Twitter: Who Cowboys are targeting at 10 per Tony Pauline

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Not blaming him seems foolish to me. I don't know if Jerry has said it publicly but it's pretty widely accepted tht Rod could override the scouts in the war room. You can add LVE to that list too he thought he was the next Brian Urlacher. You have to get starters in your first two rounds and we've failed. Last year isn't a trend by any means but it does give me hope for this years draft. The other part of it is Garrett usually had them going offense first so we had to hit on day two.
Thats not exactly true on Garrett. As HC his first picks were:
2011 - Tyron
2012- Claiborne
2013 - Fred
2014 - Martin
2015 - Byron Jones
2016 - Zeke
2017 - Taco
2018 - LVE
2019 - no first R d - first pick in draft was trysten hill

so offense was 4 picks, defense was 5 picks while he was HC with there first pick in the draft

Sydla

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of theories, one was Seattle caught the league off guard with a new style of defense and they've since adjusted to it. Or they had an extremely talented roster. It's probably a little of both. I do think Quinn should have a say in the type of player he needs for his defense but on draft day I still worry that he might pick a Taco over Watt or Hill over other better players.

Why though? What in his background makes you think he'd take a Taco over a Watt? Frankly, he seems to be the type that's take the Watt and figure out what to do with him if he thought he was the better player. We took Taco because Marinelli was pigheaded about what type he needed at DE.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Pauline's comment is a bit Captain Obvious. And this point, the Cowboys could trade up, trade down or stay put. They could draft a CB, OL, TE or something else in the first round. And, there is a call for "Trader Jerry" to return.

Glad we cleared that up

:muttley:

Sydla

Reaction score
2011 - Tyron
2012- Claiborne
2013 - Fred
2014 - Martin
2015 - Byron Jones
2016 - Zeke
2017 - Taco
2018 - LVE

so offense was 4 picks, defense was 5 picks while he was HC with there first pick in the draft

In fairness, for all intents and purposes, that first pick in 2019 was on offense as we traded it for Cooper.

morasp

Reaction score
2011 - Tyron
2012- Claiborne
2013 - Fred
2014 - Martin
2015 - Byron Jones
2016 - Zeke
2017 - Taco
2018 - LVE

You can make Cooper the first in 2019

morasp

Reaction score
Why though? What in his background makes you think he'd take a Taco over a Watt? Frankly, he seems to be the type that's take the Watt and figure out what to do with him if he thought he was the better player. We took Taco because Marinelli was pigheaded about what type he needed at DE.
If you're right and we can't blame him for the Falcons defensive talent than I have no argument and concede but to me that's a bit of a stretch like saying that Garrett wasn't heavily involved in the offensive players we've taken. Until proven wrong it still concerns me. It's the season of hope and newer is better so I hope we draft some players that can be quality starters and difference makers on defense.

Last edited:

mardwin

Reaction score
I take Sewell/chase/pitts/waddle all before either those cb. Might even take Slater ahead them too. If pitts gets to 7/8 I’m trading up get him.

I think they'll go Slater if Sewell doesn't make it to #10. But drafting a corner top 10 with super bowl aspirations, I'm not sure how that's going to help them. Remember that Dallas D was actually decent against the pass but couldn't stop anyone's running game.

Gaede

Reaction score
Good stuff.

#2 is interesting. Do the scouts not love Collins? Crazy idea here but maybe the Jones should listen to their scouts and not the whispers in their head.

I read that comment as, Pauline wanted to emphasize that's its more than just scouts who like Collins, and the Joneses are personally enamored as well, not in spite of what scouts are saying but because of it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I got to give Broaddus the credit for LVE. He said that he came in for an individual workout and the coaches/scouts were drooling over him. He said this in March of that draft. Pauline knows are scouts but the reality the Joneses/MClay/coaches will ultimately make the decision and nobody really knows who they will take.
His past history suggests he has legitimate sources. Has he been off, but been right most of the time.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Williams seems to be a riser with a few teams. Still, I get nervous when the Cowboys fall in love with these "traits" guys. Hill was a traits guy. We've been linked to Wilson in this draft, another traits guy. How about just pick a guy who has traits but also actually performed in college at DT? I know, that sounds crazy.
Wilson isn't a traits prospect, he just had a terrible season, where he was good prior to that. Milton in my opinion, it's all about upside based on his athletic testing. If he didn't dominate lower level competition, there is no way he does on the NFL level.

Creeper

Reaction score
I love the idea of taking Sewell at #10. The Cowboys may not get a shot at a LT prospect like him for another 10 years. But he is not dropping to 10 unless someone starts a rumor about him.

Otherwise taking one of the 2 CBs is probably the safe play. I think trading down is a better more, if they can pick up another 2nd round pick, but that depends on the trading partner.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I fine with that It's about where NFL had him last week. If the Cowboys picked him at 44 I would be fine with that too if he's still there, Edge guys usually get drafted high. Based on his mock draft Dane has some pretty big differences with the NFL.com rankings this year. Some other big moves were Molden to 65, Rousseau to 49, and Bobby Brown to 84. The rankings are probably a little more difficult this year due to circumstances.
I agree, pass rushers usually get overdrafted. However, the class isn't deep at the top, but there are several top 75 prospects at the position. It's kind of like the corner position, it may come down to which edge player fits a particular team the best. Think the position will stretch this yr, where he should even see some prospects in rd 3. Ossail, Turner, Williams are three they have been linked, it's very possible they take one at 44

Cowboyny

Reaction score
What is their infatuation with Milton Williams? His pro day? Is he really that coveted by the rest of the league that they think he will not be there at #44?
He will be there at 44, but some speculate, won't be there at 75.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you're right and we can't blame him for the Falcons defensive talent than I have no argument and concede but to me that's a bit of a stretch like saying that Garrett wasn't heavily involved in the offensive players we've taken. Until proven wrong it still concerns me. It's the season of hope and newer is better so I hope we draft some players that can be quality starters and difference makers on defense.

I am sure you can blame him some for the defensive talent in Atlanta. There were some misses for sure. But they did land some good players. He was there when they drafted Grady Jarrett, for example. Deion Jones was a nice LB. Keanu Neal was a good player for a bit (granted he never really lived up to the first round hype). Kazee had been a really good player for them considering he was a 5th round pick.

There were some misses as well, like Jalen Collins at CB. McKinley was a first round pick and been OK, not great.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I am sure you can blame him some for the defensive talent in Atlanta. There were some misses for sure. But they did land some good players. He was there when they drafted Grady Jarrett, for example. Deion Jones was a nice LB. Keanu Neal was a good player for a bit (granted he never really lived up to the first round hype). Kazee had been a really good player for them considering he was a 5th round pick.

There were some misses as well, like Jalen Collins at CB. McKinley was a first round pick and been OK, not great.
I dont even think Quinn had much to do with that. Wasnt the GM fired because of his inability to draft?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In Atlanta, he seemed really big on trying to make pass rushing LB into DE's

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Pauline was also the one who tied Lve to the Cowboys in rd 1, before any insider for several weeks. He has legitimate sources in the NFL circles.
Interesting that the Cowboys like the Virginia Tech tackle as well. It looks like if one of the quarterbacks is there at 10 the Cowboys will consider a trade down. I believe Pauline’s intel. It seems like they don’t like Slater or Vera-Tucker. I wonder why?

Gaede

Reaction score
What is their infatuation with Milton Williams? His pro day? Is he really that coveted by the rest of the league that they think he will not be there at #44?
My guess? Jerry's infatuated with the idea of Aaron Donald. And since we can't get the real thing, they're swinging wildly to find someone similar