Who are the most overrated players on this team?

TheRat

The Silly Willy
Reaction score
Clove;4061727 said:
That's an interesting name, Bradie James. I'm trying to figure what he's done the last 3 years, I can't think of anything.
led the team in tackles.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Fat Toad;4061752 said:
A rookie receiver plays 12 games and gets injured, while on pace for an OK-but-not-great year (748 yards), and yet somehow he's in the same category as Larry Fitzgerald.

Nonsense. Projecting out his rookie stats over a full 16 games..

60 receptions, 749 yards, 8 tds (not including punt returns).

Larry Fitzgerald's rookie stats...

58 receptions, 780 yards, 8 tds.

The reason people put him in the same category as Larry Fitzgerald is because he IS Larry Fitzgerald. With his 2 punt return tds, some could argue Dez actually had a better rookie season (or was on pace to). All this while playing with a backup QB half the time. Go ahead and find WRs that had a better rookie season than Dez. Randy Moss is one. Any others?

You don't put up these types of numbers as a rook WR without being great, you just don't.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Cowboystar17;4061597 said:
I hope this is a joke because if it's not I think we should ask the mods to ban you.

Well aren't you Mr. Overly-Sensitive pants! Sheesh.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
TheRat;4061756 said:
When did Lee become a DB?

You're putting the guy down because he intercepted Peyton Manning twice and returned one for a touchdown?

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
TheRat;4061756 said:
When did Lee become a DB?
Not sure what your point is. You asked when Lee did anything when the lights came on?

I responded the Indianapolis game. I guess getting 2 picks and returning one for a td is doing nothing in your mind.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've got two that will be extremely unpopular.

Miles Austin - I spent a couple of years trying to convince fans that the guy could play in this league. Now those same fans consider him on par with the Andre Johnsons and Larry Fitzgeralds of the league. He's good. He's got a great chemistry with the QB. But he's not an elite #1 WR. Dez Bryant can be that guy.

Doug Free - Quality player but I saw some people refer to him as a top LT in the league. I think that's a stretch.

I like both these guys and I'm glad their on my team but if you asked me who the two players our fans most overrate are, they would be my answer.

btcutter

Reaction score
Cowboystar17;4061693 said:
so you don't think if he had stayed healthy last year that a pro bowl could've been a possibility? The guy was playing lights out.Pretty much off of pure Athleticism alone.

it's possible but it didn't happen.

The expectation on this board of Dez is through the roof. that's why I think he's overhyped. I hope I am wrong.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
casmith07;4061660 said:
I hate that phrase.

I don't think anyone on this team is overrated. Our fans seem to hate everyone and want everyone cut except Tysson Poots.

If I took over I'd blow it all up and build around Poots and Ben Bloom.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
How are Jenkins and Newman overrated when they are bashed literally in EVERY single thread that they are mentioned?

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Muhast;4061830 said:
How are Jenkins and Newman overrated when they are bashed literally in EVERY single thread that they are mentioned?

Somone brought up a good point regarding his salary versus his actual effectiveness. That's a really good way to place some sort of standard measurement on this debate.

So yeah, based on his salary, T-New is the most overrated player on this team, IMO.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
cowboys2233;4061841 said:
Somone brought up a good point regarding his salary versus his actual effectiveness. That's a really good way to place some sort of standard measurement on this debate.

So yeah, based on his salary, T-New is the most overrated player on this team, IMO.

That is not what makes a player Overrated. This isn't about pay, this isn't about pay vs how you play. It's how you are rated as a player.

A player is overrated/underrated based on the perception of him as a player. Not by any other yardstick. If your saying he is the most overpaid player, fine. But Pay=perception aren't the same thing at all.

People let their bias show too easily. Even Newman haters surely can agree that he ISNT highly rated after last year. Pro-Newman fans will even tell you he wasn't good last year.

So how can he or Jenkins be overrated following a year where almost everybody is down on them? That makes no sense.

30yrheel

Reaction score
most people laugh when you talk about all the talented cowboys, especially when newman and jenkins made the pro bowl. all those pro-bowlers except ware and romo are over rated.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
30yrheel;4061854 said:
most people laugh when you talk about all the talented cowboys, especially when newman and jenkins made the pro bowl. all those pro-bowlers except ware and romo are over rated.

Witten is overrated?

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Muhast;4061852 said:
That is not what makes a player Overrated. This isn't about pay, this isn't about pay vs how you play. It's how you are rated as a player.

A player is overrated/underrated based on the perception of him as a player. Not by any other yardstick. If your saying he is the most overpaid player, fine. But Pay=perception aren't the same thing at all.

People let their bias show too easily. Even Newman haters surely can agree that he ISNT highly rated after last year. Pro-Newman fans will even tell you he wasn't good last year.

So how can he or Jenkins be overrated following a year where almost everybody is down on them? That makes no sense.

I think salary can be viewed as a quantifiable measurement of how a player is rated. Or at least, it's the best we've got. Because this thread has devolved from a debate about who is overrated into a debate about what the heck "rated" even means. Just trying to bring some order to this chaos. :laugh2:

And personally, I think that a lot of the pro-Newman folks believe he CAN return to his 2009 form. Not only am I highly doubtful of that, I'm not convinced he was even that good in 2009, he may have just been the beneficiary of circumstance.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;4061862 said:
Kitna and Holland

Yeah, Kitna was another name I considered. I don't think that feller has anywhere close to the season he had in him last year and I do think McGee is ready to take the reins as the second-stringer.

Let's pray we don't have to find out -- I can't deal with another Romo-less season. Losing your starting QB in this league sucks, to put it mildly.

Modus

Reaction score
cowboys2233;4061860 said:
I think salary can be viewed as a quantifiable measurement of how a player is rated. Or at least, it's the best we've got. Because this thread has devolved from a debate about who is overrated into a debate about what the heck "rated" even means. Just trying to bring some order to this chaos. :laugh2:

Ehh, that's not necessarily true either.

Assuming that Dez Bryant is better than Miles Austin, for example. Dez would be making more than Miles. Miles Austin is worthy for the $45 million he's slated to make over the life of his contract. That doesn't make him overrated compared to Dez. It speaks more to the talent level Dez has as a sophomore.

You can use the same argument for Chris Johnson against the Ronnie Brown's and the Stephen Jackson's at the position. Johnson is by far the superior talent but it doesn't mean that Jackson and Brown aren't worth their compensations.

Because at some point, they are/were worth the bottom line figure they signed to.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
cowboys2233;4061860 said:

And personally, I think that a lot of the pro-Newman folks believe he CAN return to his 2009 form. Not only am I highly doubtful of that, I'm not convinced he was even that good in 2009, he may have just been the beneficiary of circumstance.

Well I will say, threads like this show you how intelligent our fan base is at times. Some of the names you see in here:

Ware and Witten as being overrated are simply laughable.

I guess we all have different definitions as to what that word means.

To me, regardless of how much or how little you make, if your a top player at your position(Ware,Witten) you CANT be overrated. That is just my opinion. I base it on perception, are you perceived as one of the better players in the league? If so, are you a consensus top __ player? Does your play match that perception? That is how I personally gauge it. If you want to factor in other things, that is fine as well. But this proves why it's so hard to gauge how a player is actually rated if we can't even agree on HOW they are rated, and then we cant even figure our WHAT they are basing it off of for some of these folks lol.