Who are the most overrated players on this team?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
SWG9;4062748 said:
The conversation begins and ends with Mike Jenkins.

He was utterly terrible last year in all phases of the game. He couldn't cover anyone (statistically speaking, he was the worst starting CB in the NFL), he was an penalty machine, and his effort (once again) was lacking, to say the least.

So sum up, he doesn't try hard, he's doesn't care, and he's not very good.

In any other NFL city, he would either be benched or cut, but in Dallas, he's back as the starter with no real competition. It's mindboggling.

Say what you will about Newman, Spears, et al., but despite their flaws, they're professional football players that show up and do their jobs to the best of their ability. Mike Jenkins; not so much.

I really do not know what this guy has done to be given this long of a leash. Since I can already hear people typing "BUT TEH 2009 PRO BOWL!!!" as a response, I'll respecfully submit that players with more talent than Mike Jenkins have been cut or benched for a lot less.

Who would you have brought in for competition?

How long do you think Jenkins would be unemployed if the Cowboys cut him today?

Did you watch him play in 2009?

I respectfully submit that you are nuts. :laugh1:

Not saying he is the next great shutdown corner but will not be surpised when he shuts up his detractors this season and holds down that position very well as long as the right staff is in place to keep him motivated.

Tricericon

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4062514 said:
Some things were mentioned in Dez's defense

#1 He only played 14 games
#2 8.5 of those games were played with Kitna
#3 He missed much of training camp
#4 He played much of the year injured, in fact I believe he missed considerable time although he didn't outright miss full games, early on.
#5 When was the last time he played football before being drafted?

#2 was in Dez's favor; he clicked with Kitna, far more than with Romo.

shnagy

Reaction score
SWG9;4062748 said:

He was utterly terrible last year in all phases of the game. He couldn't cover anyone (statistically speaking, he was the worst starting CB in the NFL), he was an penalty machine, and his effort (once again) was lacking, to say the least.

In any other NFL city, he would either be benched or cut, but in Dallas, he's back as the starter with no real competition. It's mindboggling.

Say what you will about Newman, Spears, et al., but despite their flaws, they're professional football players that show up and do their jobs to the best of their ability. Mike Jenkins; not so much.

I really do not know what this guy has done to be given this long of a leash. Since I can already hear people typing "BUT TEH 2009 PRO BOWL!!!" as a response, I'll respecfully submit that players with more talent than Mike Jenkins have been cut or benched for a lot less.

This would make sense if people said he was awesome last year. :rolleyes:

cowboys2233

Reaction score
SWG9;4062748 said:

You've convinced me. It IS Mike Jenkins. And now I HATE Mike Jenkins.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Fat Toad;4062066 said:
all rookie receivers gaining at least 748 yards in a season, during the last decade:
Anthony Armstrong, WAS, 871 in 2010
Mike Williams, TB, 964 in 2010
Percy Harvin, MIN, 790 in 2009
Jeremy Maclin, PHI, 762 in 2009
Hakeem Nicks, NYG, 790 in 2009
Mike Wallace, PIT, 756 in 2009
DeSean Jackson, PHI, 920 in 2008
Eddie Royal, DEN, 980 in 2008
Dwayne Bowe, KC, 995 in 2007
Calvin Johnson, DET, 756 in 2007
Marques Colston, NO, 1038 in 1193
Keary Colbert, CAR, 754 in 2004
Lee Evans, BUF, 843 in 2004
Larry Fitzgerald, ARI, 780 in 2004
Roy Williams, DET, 817 in 2004
Anquan Boldin, ARI, 1377(!) in 2003
Andre Johnson, HOU, 976 in 2003
Chris Chambers, MIA, 883 in 2001

You are now on record as having called the recently cut Roy Williams a great receiver. :p:

More seriously, that was a better list of names than I expected; Dez is on track to be a successful first-round wide receiver. However, it's still not quite enough to justify the ridiculous hype built up around the kid; calling him Harvin/Maclin/Nicks/Armstrong good is probably justified, or at least almost, but calling him Fitzgerald/Austin good isn't, not yet.

No, no, no! You're missing a stat that might be important, TD receptions. No! But truthfully, this is a longer list than I anticipated. But I would be curious to see TD totals for these guys.

SWG9

Reaction score
Vtwin;4063014 said:
Who would you have brought in for competition?

How long do you think Jenkins would be unemployed if the Cowboys cut him today?

Did you watch him play in 2009?

I respectfully submit that you are nuts. :laugh1:

Not saying he is the next great shutdown corner but will not be surpised when he shuts up his detractors this season and holds down that position very well as long as the right staff is in place to keep him motivated.

Here's exhibit A of what I was talking about.

Yeah, he was great in the second half of 2009. I don't doubt that he has *some* talent (although it's drastically overrated on this board), I just doubt that he has the proper discipline and motivation to maximize that talent.

Keep in mind lack of motivation was a major knock on him coming out of college.

We've been down this road enough times with Antonio Bryant types to see that it usually doesn't go anywhere productive. It's the NFL; talent is just good enough to get you in the door, work ethic is what takes you places.

To answer your question, I would have tried to sign any of the vets that were out there in FA to give us an option if Jenkins goes down in flames again this season.

SWG9

Reaction score
shnagy;4063024 said:
This would make sense if people said he was awesome last year. :rolleyes:

Man, read some of the posts around here. People rag on Newman, Spencer, and James 10 times more than they rag on Jenkins.

Just look at this thread.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'm thinking you must have missed the entire season here last year where Jenkins was destroyed on a pretty much weekly basis on the boards.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Dez #1 by a long shot.
Tashard Choice #2, the next Hambrick?
Arkin/Nagy - people are expecting the next Larry Allen already?!

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
SWG9;4063063 said:
Here's exhibit A of what I was talking about.

Yeah, he was great in the second half of 2009. I don't doubt that he has *some* talent (although it's drastically overrated on this board), I just doubt that he has the proper discipline and motivation to maximize that talent.

Keep in mind lack of motivation was a major knock on him coming out of college.

We've been down this road enough times with Antonio Bryant types to see that it usually doesn't go anywhere productive. It's the NFL; talent is just good enough to get you in the door, work ethic is what takes you places.

To answer your question, I would have tried to sign any of the vets that were out there in FA to give us an option if Jenkins goes down in flames again this season.

You didn't answer all the questions.

How long would Jenkins remain unemployed if he were cut today?

He had a tough year last year. He had a great year the year before. I don't believe you can be "lucky at the CB position. He has proven he can do it. For all his troubles last year he did have a ton of 'just missed' plays.

Like has been said... he gets SLAMMED all the time on this board so there is no overrating him.

I do think he is being underrated though. We'll find out here shortly.

SWG9

Reaction score
Vtwin;4063213 said:
You didn't answer all the questions.

How long would Jenkins remain unemployed if he were cut today?

He had a tough year last year. He had a great year the year before. I don't believe you can be "lucky at the CB position. He has proven he can do it. For all his troubles last year he did have a ton of 'just missed' plays.

Like has been said... he gets SLAMMED all the time on this board so there is no overrating him.

I do think he is being underrated though. We'll find out here shortly.

I don't dispute that he would be signed; he's a former 1st round draft pick that's shown flashes in the past, there's no doubt someone would talk themselves into it as reclamation project.

I just reviewed the entire 7 page thread, from what I can see one poster before me mentioned Jenkins as overrated. So if you're keeping count, he got the same number of votes as DeMarcus Ware and less than Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, and Doug Free. Does that make any sense at all?

I don't doubt that he was (rightfully) slammed last year, it's just funny how quickly people forget.

I personally have seen enough of Jenkins. Inconsistent players with poor attitudes rarely pan out and simply are not conducive to winning. Yeah, he'll show some flashes when things are going well, but he loses confidence and quits when things get tough. You just can't win with guys like that.

I ultimately think his poor tackling will be his downfall since RR has stressed that you can't play in his defence if you don't tackle, but as you said, we'll find out a lot this year.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
SWG9;4063303 said:
I personally have seen enough of Jenkins. Inconsistent players with poor attitudes rarely pan out and simply are not conducive to winning. Yeah, he'll show some flashes when things are going well, but he loses confidence and quits when things get tough. You just can't win with guys like that.

Me too. I HATE Mike Jenkins. Classic case of "came too easy in rookie year, didn't think he had to work hard to continue to improve ("Why should I? I'm a pro-bowler in my rookie year!"), predictably sucked in his 2nd year, refuses to talk to reporters because he's a little BITC *."

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
SWG9;4063303 said:
I just reviewed the entire 7 page thread, from what I can see one poster before me mentioned Jenkins as overrated. So if you're keeping count, he got the same number of votes as DeMarcus Ware and less than Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, and Doug Free. Does that make any sense at all?

I don't doubt that he was (rightfully) slammed last year, it's just funny how quickly people forget.

How can someone that is "rightfully slammed" be considered as being overrated?

In other words. Most think he sucks. That doesn't sound like he fits in the overrated category to me.

Does it to you?

He is a youngster who has shown he can play very well. This is the year that will tell us all we need to know about him. I have hope for the kid because he has shown he can do it.

Hopefully next year we can debate on whether or not he is overrated.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Ugly thread....I think the point of the thread is to ask who one thinks is over rated, as in, a good player but not as good as we think.

So, in that regard, I think that Bradie James is not as good as we (I) think. I don't know, but I think all our LBs, except for DWare, are average at best. I hope that as this team moves forward, we look at the LB position very closely. I'm fairly excited to see what the Bruce Carter has to offer when healthy.

Still, ugly thread....

baj1dallas

Reaction score
AdamJT13;4061711 said:
I agree with this. Nobody on this team can escape irrational criticism.

Yet there are plenty of guys (namely Dez) getting irrational praise. You have people who are already claiming him and Miles are the top receiving duo in the NFL!

cowboys2233

Reaction score
baj1dallas;4063516 said:
Yet there are plenty of guys (namely Dez) getting irrational praise. You have people who are already claiming him and Miles are the top receiving duo in the NFL!

It's not irrational praise. It's called "projection."

projection (prə-jĕk'shən)

A prediction or an estimate of something in the future, based on present data or trends.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Gotta add Tanner on here now that I compared him to Jerry Rice yesterday lol.

(Comment was about his 40 time not being that important)

cowboys2233

Reaction score