Who looked good in the game and who did not?

kskboys

Reaction score
He's very good at setting up defenders with his routes in the red zone. Go back to last week when he schooled a starting Raiders corner in the endzone for a TD catch. Flournoy is still a little raw but I think he can be a faster, more explosive version of pre-injury Michael Gallup.
Hmmmmmmmmm, gonna have to check this out!!!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Post who you thought did a good job in the game.
Post who you thought did not.

Who might have played their way onto the team or who played their way off of the team.
Not really sure it matters. 95% of the evaluation was already done before the kick off.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Trey Lance looked good and he also didn’t look good, but he looked good more than he looked bad. 4 interceptions didn’t look good, the 5th interception was on Cam Johnson the Wr, he let the DB literally take the ball from him.
Deuce looked good, Royce Freeman looked good,

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Jerry will keep both Rush and Trance and it will effect another position.

Which would just add on to the mistake of trading a 4th, $5.3M and a player plucked from our practice squad because of Trance.
Actually it will not effect another position. That player would be on the inactive list all year long. Like Fehoko was last season. Trey was also as the emergency QB, basically inactive all year.
And that player would not be poached from the PS. None of the PS players were poached last year, or the year before.

Fans tend to overrate our bottom roster and PS players. They call up players from the PS and keep players from the 53 being active. CJ Goodwin is the perfect example.
They did it with Rush before as well.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At LB Buddy Johnson & Darius Harris just kept making plays after plays. Then I see Overshown dinged in camp this year and Damone Clark in yr three is he ever going to be the player Dallas thought .

Hate to lose either Harris or Johnson to another team at a position known for players to miss games.
Zimmer has Clark back at his more natural LB role. Quinn and his screwed up ideas made him look bad.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Actually it will not effect another position. That player would be on the inactive list all year long. Like Fehoko was last season. Trey was also as the emergency QB, basically inactive all year.
And that player would not be poached from the PS. None of the PS players were poached last year, or the year before.

Fans tend to overrate our bottom roster and PS players. They call up players from the PS and keep players from the 53 being active. CJ Goodwin is the perfect example.
They did it with Rush before as well.
They did lose Isaiah Land on cutdown day to the Colts.

blueblood70

Reaction score
My sentiment exactly, Rico may offer more juice than the other guys sans Vaughn, but otherwise this RB room is filled with slower north/South type runners with limited upside as a big play threat. It would make zero sense to let Vaughn go based on what he's shown the last few preseason games vs the other guys. Understand he's been injured, but if the coaches really see more potential from the rest of the room it would be a significant miss.
Right,

besides that fact,

his college career stats the things he's done as a regular running back and double duty in special teams in college can't be overlooked...

I know the man is small but he can play the position if you give him a good role and you use them in the right spot and not try to use them like a hammer like they tried with Tony Pollard last year.

I'd say that run game was more the fault of Mike McCarthy last year than anything else, I think he used Tony like he was zeke and he used Rico like he was Tony!!

Rico should have been used far more in traditional run sets and I know Tony made a lot of money last year but he should have been the in the same role he was behind Zeke

I don't care who you call the starter, I don't care who you call running back one, I don't care this year they can name zeke the starter out of respect, but I want to see the right rotations the right packages the right players put in positive situations.

Creeper

Reaction score
After re-watching the game on the NFL Network yesterday, interestingly with Cowboys announcers instead of the Chargers homers on the original broadcast, I think Flournoy and Justin Rogers should make the 53 man roster. I also think the OL cuts will be hard. Josh Ball looked good at RG. But Bass looks good too. Hoffman also looks good and can play C or G so he must be a keeper too. Asim Richards had a good game at LT. I know this is against scrubs but he did a good job none-the-less. And he has looked good inside. I think Ball or Bass gets cut if they keep only 9 OL. Edoga will start the season on IR. Nathan Thomas will probably go to IR too.

Maybe Flournoy is the guy who shines in pre-season and stinks once the season starts, but I don't think so. They guy shows polish for a rookie. He runs good routes, appears to have good hands, and he is a pretty good blocker. I think he has to be one of the 6 WRs they keep. I think Burnett, Cropper, an Harmon also look good but Flournoy appears to be the professional of the bunch.

If you watch Justin Rogers, he seems to be able to hold his ground in side and stack the line which is what you want from DTs where your LBs are active. He looks better at that right now than Mazi did coming into his rookie season. Sure signing Joseph and trading for Phillips is great, but they are at the end of their careers. What do you do with them next year? Rogers is youth and if he develops could wind up being a very solid DT. Again, it's preseason and he was facing backups, but so was Mazi last year. If they keep 5 DTs, It should be Osa, Phllips, Joseph, Mazi and Rodgers.