Who do the Cowboys like thread...

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Q&A: Dan Skuta, LB, Grand Valley State
Written by Josh Buchanan
Thursday, 12 March 2009 11:12
NFL Draft Bible Q&A with NFL Draft Prospect linebacker Dan Skuta of Grand Valley State.

What are your current height, weight and workout numbers?

Skuta: Not sure about all of the numbers but I was 6’2 1/2, 249 pounds, which I think is off because I was 256 the day before. My vertical is 35 inches, broad jump is 9’9, and I did 20 reps on the bench. I think they had me down for a 4.64 in the 40 or somewhere around there. I am not sure on the short shuttle but the 3-cone was like a 7.03.

Talk about your pro day and team interest you received.

Skuta: It was exciting. I trained for seven or eight weeks for that one day. It was exciting to show what I got. It was nice to pull through with the numbers that I thought I would have. I think I had the longest day out of anybody because I had the normal workout stuff and an extended linebacker workout with the linebacker coach for Cincinnati. I long snapped for a while, which a lot of teams didn’t know I can do. They were impressed with that. I did some fullback drills by catching passes and running routes. One team has told me a few times that they were interested in seeing me at fullback and that is Green Bay.

Are you going to work out at any other pro days?

Skuta: I plan to go to Michigan State. I am not sure if I am in yet but I am working on that right now.

Where have you been training for your pro days?

Skuta: I stayed with my parents in Flint and this guy who played with the Bills and Patriots worked out with me in Saginaw on my strength training. He played linebacker so we did a lot of those drills. I was with a guy from Toledo who is a track guy who taught me how to run and worked on my quickness.

Did you feel snubbed by not having a combine invite?

Skuta: I felt I should have been in it for sure. A lot of scouts at the Cactus Bowl said I should be there but I couldn’t do anything about that. Everyone seems to think I should have been there and I agree, but that is how it goes sometimes coming from a small school so that is alright.

What is the highlight of your career?

Skuta: I can’t go without saying those two national championships. The sack when I passed Michael McFadden for our all-time sack total was special to me because I was passing the guy who taught me a lot about playing defensive line.

Who is the best player you have faced in your career?

Skuta: Xavier Omon ripped through us a couple times. I think Jake Visser was pretty good but I think Omon was the best I have seen.

Who is returning on your team that you think has NFL potential?

Skuta: Our quarterback has pinpoint accuracy but he is not a real big guy. He needs to get bigger but he has the accuracy. We got Blake Smolen who is a receiver and is quick. He runs well and catches well. He would be somebody that would get a look. I would maybe say Jake McGuckin on defense because of his nose for the ball. Nick McDonald has always been solid and NFL coaches are looking for someone who has a nasty streak and I think he has the attitude to play.

Who is the best player on your team?

Skuta: Probably Danny Richard.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Skuta: I am an outdoors man. We've got a cabin at the lake so my dad and I go fishing and all of that other stuff.

What is your favorite video game?

Skuta: I played a lot of Halo for a while and Call of Duty.

What is your favorite movie?

Skuta: Transformers or Gladiator.

What music is in your iPod right now?

Skuta: Probably Jamie Foxx, that new song Blame It.

What positions do teams want you to play?

Skuta: Defensive end, defensive tackle, linebacker, and fullback. Mostly that Sam Linebacker spot is what teams are looking at me for. I haven’t really been told defensive end much. I think it is more linebacker right now for me.

Which teams have shown the most interest?

Skuta: The Cincinnati Bengals and Dallas Cowboys like me. At the Cactus Bowl it seemed like Miami and Baltimore liked me a bit.

What are your future goals?

Skuta: Hopefully I have a long career in the NFL and do good things with my money. I want to maybe open a business and I want to coach football as soon as I can when I am done playing.

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Small-School-Spotlight/qa_dan_skuta_lb_grand_valley_state_31209.html

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Marcus Freeman's draft stock going up
How high in the draft do you think Marcus Freeman will go?
By Carlos "Big C" Holmes

Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ohio State outside linebacker and Wayne graduate Marcus Freeman has performed as of late as if he is trying to persuade the Detroit Lions to select him with the first overall pick in April's draft.

Although being selected with the No. 1 pick seems highly unlikely for the former Buckeye, Freeman is proving that he belongs among the elite linebackers entering the draft. He has performed brilliantly in each of his last three showings, starting with the Senior Bowl, NFL draft combine and Pro Day.

Friday March 13, was no bad omen for Freeman as he blew NFL teams away with his performance at the school's pro day. He ran a 4.5-second 40-yard dash; posted a 4.06 short-shuttle and ran a 6.60 in the 3-cone drill. Freeman had the fastest time among linebackers at the combine in the short-shuttle with a 4.12 and beat that time at the school workout. If that wasn't enough, his performance during position drills was near-perfect.

"People talked about how well I did at the combine, but for me I knew those weren't my best times," Freeman said Sunday. "I wanted to go into the pro day and make sure that I did my best. I was very pleased with my performance after the workout was over."

The linebacker left a lasting impression on the coaches in attendance, improving on all his numbers from the combine.

Freeman said the combine can be a bit overwhelming; he was more relaxed going through the drills at Ohio State and it showed.

How does he stack up?

"In my heart I feel that I can compete with anyone," Freeman said. "After April 26, it doesn't matter where you are drafted. Everybody makes this big hoorah about where you're going to go in the draft, but after April 26 you're all in the NFL. It's about what you do after that. And for me, I think I can play with the best of them. I think you have to have that mindset."

Freeman said he respects the game of the linebackers projected ahead of him, but is confident that he can play at their level.

Freeman appears to be stacking up quite well with the pool of talent. A number of teams have expressed interest. The St. Louis Rams worked him out last Monday and he will have a private workout with the Miami Dolphins next week. Freeman is also scheduled to travel to Dallas to meet with the Cowboys early next month.
I believe teammate James Laurinaitis summed it up best in terms of Freeman's ability when he said "Marcus is athletically gifted and is the total package."

According to one NFL scout, Freeman has solidified himself as one of the premier outside 'backers in this draft and a Day 1 prospect.

Jungle Love

"Being from Huber Heights, the Bengals are the team I rooted for as a kid," Freeman said. "I think we all say to play in the NFL is a blessing, but to play for the Bengals and be close to home would be an exciting experience.

"Even being coached by the team at the Senior Bowl was eye-opening. To have Marvin Lewis as your head coach and having him give you your gear was truly an experience. Things are starting to come full circle. That dream you had as a kid is almost a reality. I would love to play in Cincinnati and I have one out of 32 chances to do that. If it happens, it happens. If not, then I look forward to the game where I can come to Cincinnati and play."

That could be twice a season. Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, who was at Ohio State's pro day, was impressed with Freeman as was Jacksonville Jaguars defensive coordinator Mel Tucker.

Carlos "Big C" Holmes covers the NFL for Dayton Daily News.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/s.../college/osu/2009/03/17/ddn031709bigcweb.html

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Arch Stanton;2701312 said:
Marcus Freeman's draft stock going up
How high in the draft do you think Marcus Freeman will go?
By Carlos "Big C" Holmes

Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ohio State outside linebacker and Wayne graduate Marcus Freeman has performed as of late as if he is trying to persuade the Detroit Lions to select him with the first overall pick in April's draft.

Although being selected with the No. 1 pick seems highly unlikely for the former Buckeye, Freeman is proving that he belongs among the elite linebackers entering the draft. He has performed brilliantly in each of his last three showings, starting with the Senior Bowl, NFL draft combine and Pro Day.

Friday March 13, was no bad omen for Freeman as he blew NFL teams away with his performance at the school's pro day. He ran a 4.5-second 40-yard dash; posted a 4.06 short-shuttle and ran a 6.60 in the 3-cone drill. Freeman had the fastest time among linebackers at the combine in the short-shuttle with a 4.12 and beat that time at the school workout. If that wasn't enough, his performance during position drills was near-perfect.

"People talked about how well I did at the combine, but for me I knew those weren't my best times," Freeman said Sunday. "I wanted to go into the pro day and make sure that I did my best. I was very pleased with my performance after the workout was over."

The linebacker left a lasting impression on the coaches in attendance, improving on all his numbers from the combine.

Freeman said the combine can be a bit overwhelming; he was more relaxed going through the drills at Ohio State and it showed.

How does he stack up?

"In my heart I feel that I can compete with anyone," Freeman said. "After April 26, it doesn't matter where you are drafted. Everybody makes this big hoorah about where you're going to go in the draft, but after April 26 you're all in the NFL. It's about what you do after that. And for me, I think I can play with the best of them. I think you have to have that mindset."

Freeman said he respects the game of the linebackers projected ahead of him, but is confident that he can play at their level.

Freeman appears to be stacking up quite well with the pool of talent. A number of teams have expressed interest. The St. Louis Rams worked him out last Monday and he will have a private workout with the Miami Dolphins next week. Freeman is also scheduled to travel to Dallas to meet with the Cowboys early next month.
I believe teammate James Laurinaitis summed it up best in terms of Freeman's ability when he said "Marcus is athletically gifted and is the total package."

According to one NFL scout, Freeman has solidified himself as one of the premier outside 'backers in this draft and a Day 1 prospect.

Jungle Love

"Being from Huber Heights, the Bengals are the team I rooted for as a kid," Freeman said. "I think we all say to play in the NFL is a blessing, but to play for the Bengals and be close to home would be an exciting experience.

"Even being coached by the team at the Senior Bowl was eye-opening. To have Marvin Lewis as your head coach and having him give you your gear was truly an experience. Things are starting to come full circle. That dream you had as a kid is almost a reality. I would love to play in Cincinnati and I have one out of 32 chances to do that. If it happens, it happens. If not, then I look forward to the game where I can come to Cincinnati and play."

That could be twice a season. Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, who was at Ohio State's pro day, was impressed with Freeman as was Jacksonville Jaguars defensive coordinator Mel Tucker.

Carlos "Big C" Holmes covers the NFL for Dayton Daily News.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/s.../college/osu/2009/03/17/ddn031709bigcweb.html

Great post.

I think Marcus Freeman at 51 is a very real possibility, very real. He's healthy now and rising fast. His short shuttle was 4.06, I think. He ran a 4.51.

I'm glad Dallas is going to have him in. I think he's number 1 on the board at that ILB position. He played OLB at Ohio State, so he can run.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
41gy#;2701396 said:
Great post.

I think Marcus Freeman at 51 is a very real possibility, very real. He's healthy now and rising fast. His short shuttle was 4.06, I think. He ran a 4.51.

I'm glad Dallas is going to have him in. I think he's number 1 on the board at that ILB position. He played OLB at Ohio State, so he can run.

Ohhh you think Marcus Freeman would play ILB? That's interesting..can he play that position? He was more of a OLB in college.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2701491 said:
Ohhh you think Marcus Freeman would play ILB? That's interesting..can he play that position? He was more of a OLB in college.

most 4-3 OLBs in college, unless they are great pass-rushers, move inside to ILB in a 3-4

esp. guys who run around blocks and are better sideline-to-sideline, you don't want a guy like Freeman having to battle in the trash, you want him running around making plays against the run and in coverage

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2701491 said:

You've repeated this a couple times, you are just fooling around right? You know that 4-3 OLBs and 3-4 OLBs involve very different skill sets. 4-3 OLBs (especially the WILL) are better suited to play WILB in a 3-4. I know you know that.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
BAT;2701670 said:
You've repeated this a couple times, you are just fooling around right? You know that 4-3 OLBs and 3-4 OLBs involve very different skill sets. 4-3 OLBs (especially the WILL) are better suited to play WILB in a 3-4. I know you know that.

I know..poor attempt at sarcasm..my bad.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2701696 said:
Clemson DT Dorrell Scott said today that he has a visit set-up with Dallas

Yeah, I saw an article where he said that he has already worked out for or is gong to work out for the Cowboys, Dolphins, Giants, and Steelers.

Plus, it said that he was in the 2nd-3rd round range. Bunting was right about Scott. He's a # 51 target, imo. He may be gone by # 69. The Big Tuna is picking right behind Dallas in round 2.

I think it is interesting that the Dolphins like Marcus Freeman, too. It isn't a surprise, though.

You know the Big Tuna would take Scott over Freeman.

If you wanted to let one drop and take a chance at getting him at 69, you would take Scott and hope Freeman falls, imo. However, Freeman is exactly what Dallas needs at ILB. I bet he's at the top of the list. Plus, he would be picked to be the future starter. You never know, you might need him this year.

Also, can you pick a "backup" NT in round 2 if you have no plans to move Jay Ratliff? I have read where Scott could play DE in a 34, too. If that is the case, his value goes up for the Cowboys.

This could be very interesting. I think Dorell Scott is probably at the top of the NT list.

You could have a Scott vs Freeman pick at number 51.

Edit:

Dorell Scott says that 3-4 teams are looking at him exclusively for NT. He has already worked out for the Eagles and Patriots. He has visits planned for the Cowboys, Jets, Steelers, and Dolphins. The other report included the Giants.

Scott says that he expects to be drafted in about the 3rd round.

The Eagles are always sticking their nose into our business, imo.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2701696 said:
Clemson DT Dorrell Scott said today that he has a visit set-up with Dallas

Well, all right... where did you hear about that, pal??

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
the Cowboys scouts were on hand to watch Okie State CB Jacob Lacey work out

interesting guy: 5'10" 177
4.45 40
1.49 10-yard
2.58 20-yard
41" vert
9'11" broad jump
4.25 short-shuttle
7.51 3-cone
11 reps

last 2 years has had 7 INTs and 23 pass-breakups

124 tackles

Bigtommyb

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2647838 said:
For the heck of it, going off the list and the average projected round by several websites I'll list the players in this thread and what rounds they may be targeted in.

Again, these projected rounds are the average projections and value boards of several draft web sites. not mine, so don't shoot the messenger.:eek::

Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU (Late Rd 1 to Mid Rd 2)
Jarron Gilbert, DE/DT, San Jose St (Rd 3)

Ron Brace, NT, Boston College (Late Rd 2 to Mid Rd 3)

Darry Beckwith, ILB, LSU (Rd 3)

Cody Brown, OLB/DE, Connecticut (Rd 3)
Zack Follett, OLB, California (Mid Rd 4 to Early Rd 5)

Cornelius Lewis, OT/OG, Tennessee St (Mid Rd 6 to UDFA)
Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma (Rd 2)
Jaimie Thomas, OG, Maryland (Late Rd 6 to UDFA)

John Phillips, TE, Virginia (Mid Rd 5 to Mid Rd 6)

Demetrius Byrd, WR, LSU (Rd 3)
Juaquin Iglesia, WR, Oklahoma (Late Rd 1 to Early Rd 2)
Derrick Williams, WR, PSU (Rd 2)
Jarett Dillard, WR, Rice (Late Rd 3 to Early Rd 4)

Rudy Carpenter, QB, Arizona St (Rd 5)
Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston St (Rd 2)
Graham Harrell, QB, Texas Tech (Rd 3)
Chase Holbrook, QB, New Mexico St (Rd 7 to UDFA)
Nate Davis, QB, Ball State (Rd 2)

This is mock draft 3.0 addition
2 - Ron Brace - BC/NT - 6'3 333lbs. If he is gone - Patrick Chung -ORE/S - 5 11 3/4 210.
3 - Tyrone Mckenzie - S.FL/OLB - 6'1 243lbs - Put him on the inside and he has good cover skills,ie, poss 3rd down option.
3 - I would acquire this pick by trading a 4th and 5th rounder to get another late in the third. With this pick i pick Kevin Ellison - USC/S - 6'2 225 lbs.
4 - Zach Follett -CAL/OLB - 6'2 240lbs, Put him on inside also, manly because he is better in a box then in space, also ST.
5 - Demetrius Byrd - LSU/WR - 6'0 200lbs 4.4 speed
5 - Ray Feing - BYU/OG - 6'4 330.
6 - Khalif Mitchell - E.CAR/DT,DE - 6'5 317 LBS ,He is a project possibly catch lightning in a botle?
6 - Chris Pressley -WIS/FB - 6'1 259lbs. He is a punishing blocker, but not a great pass catcher. Someone who will excell at his role? Not A FAN OF D.ANDERSON.
7 - Thomas Morestead - SMU/P - 6'4 225LBS, With the uncertainty of whether McBRIAR comes back at 100%?
7 - Mike Goodson - T.A&M/RB - 6'0 212, FAST GUY. SPECIAL TEAMS?
I still pick Ellison because if we get Brace then we can have our saftey too. However, if we get Chung we can sure up that position for the future with these two, because it has been a problem position for three years? Mckenzie,Folett gives us what we need, insurance if Brookins doesn't hold up,and Mckenzie takes Burnett's 3rd down job. Byrd is our deep threat,as i am not comfortable going to early for Wr. It is time to see what we have with the young guys here? D.Ander., enough said, Pressley is a punishing blocker. Mitchell or Goodson is a wait and see,not really important,while Morestead is our insurance? What do you think?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Bigtommyb;2705073 said:
This is mock draft 3.0 addition
2 - Ron Brace - BC/NT - 6'3 333lbs. If he is gone - Patrick Chung -ORE/S - 5 11 3/4 210.
3 - Tyrone Mckenzie - S.FL/OLB - 6'1 243lbs - Put him on the inside and he has good cover skills,ie, poss 3rd down option.
3 - I would acquire this pick by trading a 4th and 5th rounder to get another late in the third. With this pick i pick Kevin Ellison - USC/S - 6'2 225 lbs.
4 - Zach Follett -CAL/OLB - 6'2 240lbs, Put him on inside also, manly because he is better in a box then in space, also ST.
5 - Demetrius Byrd - LSU/WR - 6'0 200lbs 4.4 speed
5 - Ray Feing - BYU/OG - 6'4 330.
6 - Khalif Mitchell - E.CAR/DT,DE - 6'5 317 LBS ,He is a project possibly catch lightning in a botle?
6 - Chris Pressley -WIS/FB - 6'1 259lbs. He is a punishing blocker, but not a great pass catcher. Someone who will excell at his role? Not A FAN OF D.ANDERSON.
7 - Thomas Morestead - SMU/P - 6'4 225LBS, With the uncertainty of whether McBRIAR comes back at 100%?
7 - Mike Goodson - T.A&M/RB - 6'0 212, FAST GUY. SPECIAL TEAMS?
I still pick Ellison because if we get Brace then we can have our saftey too. However, if we get Chung we can sure up that position for the future with these two, because it has been a problem position for three years? Mckenzie,Folett gives us what we need, insurance if Brookins doesn't hold up,and Mckenzie takes Burnett's 3rd down job. Byrd is our deep threat,as i am not comfortable going to early for Wr. It is time to see what we have with the young guys here? D.Ander., enough said, Pressley is a punishing blocker. Mitchell or Goodson is a wait and see,not really important,while Morestead is our insurance? What do you think?

I don't like that mock draft at all..:confused:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Former Florida State cornerback Tony Carter has visits set up with the Cowboys, Texans, Steelers and the Patriots