Who is coaching us next year if Garrett is out

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Have no idea if he can design a good passing game. The read option killed everyone his first year with Kaepernick, then teams caught on. We haven’t seen what his plan B is once teams figure out to limit Jackson’s mobility.

jhj7098

Reaction score
I’m scared as well. But as far as NFL coaches go he’s up there. Unfortunately, Mike Holmgren is so old as he would be at the top of my list of HC’s with experience. I’ve had my short list of Urban, Lincoln, and Dabo, but if we go the NFL route he’s intriguing.
Can't touch Dabo! :)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I remember when he was with the Niners and made a QB who couldn’t throw the football into a QB. He also made Tyrod into a player. Now he has what looks like the MVP. Jackson however is a talented dude as we saw all of this in college.

I’ve been on the train of experience and winning mentality for our next HC, but Roman is intriguing.
he has been my favorite candidate. I like his toughness, attitude, creativity. he will bring some of the discipline from Ravens who are always tough and don't beat themselves. I take him over Riley or Meyer or any other college coach for that matter

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m scared as well. But as far as NFL coaches go he’s up there. Unfortunately, Mike Holmgren is so old as he would be at the top of my list of HC’s with experience. I’ve had my short list of Urban, Lincoln, and Dabo, but if we go the NFL route he’s intriguing.

Yeah, that's my list too. Throw in McDaniels and Harbaugh. It's kind of funny, that people are saying, a college HC has less of a chance to succeed, but ask Jerry how the last 2 college head coaches he hired did...

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
yes, about 20+ years ago. recent trend hasnt' bode well. and my point is that neither of them saw success early on...it took them several years to learn. specially coughlin who was let go from his first gig in Jax.

so do we want to give these coaches, 3, 4, or 5 years to learn? and that is if they learn....most of them fail than succeed. including some great ones like spurrier, saban, Kelly, etc.

and I know some one will bring up switzer, but lets not forget switzer came into a situation with a team that won 2 superbowls and most of the coaching staff was NFL coaches and they were the same coaches who coached under Johnson, running the same system. switzer was literally definition of a figure head.
I don't disagree with you on college coaches in the NFL. And I certainly agree with you regarding Switzer. Our dilemma, is head coaching resources.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
After taking time to consider all options I'd say the favorite is probably Bill Callahan.

Gets the OL right. He's a guru.

He'd make a good "Associate" Head Coach slash O Line coach if the Cowboys went with a college head coach.

I don't know if the break-up was Garrett-Callahan related or if the Jones and Bill had issues.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question is how many openings will there be and how attractive will those other jobs look?

There are a lot of things for a HC candidate to consider and among them the talent base he'd be working with and the time he'd have to take it to where it needed to go.

So far, the Skins job is open, probably ATL and there will be at least 4 more because there's always 6-9 and the time to turn it is shorter than ever.

These coordinators have the inside track because they know the NFL landscape and not knowing that is what sent Spurrier, Saban and Petrino back to college. The X's and O's are similar but coaching guys needing to make money is a hell of a lot different from coaching guys already making it and that difference from dressing 60 players v 45 is huge just as it is having 80 as opposed to 53.

In college, they are used to being the dog, although the transfer portal is changing some of that, and they are the tail in the NFL and a highly paid QB can get them fired.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Might as well start looking for special teams coaching because ours is pee wee caliber at best.

quickccc

Reaction score
Roman would be an awful hiring for this team.

He's a good guy to have if you have a running QB and no WRs. The Cowboys are the exact opposite of that.

+1

Fans that are rooting to hire Roman as HC, are envisioning Dak to be Lamar Jackson. but these fans don’t understand that Dak is not that kind of running QB,

if Dak does runs , it should be very much like how Russell Wilson uses his mobility, legs, and run skills - etc. it’s out on a broken field, scrambling situation
or few occasional surprise RPO option in red zone, goal line situations.

That’s basically what Wilson does, ..that’s basically what Dak does .

Rayman70

Reaction score
+1

Fans that are rooting to hire Roman as HC, are envisioning Dak to be Lamar Jackson. but these fans don’t understand that Dak is not that kind of running QB,

if Dak does runs , it should be very much like how Russell Wilson uses his mobility, legs, and run skills - etc. it’s out on a broken field, scrambling situation

no..he wont ever be Lamar. I envision him as a bright coach who will best utilize Dak and Zeke/Pollard. That simple.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
+1

Agreed.

And there's also the whole issue of QB longevity with a runner. Jackson is great, but so were Vick, RGIII and even Kaep. It just hasn't proven to be sustainable in the NFL, nor has it been proven to be a consistent winner.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I remember when he was with the Niners and made a QB who couldn’t throw the football into a QB. He also made Tyrod into a player. Now he has what looks like the MVP. Jackson however is a talented dude as we saw all of this in college.

I’ve been on the train of experience and winning mentality for our next HC, but Roman is intriguing.

Anyone over Garrett but I would not choose a first time coach. Lots of great coordinators fail. I prefer someone with a record.

Aven8

Reaction score
Might as well start looking for special teams coaching because ours is pee wee caliber at best.

After hearing Jerry on the radio this morning that’s happening for sure. Said it’s nice having a young energetic young coach but experience is missed. That’s not even a paraphrase. That’s exactly what he said.

Reactions: G2

bornafan1981

Reaction score
Roman would be an awful hiring for this team.

He's a good guy to have if you have a running QB and no WRs. The Cowboys are the exact opposite of that.

Jackson has thrown for more TDs than Dak, with half the INTs this season
Their TE has more catches than Cobb and Hollywood Brown is a good rookie WR