Twitter: Who Cowboys are targeting at 10 per Tony Pauline

Sydla

Reaction score
Lol I like both Turner and Williams. But yeah, it's totally gonna be a 'lets get the guy we want at 75 a whole round earlier because we don't want to lose them, even though there are better players available at 44' type pick

Bingo.

And the 2nd round curse will continue.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I like the Sewell pick but in any scenario I’m
Not moving up. In fact I’m hearing Pitts at 4 for Atl or Miami trade up. Let it be. Sit and let it play out and if you get a good offer to move down, do it. I’m usually wanting to take a BPA but there is so much value lower I’d be willing to go there and still get a CB/LB/Olineman etc. I like Surtain too but, again, I see the top 10 being a little chaotic. This is a draft where you take all your time on the clock and see how it flows.

i am in the same boat,there are a lot of players i like who are pegged as 2nd RD talents,i wouldnt mind a trade down at all.

morasp

Reaction score
There will be plenty of value picks to choose from at 44 as long as they follow last years formula we will be fine. The one thing that does concern me is that Quinn will have a Rod Marinelli say in who we pick and we end up with another Taco or Hill pick.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Pauline was also the one who tied Lve to the Cowboys in rd 1, before any insider for several weeks. He has legitimate sources in the NFL circles.
I got to give Broaddus the credit for LVE. He said that he came in for an individual workout and the coaches/scouts were drooling over him. He said this in March of that draft. Pauline knows are scouts but the reality the Joneses/MClay/coaches will ultimately make the decision and nobody really knows who they will take.

JBS

Reaction score
There will be plenty of value picks to choose from at 44 as long as they follow last years formula we will be fine. The one thing that does concern me is that Quinn will have a Rod Marinelli say in who we pick and we end up with another Taco or Hill pick.

Why do you just assume that Quinn is worse than the other guys in the building? It's not like the other guys are great. They picked a bunch of bums over the years too

morasp

Reaction score
Why do you just assume that Quinn is worse than the other guys in the building? It's not like the other guys are great. They picked a bunch of bums over the years too
Falcons defense, I'm assuming he had a pretty big say in picking those guys for his system. They weren't exactly the LOB II.

JBS

Reaction score
There is more in this podcast (Cowboys related) than these two tweets..

1) the Cowboys are open to trading down from 10. He said keep an eye on the bears as a team that is looking to move up to 10..obviously for a qb..Dallas isn't shopping the pick, but they are open to moving out

2) on that note - names to keep an eye on if they do move down are C. Darrisaw and Z. Collins. He said very clearly, the Jones family LOVES Z. Collins..not the scouts..the Jones family

3) Pauline didn't even know the Cowboys had a 2nd round pick..he didn't really think Dallas would take M. Williams at 44 until he realized they had a second rounder and probably thought the only way they could get him was to spend that pick on him...so it's not EXACTLY how the tweet is written

JBS

Reaction score
Falcons defense, I'm assuming he had a pretty big say in picking those guys for his system. They weren't exactly the LOB II.

Right and our defense sucks too..so they all suck at picking defense lol..just have to hope we get lucky I guess

morasp

Reaction score
Right and our defense sucks too..so they all suck at picking defense lol..just have to hope we get lucky I guess
Like I said originally, that guy is with the Raiders now so I hope we didn't jus hire another one. You can't get better by blowing your first and second round picks. Case in point I thought they hit a home run with Diggs last year without him in the draft room and I think they could do it again this year. In addition, TJ Watt would be a Cowboy and we wouldn't still be chasing our tails on that position as much either.

Last edited:

JBS

Reaction score
Like I said originally, that guy is with the Raiders now so I hope we didn't jus hire another one. You can't get better by blowing your first and second round picks. Case in point I thought they hit a home run with Diggs last year without him in the draft room and I think they could do it again this year. In addition, TJ Watt would be a Cowboy and we wouldn't still be chasing our tails on that position as much either.

That's a cop out, sir. You can't blame all of the bad draft picks on Rod. That's foolish

Carson

Reaction score
Lol I like both Turner and Williams. But yeah, it's totally gonna be a 'lets get the guy we want at 75 a whole round earlier because we don't want to lose them, even though there are better players available at 44' type pick
We all know how it’s going to go. We get to pick, guys like Grant, Washington will all be there. Only to draft Williams lol

Majic

Reaction score

Z. Collins. He said very clearly, the Jones family LOVES Z. Collins..not the scouts..the Jones family

LOL

Gaede

Reaction score

1) the Cowboys are open to trading down from 10. He said keep an eye on the bears as a team that is looking to move up to 10..obviously for a qb..Dallas isn't shopping the pick, but they are open to moving out

2) on that note - names to keep an eye on if they do move down are C. Darrisaw and Z. Collins. He said very clearly, the Jones family LOVES Z. Collins..not the scouts..the Jones family

3) Pauline didn't even know the Cowboys had a 2nd round pick..he didn't really think Dallas would take M. Williams at 44 until he realized they had a second rounder and probably thought the only way they could get him was to spend that pick on him...so it's not EXACTLY how the tweet is written

I'm cool with trading to 20, but we better get a big return. Collins is in a whole different tier than the guys available at 10. Same as Darrisaw.

morasp

Reaction score
We all know how it’s going to go. We get to pick, guys like Grant, Washington will all be there. Only to draft Williams lol
Here is my hope, one of the following is there at 44 and they take whoever is the highest on the board. Barmore, Moehrig, Onwuzurike, Davis, Phillips.

morasp

Reaction score
That's a cop out, sir. You can't blame all of the bad draft picks on Rod. That's foolish
Not blaming him seems foolish to me. I don't know if Jerry has said it publicly but it's pretty widely accepted tht Rod could override the scouts in the war room. You can add LVE to that list too he thought he was the next Brian Urlacher. You have to get starters in your first two rounds and we've failed. Last year isn't a trend by any means but it does give me hope for this years draft. The other part of it is Garrett usually had them going offense first so we had to hit on day two.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score

Good stuff.

#2 is interesting. Do the scouts not love Collins? Crazy idea here but maybe the Jones should listen to their scouts and not the whispers in their head.

Sydla

Reaction score

For the record, I am not giddy at the Quinn hiring either. But I am hesitant to use what he did in Atlanta as the only evidence about whether he will succeed or not. Sometimes guys just have a ceiling and for Quinn, it may be his ceiling was as DC. As a HC he was pulled in different directions, had to worry about the offense, scouting for the offense as well as defense, etc. We've seen it before with some guys that are just better assistants than head guys.

Will that happen here? I have no idea. I hope it does.

Sydla

Reaction score

I think we can blame a decent number of defensive draft failures on him.

morasp

Reaction score
For the record, I am not giddy at the Quinn hiring either. But I am hesitant to use what he did in Atlanta as the only evidence about whether he will succeed or not. Sometimes guys just have a ceiling and for Quinn, it may be his ceiling was as DC. As a HC he was pulled in different directions, had to worry about the offense, scouting for the offense as well as defense, etc. We've seen it before with some guys that are just better assistants than head guys.

Will that happen here? I have no idea. I hope it does.
I've heard a lot of theories, one was Seattle caught the league off guard with a new style of defense and they've since adjusted to it. Or they had an extremely talented roster. It's probably a little of both. I do think Quinn should have a say in the type of player he needs for his defense but on draft day I still worry that he might pick a Taco over Watt or Hill over other better players.