Who still has cable, and why?

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I recently cut cable and went with Direct TV Now (streaming, not satellite), Amazon Prime and Netflix.

I ended up saving about $170 a month.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I recently cut cable and went with Direct TV Now (streaming, not satellite), Amazon Prime and Netflix.

I ended up saving about $170 a month.
Holy crap....how much was your cable bill? That’s crazy.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Holy crap....how much was your cable bill? That’s crazy.
It was about $300 per month.
I had several pay channels and it was bundled with phone and internet. Plus the Tivo rentals.

Now I just have internet through them and it's less than $100 per month.
Then $25 for Direct TV Now and $10 for Netflix and another $10 or so a month for Amazon Prime. And I still get HBO with Direct.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was about $300 per month.
I had several pay channels and it was bundled with phone and internet. Plus the Tivo rentals.

Now I just have internet through them and it's less than $100 per month.
Then $25 for Direct TV Now and $10 for Netflix and another $10 or so a month for Amazon Prime. And I still get HBO with Direct.

You get Direct TV for $25 when all advertisements for them I have seen say that the basic package starts at $35?
I looked up Direct TV Now package and the lowest package they show is $40.00 a month.

So are you getting a different package from them?

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
You get Direct TV for $25 when all advertisements for them I have seen say that the basic package starts at $35?
I looked up Direct TV Now package and the lowest package they show is $40.00 a month.

So are you getting a different package from them?
I have AT&T unlimited package for my phone so I get a $15 discount.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Cord cutting is overrated

Small screens, multiple platforms and passwords and still reliant on Cable for internet

Netflix is OK for binging but I don't want to produce my entire TV watching experience..... I want to go to the Guide and be surprised..... plus I want all my sports in HD on large TVs

$150-200 is the going rate
Get the introductory rate if you can lol. I have Spectrum, which sucks in general, but....Internet and TV for $140 - but that includes HBO, Starz and some extra sports stuff. No cost for equipment b/c you can stream through the app. I have Prime as well, so that's a lot of TV.

When you add it all up, including a streaming service, say Sling - $20 Sling, $9.99 Netflix, $10 Prime, $15 HBOGO - you're basically paying the same as cable TV, plus, you're not getting the bundled internet price.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have AT&T unlimited package for my phone so I get a $15 discount.

Love my Internet service. Other companies might get better download speeds but ours has always been reliable, good service whenever I have had to call.

Even with keeping our internet service I think the Cable TV aspect of it would be cheaper with what you are talking about.

Problem is a couple of things...Wife's grandfather had it and no matter what other people said, when we had storms in our area his picture would get crappy and he had an unobstructed signal path from his satellite. DVRs...I don't know how much it would add but I got to have my DVR lol.

My parents are talking about moving to Direct....I might see how the service is for them, as it may be better now and maybe think about switching over later.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Love my Internet service. Other companies might get better download speeds but ours has always been reliable, good service whenever I have had to call.

Even with keeping our internet service I think the Cable TV aspect of it would be cheaper with what you are talking about.

Problem is a couple of things...Wife's grandfather had it and no matter what other people said, when we had storms in our area his picture would get crappy and he had an unobstructed signal path from his satellite. DVRs...I don't know how much it would add but I got to have my DVR lol.

My parents are talking about moving to Direct....I might see how the service is for them, as it may be better now and maybe think about switching over later.
Direct TV Now is streaming, not satellite so storms don't matter. I'm running it off of my Rokus. Direct TV Now also just came out with a Cloud DVR for their streaming package. I haven't tried it yet.

rynochop

Reaction score
Get the introductory rate if you can lol. I have Spectrum, which sucks in general, but....Internet and TV for $140 - but that includes HBO, Starz and some extra sports stuff. No cost for equipment b/c you can stream through the app. I have Prime as well, so that's a lot of TV.

When you add it all up, including a streaming service, say Sling - $20 Sling, $9.99 Netflix, $10 Prime, $15 HBOGO - you're basically paying the same as cable TV, plus, you're not getting the bundled internet price.
That's my beef with cord cutting..don't want to have to mess around with all those platforms to save a few bucks. I'd rather get my local channels and sports and whatnot all at once..and yes get dishs 40 freaking infomercials

FloridaRob

Reaction score
How can you watch a live sporting event without commercials unless it is on a recording. And that wont do me any good. I have enough issues wanting to know the score and game sequence right now. Who can watch a sporting event when the outcome has already been determined. That is just silly.

csirl

Reaction score
How can you watch a live sporting event without commercials unless it is on a recording. And that wont do me any good. I have enough issues wanting to know the score and game sequence right now. Who can watch a sporting event when the outcome has already been determined. That is just silly.

In Europe there are a lot less ads on TV and some national broadcasters with none! Dont know how Americans put up with so many commercials. When NFL games are shown in Europe, the tv stations have to hire an extra studio crew of analysts to broadcast when US viewers are on commercial breaks.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
In Europe there are a lot less ads on TV and some national broadcasters with none! Dont know how Americans put up with so many commercials. When NFL games are shown in Europe, the tv stations have to hire an extra studio crew of analysts to broadcast when US viewers are on commercial breaks.

Maybe so, but I doubt those providers are paying 70 bazillion dollars for the rights to broadcast.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'm 25, Comcast ran a promo in SF that with an internet package it was only $10 a month more for cable for the first year. I got the package in June of 18, come June of 19 I'll no longer have cable.
You like paying more?
Splain.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
America is full on capitalism. It’s how our economy operates. Thus all the annoying commercials and advertising. “Come buy more shoes on sale now!”... “You need a car and got bad credit? We got your car!! Spend your money now and be poor later!!” .....”Do you have mesothelioma? The law firm of Stanley,Barnes and Wilcox associates can help you settle your claim....” ect,ect.

Last edited:

Quickdraw

Reaction score
I have cable but mostly for the high speed internet. Our city is going all fiber by the end of next year so I should have more choices. I'm not sure why I keep cable because I don't watch much TV anymore. I watch a handful of shows for what I'm paying for.

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
Satellite TV quality is much better than cable because it’s not routed through their systems.
But it goes out from the slightest wind or rain storm. That's the only time I'm watching TV. My parents had it back when I lived at their house. We hated it. To each their own though