaction score
Why do I feel like Jerry just views an injury as a cost-saving contract? Do we have a single player who has come back at same skillset after these major injuries?

Pollard, Gallup, Jourdan Lewis, Steele, and even Dak.

At least they were smart enough to franchise this one. #1 thing that gets this board whining -- The QB. #2 -- bad contracts. LOL
Yes. Giving pollard the franchise tag definitely saved our butts. Too bad we couldn't keep Dak on a franchise tag Indefinitely.

Praxit

Reaction score
..Get Rico/Luepke more involved. TP cant handle the load.

Not built that way.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not everyone. Certain ...haters...said we'd be fine.

There were a few...ronnie, for one...that said fix the o-line...and he will.
Yeah I stand by that.. The biggest problem with the running game right now is the blocking. I never expected Pollard to continue to crank out 5 yards a pop and one or two 20 yard runs every game once they made him the lead dog. No one should have thought that. But right now the line (and the tight end group) is doing him no favors. But thankfully the line issues can be fixed. Keep the starting five upright for a few games and I think we can start mauling fools and we will then see Pollard take off! The caveat would be the tight ends and receivers. With the departure of Noah Brown and Cedric Wilson the Cowboys no longer have a single wide receiver I would consider to be a plus blocker. Think about the long pass play that Pollard got snatched on. If Michael Gallup finishes that block on Samuel that's a touchdown. I have stated over and over again that you don't get long runs in the NFL without downfield blocking. Right now we have none of the later which is largely responsible for the lack of the former.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. He was decent as a third down, back up to Zeke ... but no way is he built to be a bell cow back.

There was no reason why we couldn't have drafted a decent RB in the middle rounds. Achen comes to mind.

Then again, it's Jerry Jones the football maverick. Wanting to do things his way.
Imagine writing that Pollard is a good 3rd down back then advocating for Achane who is 20 lbs lighter and after two weeks of taking hits he immediately landed on IR.

People just wake up and write anything on this app.

John813

Reaction score
should have drafted a RB in the 1st.

Let Tony walk.

Find a solid RB2.

Hind sight is 20/20.

After Robinson and Gibbs went early, there was no RB worthy in the first at least at that time.
Achane has been nuts for Miami but was always seen as a day 2 back and sort of the same type of back as Pollard.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dude. The idea that Jerry had more than a passive awareness of Jones is a stretch and the idea that he thought RJ was some kind of answer is just silly.

We had RB needs. I really don’t think that RJ, half a step from being cut or at best on the PS, was part of Jerry’s plan doesn’t make any sense.

Let’s be upset that we didnt properly address RB but let’s take Jones out of the discussion.
Some of us were saying that we approached the running back position this year like we approached the receiver position last year.

We cut/traded a starter whose production didn't match his cost (Elliott/Cooper).

We paid his planned replacement as starter coming off a big injury (Pollard/Gallup).

We signed a cheap FA to fill in, share snaps, counting on him to be better than what he had shown (Jones/Washington).

We spent a non-premium pick on an option in case that didn't work out (Vaughn/Tolbert).

We're giving more snaps to a different player because things didn't work out how we hoped they would (Dowdle/Brown).

The Joneses have proven that they are not a proactive front office and don't easily learn from their mistakes.

Again, this is not about having a problem with Pollard (which some do seem to have). It's about not planning well.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
So funny, except for a few Zeke fanatics, you guys all called for making Pollard #1 over Zeke. I don’t care who the RB is, if the OL doesn’t run block consistently, it doesn’t work.

Aven8

Reaction score
I don’t get the runs right up the Centers butt over and over…….