Who are you guys hoping falls to us at #27?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;3249326 said:
Iupati, the guard from idaho would be nice, maybe trade down a few spots and pick up Fox, the Tackle from Miami. Corey Wooten, the DE from Northwestern would be a nice 2nd round pick, but with all the teams going 3-4, he won't be there.

Fox is very much like Free, who we already have. If we go tackle, I would prefer them bigger who could play inside if needed. Wooton would not have a place here unless we are more down on Butler and Brandon Williams than what has been indicated. I believe we would be okay leaving additional situational pass rushers for later on unless the value is just too great.

Woods

Reaction score
I'd hope for M Iupati, G, from Idaho.

I think there is a chance he actually could slip to us as well.

I think he could play OG or RT for us, so he offers some versatility.

And from Day 1, I think Iupati could compete for the Guard spot vs. Kosier.

Woods

Reaction score
Alexander;3249328 said:
Both of these are good looking players. I have read some things with Spikes that might mean he could tumble into the second round or even later. Inside linebackers do slip sometimes. There are some that carry first round reputations and slide deeper into the draft. A good example of this was Pual Poslusny. Bradie James was considered a second round type and slipped, so was Dat Nguyen. Ali Highsmith fell completely out of the draft. Paul Poslusny of the Bills was a similar case. He could also be like Brandon Siler who had a big reputation but ended up not carrying a high choice tag.

Cody would be one of the few NTs in this draft I would even consider moving Ratliff for. Regardless, he would be a fine backup and give us the option.

I want OL more obviously. I have my eye on Mike Iapati, who could be this year's version of Unger.

Out of curiousity, what have you read about Spikes that makes you uncertain? Injury issues?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Dooms, same coaches and system. So frankly I would be very wary. Just like all those Florida QBs some years ago that came from the same system and had gaudy college stats and totally failed in the pros.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One kid that is getting some attention at the senior bowl is UMass OT Vladimir Ducasse 6-5, 330

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd;3249344 said:
Dooms, same coaches and system. So frankly I would be very wary. Just like all those Florida QBs some years ago that came from the same system and had gaudy college stats and totally failed in the pros.

I agree about QB playing in certain systems but Iowa runs a pretty stright forward offense and this kid is good and is a 1st rd prospect. Could he bomb? of course and the same could be said about any other prospect. I don't avoid players outside of QB's based on the school they went to. USC has produced some great Olineman and as we saw with Rogers not all of them pan out but I would not avoid drafting a top lineman because he went to USC

Alexander

Reaction score
Woods;3249339 said:
Out of curiousity, what have you read about Spikes that makes you uncertain? Injury issues?
Not really. Kiper and others have speculated he could slip to the fourth round area if he does not run well. Some are concerned he would have the lateral speed and explosiveness to be a true impact MLB.

I do not see it but that's what they say. I do agree he could be a product of a talented overall defense at Florida though.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Not saying avoid him. But I am a fan of the Hawkeyes and frankly this year he underperformed for a lot of the season.

Alexander

Reaction score
burmafrd;3249344 said:
Iowa linemen carry inflated grades to the NFL because they are basically a "factory" that has a tradition of being a well-run program for decades, and it has continued since Ferentz has been there and that's his area.

Gallery was a OT bust but has turned into a fine guard. Eric Steinbach has had a nice career. Mike Goff and Russ Verba were solid. But I see what you are saying that each year they get drafted but few turn out to be very good. Marshall Yanda is a good young G for the Ravens but you have others like Seth Olsen, Mike Elgin, Pete McMahon, Ben Sobieski and Ben Nelson in recent years that have not panned out.

I do think Bulaga carries an inflated reputation, but he's good enough to be a player. He did an excellent job in their bowl game against Derrick Morgan.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Not sure Gallery is a fine guard- I think the jury is still out on that. Iowa has done a good job on the interior positions- not many tackles have been worth anything.

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3249359 said:
I agree about QB playing in certain systems but Iowa runs a pretty stright forward offense and this kid is good and is a 1st rd prospect. Could he bomb? of course and the same could be said about any other prospect. I don't avoid players outside of QB's based on the school they went to. USC has produced some great Olineman and as we saw with Rogers not all of them pan out but I would not avoid drafting a top lineman because he went to USC
You also have to avoid the opposite, where it is used as a plus as well. There are "system" linemen. Take Nebraska of the 1980s. They were all steroid monsters and few had the great success in the NFL. USC is a factory, but they will produce busts too. Being well-coached and pro-ready is a plus, but you have to get to know the player.

Rogers busted because he was a poof who would not pay the price. We should have known about his toughness but probably gave him the benefit of the doubt since he came from such an established system.

Alexander

Reaction score
burmafrd;3249376 said:
Not sure Gallery is a fine guard- I think the jury is still out on that. Iowa has done a good job on the interior positions- not many tackles have been worth anything.
He's going to end up better at guard than anywhere else. The Raiders missed him when he was injured. I think he's a solid starter. He's no Tony Mandarich.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Actually Mandarich if I recall correctly played decently for several years at guard- pretty sure anyway.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander;3249378 said:
You also have to avoid the opposite, where it is used as a plus as well. There are "system" linemen. Take Nebraska of the 1980s. They were all steroid monsters and few had the great success in the NFL. USC is a factory, but they will produce busts too. Being well-coached and pro-ready is a plus, but you have to get to know the player.

Rogers busted because he was a poof who would not pay the price. We should have known about his toughness but probably gave him the benefit of the doubt since he came from such an established system.

I agree. The focus should be on the player and his skill sets than the school he attended. I would never draft a kid or not draft him based on the school. Only exception is QB where the system they run can have more to do with the success of that QB than raw skills alone

Alexander

Reaction score
burmafrd;3249385 said:
Actually Mandarich if I recall correctly played decently for several years at guard- pretty sure anyway.
He did okay with the Colts. In other words, he did not embarass himself any further. Gallery is much better now than Mandarich ever was. He even has deserves future Pro Bowl consideration from what I have read from Raiders followers.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Right now given the two positions I want most (Tackle and playmaking safety) I'd say I'd be pretty darn thrilled if Earl Thomas fell to us. That would make me very happy.

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3249414 said:
Right now given the two positions I want most (Tackle and playmaking safety) I'd say I'd be pretty darn thrilled if Earl Thomas fell to us. That would make me very happy.

+1:D

Earl Thomas would be a nice draft pick.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
ctrous25;3249162 said:
Im kinda torn I know we need OL help badly but if say Brandon Spikes fell too us at #27 I would love for us to get him, and dont get me wrong I love Brooking but hes gonna be 35 and Spikes is a guy who can make a difference asap here!!

I don't watch much college football these days (my Saturdays are completely taken up) so I don't know individual players but I would like to see a solid OL fall to us. A WR would be my next choice. Taking yet another LB in round-1 would really piss me off!

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3249183 said:
Why? Ratliff is just fine where he's at. That position is a few notches below the most important need.
Well maybe I should have clarified why I put this down. Spears is a FA and I do not believe imo that JJ resigns him. With that I agree with all your points about RAT. I just think if he is there he is worth the look esp with everyone else being locked up on the line.