Who is LG now?

Knotamus

Reaction score
I’ve been telling my friends for weeks now that Dallas is going OL in the 1st Rd.
1) Percentage wise, OL are more plug/play and Cost effective for 5 years
2) Dallas has shown a knack for picking 1st Rd starters at OL
3) It’s a need. The OL position is shaky and needs talent infusion
4) Dak needs an efficient OL to excel. The whole offense for that matter

LT Tyron- great when healthy
LG Tyler- better T than G
C Biadasz- good, not great
RG- Martin- is great, but how much longer?
RT- Steele- good, but coming off knee injury

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
What’s the over/under on how many games Tyron Smith plays this year? 5? He’s missed over 40 games the last 3 seasons so based on his recent history he won’t be playing any position for very long.
Exactly and that's why with his restructured contract with incentives in that contract tells me he's going to be slated as the swing tackle...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
What’s the over/under on how many games Tyron Smith plays this year? 5? He’s missed over 40 games the last 3 seasons so based on his recent history he won’t be playing any position for very long.
He has every motivation to play this season as each game gets him more money in his pocket. Certainly they need a contingent plan due to his lack of durability, but that doesn't mean you spend another 1st rd pick to do so. To answer your question, I think it's fair to think he can play in half of the games.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Assuming everyone is healthy, which this year will be a stretch I have to believe Tyler Smith is the LG. With that said Steele is iffy to be ready week 1, Tyron struggles to stay on the field so I bet Tyler Smith ends up playing more T than G this year. Wouldnt shock me at all to see a 1st or 2nd round selection on an interior oline player with no certain LG on the roster, Biadasz in his walk year, and Martin getting into the heart of his 30s.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Exactly and that's why with his restructured contract with incentives in that contract tells me he's going to be slated as the swing tackle...
From the team standpoint I get where you are coming from, but if I'm Tyron Smith why am I taking a new incentive based contract if I know I'm going to be the swing tackle?

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
From the team standpoint I get where you are coming from, but if I'm Tyron Smith why am I taking a new incentive based contract if I know I'm going to be the swing tackle?
It was either rework your deal to stay in Dallas and finish your career or we're cutting you.....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Personally I think it would be wise for Dallas to draft an O-lineman within the 1st 4 rds. To me the OL is the cornerstone of the offense and as we have seen in the past when you weak along the OL it effects every aspect of the offense.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
He wants to make his 17 million salary, he cannot do that by being a backup.
He can't make 17 mil on the street if he's cut, that's why he reworked his deal...the man can't stay healthy anymore, you can't count on him but as a backup at his age he can be a serviceable swing tackle and stay in Dallas to finish his career..

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Tyron Smith can't stay on the field, that's been pretty evident over the last five years..
Soooooo..... then play him until he gets injured, and then you can go to your backup plan?

Purposefully putting inferior plays on the field because of the chance of injury is WILD.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Tyron Smith didn't take a pay cut to become the team's swing tackle.

77 RT. 73 LT and Steele when returns swing tackle with the likelihood of seeing action due to injury ( 77 ) . The LG needs to be found elsewhere . Mike Solari the new OL coach probably has his plans after watching tape .

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It was either rework your deal to stay in Dallas and finish your career or we're cutting you.....
I mean maybe if he only cared about finishing his career in Dallas, but the guy is only making $3M this year. He could have been cut and made 3X that in about 5 minutes on the market.

I think your logic is accurate and the best idea for a guy like Tyron at this point would be to take on a lesser role where he can be 100% when needed instead of constantly beat up and on the sidelines for reasons out of anyones control. With that said though these are professional athletes with egos who want to get on the field, and want to make money. There are also enough teams in need of Oline help that he would have multiple suitors on the FA market.

I find it hard to believe that a guy like Tyron who gave everything he had to this game wants to finally get his super bowl victory by being a backup.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I mean maybe if he only cared about finishing his career in Dallas, but the guy is only making $3M this year. He could have been cut and made 3X that in about 5 minutes on the market.

I think your logic is accurate and the best idea for a guy like Tyron at this point would be to take on a lesser role where he can be 100% when needed instead of constantly beat up and on the sidelines for reasons out of anyones control. With that said though these are professional athletes with egos who want to get on the field, and want to make money. There are also enough teams in need of Oline help that he would have multiple suitors on the FA market.

I find it hard to believe that a guy like Tyron who gave everything he had to this game wants to finally get his super bowl victory by being a backup.
Tyron has been a team player from the very beginning.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Don't see Tyler moving to Guard, He's proved last year he's the left tackle going forward, Tyron will be the backup swing tackle if Steele isn't ready to go for training camp, Dallas signed Edoga to a one year deal and I think they'll move him inside to guard to compete for the left guard spot along with a guard/center they draft...
Do you want a decent LT? Or do you want an elite LG?