Who are the most overrated players on this team?

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Modus;4061868 said:
Ehh, that's not necessarily true either.

Assuming that Dez Bryant is better than Miles Austin, for example. Dez would be making more than Miles. Miles Austin is worthy for the $45 million he's slated to make over the life of his contract. That doesn't make him overrated compared to Dez. It speaks more to the talent level Dez has as a sophomore.

As I said, it's the best we've got. Because without some standard measure of "rating," this debate will go nowhere fast. But I certainly agree with you on the fact that a players salary can be more telling of how he was rated at one point, rather than where he's rated now. For instance, Desean Jackson (and you mentioned Chris Johnson) are slated to make less than $1 million this season but in the eyes of the general public, they have a much higher rating than that. Dunno the solution.

TheRat

The Silly Willy
Reaction score
cowboys2233;4061795 said:
You're putting the guy down because he intercepted Peyton Manning twice and returned one for a touchdown?
A 3-4 ILB should be good against the run. that is his primary responsibility

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Muhast;4061869 said:
Well I will say, threads like this show you how intelligent our fan base is at times. Some of the names you see in here:

Ware and Witten as being overrated are simply laughable.

I guess we all have different definitions as to what that word means

I think some are trying to make the point that in the eyes of many, Ware is the best thing since Lawrence Taylor. They might still personally believe he's a top-five player at his position, but based on the "hype" surrounding him, he's overrated.

That is not MY stance personally, I think if anything, Ware might be a bit underrated. Which seems odd to say considering he's a star player on America's Team. But it seems like guys like Clay Matthews and Harrison get more pub than Ware does, as did Jared Allen a couple of years ago. But of course, their teams are/were winning, which accounts for a lot of it.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
TheRat;4061876 said:
A 3-4 ILB should be good against the run. that is his primary responsibility

Yeah, but suggesting that he is not good against the run because he intercepted Peyton Manning twice is backwards logic. I don't necessarily disagree with you on this point at this time, but you can't really use that example to support your point.

dboy214

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday;4061587 said:
Bradie James, Spencer and Lee for me. Every time I watch the Steelers defense I drool over their LBs. They are so much more diverse and physical then Dallas' LBs. I cant remember the last time one of our LBs outside Ware was able to win a one on one match up to get to the quarterback. To me, watching these guys get stoned at the LOS is as painful as watching Julius Jones run into the back of his offensive linemen.

I think expectations of what Bennett is are higher then they should be. He is a blocking TE, he is never going to be another Jason Witten in the passing game. To me he is like a Daniel Graham type player.

I agree 100% with this post. Compare the physicality of bradie james and sean lee with the Steelers linebackers. It's night and day.

rkell87

Reaction score
btcutter;4061813 said:
it's possible but it didn't happen.

The expectation on this board of Dez is through the roof. that's why I think he's overhyped. I hope I am wrong.
i think i am going to quote and bold every post with this phrase in it....i may triple my post count by next week

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Doomsday;4061587 said:
Bradie James, Spencer and Lee for me. Every time I watch the Steelers defense I drool over their LBs. They are so much more diverse and physical then Dallas' LBs. I cant remember the last time one of our LBs outside Ware was able to win a one on one match up to get to the quarterback. To me, watching these guys get stoned at the LOS is as painful as watching Julius Jones run into the back of his offensive linemen.

I think expectations of what Bennett is are higher then they should be. He is a blocking TE, he is never going to be another Jason Witten in the passing game. To me he is like a Daniel Graham type player.

I should have listed Bradie James, I just really thought he was going to be a star a few years back, but I will never forget how Jon Kitna said he was so predicable when he was the Lions QB.

Tricericon

Reaction score
cowboys2233;4061786 said:
Nonsense. Projecting out his rookie stats over a full 16 games..

60 receptions, 749 yards, 8 tds (not including punt returns).

Larry Fitzgerald's rookie stats...

58 receptions, 780 yards, 8 tds.

The reason people put him in the same category as Larry Fitzgerald is because he IS Larry Fitzgerald. With his 2 punt return tds, some could argue Dez actually had a better rookie season (or was on pace to). All this while playing with a backup QB half the time. Go ahead and find WRs that had a better rookie season than Dez. Randy Moss is one. Any others?

You don't put up these types of numbers as a rook WR without being great, you just don't.

all rookie receivers gaining at least 748 yards in a season, during the last decade:
Anthony Armstrong, WAS, 871 in 2010
Mike Williams, TB, 964 in 2010
Percy Harvin, MIN, 790 in 2009
Jeremy Maclin, PHI, 762 in 2009
Hakeem Nicks, NYG, 790 in 2009
Mike Wallace, PIT, 756 in 2009
DeSean Jackson, PHI, 920 in 2008
Eddie Royal, DEN, 980 in 2008
Dwayne Bowe, KC, 995 in 2007
Calvin Johnson, DET, 756 in 2007
Marques Colston, NO, 1038 in 1193
Keary Colbert, CAR, 754 in 2004
Lee Evans, BUF, 843 in 2004
Larry Fitzgerald, ARI, 780 in 2004
Roy Williams, DET, 817 in 2004
Anquan Boldin, ARI, 1377(!) in 2003
Andre Johnson, HOU, 976 in 2003
Chris Chambers, MIA, 883 in 2001

You are now on record as having called the recently cut Roy Williams a great receiver. :p:

More seriously, that was a better list of names than I expected; Dez is on track to be a successful first-round wide receiver. However, it's still not quite enough to justify the ridiculous hype built up around the kid; calling him Harvin/Maclin/Nicks/Armstrong good is probably justified, or at least almost, but calling him Fitzgerald/Austin good isn't, not yet.

Ren

Reaction score
Everyone on Defense not named Ware or Ratliff

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
The most overrated player on the team is easily Dez Bryant, simply because the majority of this fanbase already considers him a top 10 receiver. A distant second is Orlando Scandrick.

TheRat

The Silly Willy
Reaction score
cowboys2233;4061883 said:
Yeah, but suggesting that he is not good against the run because he intercepted Peyton Manning twice is backwards logic.

Good thing I didn't say that. Maybe you can show me where I did.

cowboys2233;4061883 said:
I don't necessarily disagree with you on this point at this time, but you can't really use that example to support your point.
I didn't bring that up as an example. Someone else did, I merely stated his performance in that game is not indicative of his ability to be an ILB in the base defense, as what he did well in that game (interceptions) is not necessarily what makes a good ILB in a 3-4.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
silver;4061591 said:
Arkin and Costa. Put away the anointing oil for those two already.

Arkin is a low round draft pick rookie and has only had a few days training camp and just finished some playing time in the first two preseason games and he is already a bust? He might not make it but what legitimate chance has he or any of the picks had that would lead anybody to make such hasty judgments about them?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I must concede, the arguments being made for Dez Bryant are compelling.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Some things were mentioned in Dez's defense

#1 He only played 14 games
#2 8.5 of those games were played with Kitna
#3 He missed much of training camp
#4 He played much of the year injured, in fact I believe he missed considerable time although he didn't outright miss full games, early on.
#5 When was the last time he played football before being drafted?

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
cowboys2233;4061632 said:
Far more than Scandrick and Bennett. In terms of hype, I'd go with Newman by a landslide. I remember thinking a couple of years ago, so many people were making so much of the fact that he hadn't given up any TD passes for so long and were actually putting him up there with the best corners in the league based on that. What a joke -- total blind luck that he didn't give up TDs, just random chance. But the odds have a way of evening out given enough time, don't they?

Dumb post.

SWG9

Reaction score
The conversation begins and ends with Mike Jenkins.

He was utterly terrible last year in all phases of the game. He couldn't cover anyone (statistically speaking, he was the worst starting CB in the NFL), he was an penalty machine, and his effort (once again) was lacking, to say the least.

So sum up, he doesn't try hard, he's doesn't care, and he's not very good.

In any other NFL city, he would either be benched or cut, but in Dallas, he's back as the starter with no real competition. It's mindboggling.

Say what you will about Newman, Spears, et al., but despite their flaws, they're professional football players that show up and do their jobs to the best of their ability. Mike Jenkins; not so much.

I really do not know what this guy has done to be given this long of a leash. Since I can already hear people typing "BUT TEH 2009 PRO BOWL!!!" as a response, I'll respecfully submit that players with more talent than Mike Jenkins have been cut or benched for a lot less.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Clove;4061727 said:
That's an interesting name, Bradie James. I'm trying to figure what he's done the last 3 years, I can't think of anything.

Well, Bradie is a talker. He can talk yer ear off. Talks about his playing, talks about the opponents, about how he is adjusting (never-ending thing). Yak-yak-yak. He is largely a Wade project. And maybe it is time for the Cowboys to get an NFL-caliber LB instead of this poser.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
demarcus-ware.jpg