Who’s decision was it to make Pollard the primary back?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don’t get the runs right up the Centers butt over and over…….
I do... they're designed to draw the linebackers up so you can hit passes in behind them and in front of the safeties. It also keeps them from dashing out into the passing lanes to cover the flats. They're also the football equivalent of a body blow. You just keep hitting that soft underbelly and eventually you break through. Problem is, our line has been banged up and thus unable to truly exert stress onto the front seven of the defense and frankly Pollard simply doesn't have enough rocks in his pocket to exact much toll on them either.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Pollard isn't critical to the offense. They wanted a high flying passing attack.
Whoops!
I mean as much as you post you should luck into a valid comment once in a while..but nope...this is the exact opposite of everything they said this off season.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Some of us were saying that we approached the running back position this year like we approached the receiver position last year.

We cut/traded a starter whose production didn't match his cost (Elliott/Cooper).

We paid his planned replacement as starter coming off a big injury (Pollard/Gallup).

We signed a cheap FA to fill in, share snaps, counting on him to be better than what he had shown (Jones/Washington).

We spent a non-premium pick on an option in case that didn't work out (Vaughn/Tolbert).

We're giving more snaps to a different player because things didn't work out how we hoped they would (Dowdle/Brown).

The Joneses have proven that they are not a proactive front office and don't easily learn from their mistakes.

Again, this is not about having a problem with Pollard (which some do seem to have). It's about not planning well.
I agree completely. I advocated for drafting a back and said all along that Pollard would not be successful as a RB1

leeblair

Reaction score
I mean as much as you post you should luck into a valid comment once in a while..but nope...this is the exact opposite of everything they said this off season.
Yeah.
That's why they added receiver talent but let Elliott go.
Can't you see what's really on their minds?

bewp7

Reaction score
pu know who the one who franchise him

all i know is this team need to stop investing so much in rb

zeke huge contract
pollard franchise tag

this is a waste it is ok if u have purdy on a 7th rd contract or dak on his rookie contract but not now

what ever u think u want to invest in rb just put it into ol u will be much better off

goshan

Reaction score
He's simply not a number one back. He's excellent as a backup and a change of pace but he simply doesn't have it and he's too small.
Man u guys are so uninformed. How big is McCaffrey compared to Pollard?
Pollard is the perfect size and type of athlete for the primary back in a 2 back system (good RCVR, elusive, speed). Hardly anyone does the 'bell cow' thing any more. It's not even a relevant argument.

conner01

Reaction score
They're not using him right.... he's not a bell cow
I don’t they use him right and it’s not about being a bell cow or not. It’s about running straight up the middle time and time again. He’s just like CMC and those guys you get them in space. Run him more on the edge and use him more in the passing game

ArtClink

Reaction score
Whomever it was should be fired. PLEASE TRADE FOR A REAL #1 RB!
That would be our hc Jerry Jones. I assume you don’t think Jerry has given any more authority to Big Mac than Dave “El Campo”, or “Charlie Chan” Gailey, or Wade “Cupcake” Phillips, or Carrott Top.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not everyone. Certain ...haters...said we'd be fine.

There were a few...ronnie, for one...that said fix the o-line...and he will.
Yeah, I was surprised to hear that from Ron, as I deeply value his opinion. Oh well, we're all wrong sometimes!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
So funny, except for a few Zeke fanatics, you guys all called for making Pollard #1 over Zeke. I don’t care who the RB is, if the OL doesn’t run block consistently, it doesn’t work.
Not even close to all. I'd say offhand that it was around 50-50.

kskboys

Reaction score
After Robinson and Gibbs went early, there was no RB worthy in the first at least at that time.
Achane has been nuts for Miami but was always seen as a day 2 back and sort of the same type of back as Pollard.
Charbonnet was considered 1st round talent.

However, I agree we didn't need to go RB in the 1st, that would've been a mistake. Not taking a pounder at all was the mistake, and it becomes more glaring w/ every game.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I don't think size is the issue. There are other starting running backs his size who do perfectly fine. I do think role is the issue. I think Pollard is a role-playing back who we are treating like Ezekiel Elliott, requiring a bunch of middle runs to tighten up the defense when he needs to run outside-in. I don't know if durability is an issue, but certainly when he got more carries last year, his body didn't hold up to it.

His numbers last year (and Elliott's numbers) showed that Pollard deserved more of a chance to carry the ball, but there is a difference in what is asked of the starter and what is asked of the change of pace. Fans (and front offices, too) fall into the trap of believing what a player accomplishes in a backup/change-of-pace role will translate to what he accomplishes in a starter role. Sometimes it does, but often it does not. He's still averaging 4.2 per carry and anyone who was expecting him to average 5.2 like he did last year when he was sharing the load wasn't being realistic. Football is a complementary game, and we have no complement to let him do what he does best.
Watch the games much?

The blocking schemes and blocking itself has been mediocre at best! Pollard is a quality back. He is not the issue!

Some of you people have no clue.