Who still has cable, and why?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Me neither.

Had a buddy email me just yesterday telling me how good a show looked on his phone...

I replied "WTH? Why would I want to watch a TV show that I enjoyed on a screen only a few inches from corner to corner?"

I didn't tell him that I though it was dumb... but it is. lol

When I was a kid it was a big deal going from a 13" TV in your bedroom to a 19". Or going from a 25" console TV to a 32" table-top TV.

But to watch something I enjoy on a 10" screen or smaller?

What is the world coming to... lol

Why would you guys watch it on your phone?

Cast it to your TV screen and you're good.

Ren

Reaction score
I stream everything these days, don't even miss cable. I should have cut it out sooner

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I cut the "cable TV cord" years ago. (I'm streaming TV only) On the other hand, I still do have Xfinitiy cable Internet service.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I stream everything these days, don't even miss cable. I should have cut it out sooner
Dude, go to someones house and watch regular TV again for like 2 hours. You will get so freaking annoyed at all the commercials rofl. I went to Tulsa to a buddies house and he had some college football on and I was blown away that people actually watch that crap with so many freaking commercials! It's unreal! It feels like almost a 50/50 balance.

I see ZERO commercials these days and it's freaking heaven! Even better, I skip the intro to shows and the credits rofl. It's all feature content all the time! Hell even my YouTube has no banners or wait 5 seconds to skip haha.

I mean....

lukin2006

Reaction score
I was a cord cutter for about 5 years. Relied on Netflix and over the air antenna...I survived no problem. I recently moved and had cable installed, mainly for live sports.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Dude, go to someones house and watch regular TV again for like 2 hours. You will get so freaking annoyed at all the commercials rofl. I went to Tulsa to a buddies house and he had some college football on and I was blown away that people actually watch that crap with so many freaking commercials! It's unreal! It feels like almost a 50/50 balance.

I see ZERO commercials these days and it's freaking heaven! Even better, I skip the intro to shows and the credits rofl. It's all feature content all the time! Hell even my YouTube has no banners or wait 5 seconds to skip haha.

I mean....

Yeah,I trip out now when seeing TV. It’s hella annoying. I can’t take the cacophony of commercial noise going on.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Cord cutting is overrated

Small screens, multiple platforms and passwords and still reliant on Cable for internet

Netflix is OK for binging but I don't want to produce my entire TV watching experience..... I want to go to the Guide and be surprised..... plus I want all my sports in HD on large TVs

$150-200 is the going rate

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

Small screens, multiple platforms and passwords and still reliant on Cable for internet

Netflix is OK for binging but I don't want to produce my entire TV watching experience..... I want to go to the Guide and be surprised..... plus I want all my sports in HD on large TVs

I would say get a hobby and then you can do away with your cable TV. Though, my hobbies are a crap load more expensive than stupid cable TV.

Ren

Reaction score

You describe 2008 dude, i still get all my sports on a 70", with a roku or a similar device you can watch it on your tv no problem and in full HD (or better if it's being streamed at higher resolution) and changing platforms is as easy as changing the channel.

If you have a stable 12mb/s or better connection you can stream even 4k. Most cable and satellite providers can barely go 1080p. Directv has a 4k option but it's an absolute joke 2 dedicated 4k channels that repeat the same programing over and over.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
You describe 2008 dude, i still get all my sports on a 70", with a roku or a similar device you can watch it on your tv no problem and in full HD (or better if it's being streamed at higher resolution) and changing platforms is as easy as changing the channel.

If you have a stable 12mb/s or better connection you can stream even 4k. Most cable and satellite providers can barely go 1080p. Directv has a 4k option but it's an absolute joke 2 dedicated 4k channels that repeat the same programing over and over.

Yep, I watch my Dallas Stars in full HD stream and I do so without being inundated with commercials. Even better, I can pause it or even if I'm busy. I can watch it after the fact or rewatch it any time I want.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Looool. It’s true though...SF is a straight party town!! He’s got no business living there if he’s not digging in and going full Monty right now at that age.
So, does this mean you never had cable? :lmao2:

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I'm engaged my man
HJEiMWv.jpg

Hardline

Reaction score
Get an Amazon Fire Stick and jailbreak it.
Easy tutorials on YouTube.
I haven't paid for TV in two years.

Just need a WiFi connection.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am a DirecTV guy for 20 years and could probably save some money but I've got my DVR, Amazon, Netflix, HBO plus Redbox or my DVD/Blu Ray library and am set in my ways. Someone would have to show me something better or that I am missing something to change.

I sit my butt down in front of the flat screen and am content, don't care for watching stuff on a computer.

I do not like DirecTV since ATT owns them and they magically come out with a new DVR just when mine seems to be wearing out and with that comes a new 2 year deal but they do provide a service that I find acceptable.

But, unlike the OP, I am not engaged and that could change everything. I wouldn't watch TV on the wedding night and limit my viewing during the honeymoon. But no Lifetime crap to make my bride feel I was in touch, boundaries have to be set up prior to the nuptials.

And I certainly hope Cowboy Brian has a pre-nuptial regarding the remote.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Honestly? Once you start doing it,you just don’t care after a bit. Doesn’t bother me at all now. I’m just used to it,and enjoy it as much as my TV screen.

I don't like watching things on my 63" TV. Absolutely hate it on a computer monitor. The phone would never be acceptable for anything more than a short youtube video or movie trailer.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I don't like watching things on my 63" TV. Absolutely hate it on a computer monitor. The phone would never be acceptable for anything more than a short youtube video or movie trailer.
Then don’t. Doesn’t bother me though.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't imagine watching a whole movie on my phone. I was watching GoT on my laptop, before I decided to just go ahead and pay for HBO, and it was a pain in the ***. I much prefer watching on a 48" screen. I also don't need my glasses then. lol
Imagine carrying around an 80 inch laptop!!!

Chrispierce

Reaction score
So, does this mean you never had cable? :lmao2:
Loool Oh no...I had it. I don’t know why though? I was a stoner playing video games,and watching free movies from the library. I much prefer what I do know. I have unlimited data anyways...and can watch anything I want for free.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I recently figured the ins and outs of the Firestick. Now, I am in a frenzy since Terranium was dissolved, that was the only path I knew to watch movies without buffering all of the time :lmao: