Who is winning championships without a Franchise QB?

Turk

Reaction score
Then I guess you missed those divisional playoff games where we’ve come as close to a championship appearance as we did a couple times in 2007 and 2014.

That’s about as good as it’s been this era under our dysfunctional organization.
Typical bandwagon fan. Satisfied with less. Dak is nothing without a Defense just like all other QBs with rings.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yah, again, you are talking about the best D's in NFL history and comparing that to top 5 QB's at any time.

Im simply talking about a top 5 D vs a top 5 QB.

If I was a owner I would build teams in the mold of what the Steelers typically try to do. They hang their hat on great defense. I focus on that side of the ball most of time in building the team.
Same here but even the Steelers broke their own mold from the 70's when it was the run game and D that were the power.

The other challenge is it is a lot easier to hold onto your top 5 QB than hold a top 5 D together in today's NFL. Crazy Al picked Larry Brown off the Cowboys because he had one standout game in the SB.

The other thing, that at least I believe it now more than in the past, is that it is so much easier to build an offense through the draft than a defense. Just look at the WR depth v the CB depth in every draft now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Same here but even the Steelers broke their own mold from the 70's when it was the run game and D that were the power.

The other challenge is it is a lot easier to hold onto your top 5 QB than hold a top 5 D together in today's NFL. Crazy Al picked Larry Brown off the Cowboys because he had one standout game in the SB.

The other thing, that at least I believe it now more than in the past, is that it is so much easier to build an offense through the draft than a defense. Just look at the WR depth v the CB depth in every draft now.

I have to agree with you on all counts. Tough to keep all those great D players around. And there are offensive players all over the place every year. We could go BPA and pick offense nearly every time it seems in the first round.

But thats why I focus most of my drafts on the Defensive side of the ball. On offense I pay the QB and the Oline. I never pay a RB and I pay maybe one great WR, thats it.

If you have a great QB and great Oline you shouldnt need top notch skill players. Maybe one or two and the rest you can fill with well priced veterans like the Pats did.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak's elite. Hate has blinded judgement.
um no far from it tier 2

ranks 6-10 you can call it what you want hes not on Mahomes, rogers, brees, Bigben, Brady, or wilsons level at their peak. Hes notch with gap below ..daks not specials hes simply good no one said he sucked , hes just not elite nor will he ever be

Hypotenoose

Reaction score
The sooner all Cowboy fans begin adjusting their expectations due to our dysfunctional organization and the lowered Bar this era the sooner we can be on the same thought process .
Agreed. The Dallas Cowboys are a rather good analogy to the Indiana Hoosiers of college basketball. They used to be a blue blood. Now, it’s just the butt end of jokes.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You are confusing hater with troll.

YOU think you are trolling me, but Im not some softy cry baby like some of these other clowns.
Im not trolling anyone, do you even understand the definition of "trolling" ?
Talk to some fishermen, thats where you will begin to understand the term.
The term that defines you as a poster here on this forum.

Brax

Reaction score
Amazing how when the hater clowns thought Dak was just a bus driver, we always needed a great QB. We needed a real franchise QB.

The moment Dak developed into a top franchise QB, all of a sudden the clowns dont want one anymore. They want cheap QB's.

Ironic how the mind of a troll works. From dumb to dumber.
The problem is Dak isn't a franchise QB except to Dak apologists like you. Ironic that Dak is a prefect bus driver but cow-girl crushes just can't see it. Sad oh so sad troll.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Typical bandwagon fan. Satisfied with less. Dak is nothing without a Defense just like all other QBs with rings.
You wouldn’t recognize talent if it were wrapped in sandpaper shoved inside you with no KY.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
How does Dak have us over a barrel?

From a different perspective, we have an out of contract QB, who cant yet pass a physical, and who has been unconvincing begging for money from a team who are in a good position in the draft AND have the cap space to sign or trade for an elite QB.

I just love a good fairy tale.

Begging for money
Team in a good position to trade for an elite QB

Please, please tell me they live happily ever after.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
You wouldn’t recognize talent if it were wrapped in sandpaper shoved inside you with no KY.

Why the unnecessary anal fixation when discussing the Cowboys? I mean, I know JJ has his head up his arse in running this organization into the ground but really?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Why the unnecessary anal fixation when discussing the Cowboys? I mean, I know JJ has his head up his arse in running this organization into the ground but really?
Equally intolerance for differences of opinions.

Motorola

Reaction score
I would argue that many if not most teams have a "franchise" QB and a lot of them are mediocre lacking the ability to elevate the team. Some of those QBs have been jettisoned recently, but their former teams paid them mightily and in some cases took a huge hit to get rid of them.

I wouldn't consider Brady a franchise QB with Tampa. He is a year to year merc, IMO.
But with the accomplishments over career - Brady is considered an elite QB all time.

Motorola

Reaction score
There was a brief period of time where Brad Johnson was pretty dang good, but I agree he's probably someone I consider a franchise QB. You make an excellent point.
I consider Brad Johnson more of a jorneyman starter than a franchise QB.
Vikings - 5 seasons: no starts in the first two, 23 starts over the next three years
Commanders- 2 seasons: 27 starts
Buccaneers - 4 seasons: 45 starts in first 3 seasons, 4 starts in the fourth year
Vikings - 2 seasons: 23 starts
Cowboys - 2 seasons: Backup QB, 3 starts in final year of career

Reactions: CWR

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
zero percent of teams dumb enough to pay their QB over 40 mil per on a short term deal(no room for cap relief) have ever won a single game.

What Dak is asking for is unprecedented.