Who is the ideal head coach for this team?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maikeru-sama;2314359 said:
:laugh2:

Just out of curiousity, what would you do with Ratliff in a 4-3? Would you keep him at Tackle or move him to end?

Also, I think Demarcus Ware would be a better NFL Linebacker than a Defensive End, assuming that you would move him to Right End in a 4-3 scheme.

But hopefully our 3-4 scheme doesn't limit the coaches we choose from.

I would move Ware back and fourth from DE to pass rushing Linebacker to take advantage of matchups.

Rat and Ellis/Spencer would be the other DE's

Spears/Tank would be tackles with Rat in certain pass rushing situations.

Zack (if he is still here) Burnett, Carp, James would be our Linebackers with a little Roy W thrown in here and there.

The backfield would stay the same .... with the exception of Roy playing a little LB once in a while.

The guy I have the most problem finding a spot for is Canty ..... but I would trade him and a second for Detroit's Roy Williams :).

If we wanted to keep him (which I really do) He would probably stay at end.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I think it's too late to go back to the 4-3

but someone already pointed out that Mike Tomlin is a traditional 4-3 coach, but his Steelers are in a 3-4

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2314364 said:
It's funny, I thought there would be more votes for Garrett as the HC. That said, I never really took that into consideration. I think if another HC was brought in, then it would seem that JG was gone.

On a side note, it didn't matter whether the coach was a 3-4 or 4-3.

I think Garrett is still raw as a coach, he doesn't seem very flexible at the moment

I don't want him to be Wade Phillips' flexible though lol

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
LOL - 4 years of adding parts and building a 3-4 go blow it all up and start over at 4-3

Wade mixes up how Ware, Spencer, Ellis pass rush

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2314385 said:
I think it's too late to go back to the 4-3

but someone already pointed out that Mike Tomlin is a traditional 4-3 coach, but his Steelers are in a 3-4

I disagree.

I doubt we will be going back to a 3-4, but like zrinkill pointed out, we have the personell for a very strong and stout 4-3.

I think the biggest problem is that Demarcus Ware, our biggest threat up front would be a linebacker. And in a 4-3 scheme, he wouldn't blitz as much and have to play alot more coverage.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2314364 said:
It's funny, I thought there would be more votes for Garrett as the HC. That said, I never really took that into consideration. I think if another HC was brought in, then it would seem that JG was gone.

On a side note, it didn't matter whether the coach was a 3-4 or 4-3.

I vote Matt Millen

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2314393 said:
I disagree.

I doubt we will be going back to a 3-4, but like zrinkill pointed out, we have the personell for a very strong and stout 4-3.

I think the biggest problem is that Demarcus Ware, our biggest threat up front would be a linebacker. And in a 4-3 scheme, he wouldn't blitz as much and have to play alot more coverage.

:confused:

Ware would be a DE in a 43

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2314409 said:
:confused:

Ware would be a DE in a 43

Most likely he will be a hybrid.

But as I stated, I think he is a better 3-4 linebacker than he is a 4-3 Defensive end.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2314415 said:

But as I stated, I think he is a better 3-4 linebacker than he is a 4-3 Defensive end.

which defeats the whole purpose of switching to the 43

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maikeru-sama;2314415 said:

I agree with that ..... I just think everyone else (except Canty) fits better in a 4-3.

Rat I think is naturally a 4-3 DE but could easily play DT in it as well.

Tank is a natural 4-3 DT.

Spears (I believe) should have been a 4-3 DT by the way he plays (admittedly he is not built like one)

Ellis is obviously a natural 4-3 DE

Spencer played 4-3 DE in college and physically is a lot like Ellis.

Zack is a 4-3 Linebacker

Burnett I believe is a better 4-3 outside LB

Carp I think is a natural 4-3 LB since he has trouble shedding blockers.

James may be a little big ..... but he also has trouble shedding blockers.

All this is of course just my opinion.

Just do not understand the "4 years of adding parts and building a 3-4" mentality since most of the pieces we have added have come from 4-3 programs.

:)

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2314422 said:
which defeats the whole purpose of switching to the 43

Not when you have Ratliff and Ellis.

Could you imagine Demarcus Ware coming on a WLB blitz with Ellis (who can play both End spots) and Ratliff rushing the passer?

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
zrinkill;2314434 said:
I agree with that ..... I just think everyone else (except Canty) fits better in a 4-3.

Rat I think is naturally a 4-3 DE but could easily play DT in it as well.

Tank is a natural 4-3 DT.

Spears (I believe) should have been a 4-3 DT by the way he plays (admittedly he is not built like one)

Ellis is obviously a natural 4-3 DE

Spencer played 4-3 DE in college and physically is a lot like Ellis.

Zack is a 4-3 Linebacker

Burnett I believe is a better 4-3 outside LB

Carp I think is a natural 4-3 LB since he has trouble shedding blockers.

James may be a little big ..... but he also has trouble shedding blockers.

All this is of course just my opinion.

Just do not understand the "4 years of adding parts and building a 3-4" mentality since most of the pieces we have added have come from 4-3 programs.

:)

I agree.

Personally, I have given up on Bobby Carpenter, so I don't know where he would fit.

But I think you do a good job of pointing out that reverting back to a 4-3 wouldn't take as long as people think.

I am comfortable with the 3-4. I don't think it is the formation but the players and the scheme that matter.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
it's going to jason g. so the "ideal coach" discussion is sorta moot. i'd take his brother over him actually for HC. i see nothing motivational about jason G and can see him being another mad mike martz myself... too smart for their own good.

if jerruh suddenly improved his football IQ he'd get Cowher here ASAP from a motivation/discipine standpoint who is also a "player's guy" at times... tuna's motivation without the abrasion and Wade's player coach minus the cupcakes & excuse-o-rama.

oh well.

WoodysGirl;2313961 said:
Lots of dislike of Wade. And it wouldn't matter if he won the SB tomorrow, the dislike will still be there.

So of the current coaches in the league, including those unemployed, but want to coach, and the latest hot candidates who's your ideal coach to get this team over the hump and why?

Just curious...

Everson24

Reaction score
I want the fiery old Bill Cowher with the old teeth. The new Pat Healy teeth wont even let any spit through.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
My first choice would be Mike Singletary. We need a great leader of men and that is his fortay. We would be assured that our MLB is a budding star with his coaching technique and our defense will always play with passion.

My second choice would be Jack Del Rio, I think good teams take on their coaches personality so we would be assured that we are tough and gritty on defense.

My third choice would be Mike Martz. I know, I know but the guy is an offensive guru. If you think Garrett is good what could Martz do with this offense. Felix Jones would be used like Marshall Faulk and all he would have to do is go get a defensive coordinator like a Dom Capers to get this defense to play to its potential.

mmohican29

Reaction score
no particular order:

Jeff Fisher
Rex Ryan
Jim Schwartz
Houston Nutt
Les Miles
Brian Billick

DTK

Reaction score
I would love to have JEFF FISHER. He knows defense, he's smart and he's young enough to be around awhile. Plus, it seems as if his teams always play above their talent level.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Rack;2313972 said:
I've always thought Cowher was overrated. He whines too much (or puts on a whiny face) for my liking.

I wouldn't mind having Jeff Fisher. :D

Love that guy.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I'll take the 3-4 over the 4-3. That is the best way to use DeMarcus Ware. He is a pure hybrid player. In my opinion, you will wear him down in a traditional 4-3. There are so many looks and directions you can bring heat in the 3-4. Phillips' Cowboy package has been a big success. His 3-4s have been very stout against the run. Plus, the 3-4 gives you a competitive advantage in the draft.

I'm sticking with Wade Phillips. He will get the job done. Scandrick, Pacman, Jenkins, Brown, Henry playing a different role, Newman has missed time in the base and two games...

The defense has marched on and keeps getting bad mouthed. The game at Green Bay was solid. The defense pretty much owned the Packers in that game. They held them to 9 points before garbage time. They took away their running game, and put it on McCarthy and Rodgers. Also, the Eagles scored 7 points in the second half after getting a whole lot of help from the Romo and the refs.

Before Phillips arrived in Dallas, the team was torched for big plays through the air. Phillips put a stop to those big plays that were killing Dallas.