Who fumbled, lads, Dak or Hunter? And how Dallas punched itself in the face

cowboys1732

Reaction score
Regardless of the “stat line”, I think the OP is asking who was at fault. No different than if a QB throws a perfect pass, the receiver inexcusably tips or drops the ball in the air, and the defense intercepts it (see Mahomes and Toney this year). The turnover stat is on the QB. It looked like to me it was on Luepke, but I doubt hurrying to the line to get the play off so they did not take a penalty or have to take another time out helped.

Reactions: CWR

Zman5

Reaction score
Dak puts the ball right at Lupke's chest. Right at the numbers like where it's supposed to be. It's weird how Lupke doesn't even react to not having the ball. It almost looks like he thought they were running a play action pass play.

Blackrain

Reaction score
The moment was too big for Hunter he didn't concentrate it was like running before you tuck the ball away on a pass play his concentration was so much on the line of scrimmage and getting over it that he did not secure the ball it was on the running back

Dak put the ball in his chest he needs to secure it and get over the goal line.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
They can attack all they want that is the rule. And thanks for the support!

Here is the box score and it clearly shows Dak with a fumble lost:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys-miami-dolphins-20231224015/
That's such a false narrative and a disingenuous response. If a qb throws a ball that perfectly hits the wr in the hands but the receiver fails to catch it and the ball bounces up and is intercepted the int shows up in the boxscore as a QB stat. If the center has a bad snap on a FG or the holder bobbles it before placing it, the missed FG goes against the Kicker. Just because that is where the stat is credited to, doesn't mean that is who is responsible. If you want to pin all bad things on a certain player, that's c your prerogative, but don't try to pass it off as fact.

starfan1

Reaction score
That's such a false narrative and a disingenuous response. If a qb throws a ball that perfectly hits the wr in the hands but the receiver fails to catch it and the ball bounces up and is intercepted the int shows up in the boxscore as a QB stat. If the center has a bad snap on a FG or the holder bobbles it before placing it, the missed FG goes against the Kicker. Just because that is where the stat is credited to, doesn't mean that is who is responsible. If you want to pin all bad things on a certain player, that's c your prerogative, but don't try to pass it off as fact.
I mean BDC is a big Dak denier or hater whatever you want to call it but he’s right statistically it’s going on Dak

Even though he put the ball right where he needed to

The argument isnt who’s fault it was to me it’s more about how this team just finds different ways to screw up whether it’s a play call or execution or penalty etc

It’s 1st and goal from 1 mind you and them dipsticks feel like it’s a good idea to get cute they are just stupid from Jerry on down

That should have been a sneak from jump street . We scored anyway buts just another indicator of shortcomings

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
It was a very strange fumble. Really didn't make sense.
yeah, almost appears like Hunter didn't expect to have the ball. But the QB is usually at fault in these situations...the back has his eyes for the hole and the QB should have his eyes only on sticking it into the arms opening for the proper handoff. Hunter never had control of it.
Interesting thoughts....... Maybe Hunter wasn't supposed to get the ball because that is how they practiced the play. That would explain why he kept his arms folded like he did instead of reaching around trying to find the ball. Maybe Dak was supposed to fake the handoff and roll out or something and just messed up the play.

I would really like to hear an explanation of what the play was actually designed to do.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Ok, so using your train of thought, if a receiver catches a 3 yard screen and turns it into a 70 yard TD, why should the QB get the credit for an 70 yard TD pass? The receiver did all the work, not the QB.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It was weird how Luepke dove into the end zone like he had the ball
Not weird to me.
Diving into the end zone is the kind of thing I'd expect from a guy who was trying to play up a fake handoff.
Luepke made no move to take the handoff.
He did make a move to fake like he had it.

Clearly Luepke just didn't think he was getting the ball. Most likely it was his bad, and I say that as someone who has been pulling for him to be more involved in the offense all year.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
Didn’t hunter get the ball earlier on a run play. Need to see a video of that carry

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dak fumbled. The last player who has possession of the ball is credited with the fumble.

Hunter never had the ball so he couldn't fumble it.
Regardless of who the NFL credits with the fumble, the *mistake* that led to the fumble was most likely Luepke's in failing to take the handoff given him.