Who was the worst starting Dallas QB of all time?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most of the QBs that are being mentioned were backups that got a start due to an injury to our starter. They were never technically a starting NFL QB for the Cowboys. They never won the job or were handed the job and given an opportunity to keep the job. I think Steve Walsh would have to be added because even though he got the starting job due to Troy Aikman being injured in 1989, he was given an opportunity to keep the job. The Cowboys were trying to decide between him and Aikman. Had Walsh played well Aikman may have been the one traded. However, Walsh ended up 1-4. Clint Stoerner could be added to the list because we were looking to find a QB. He got two starts in 2001 and had he played exceptionally well he would’ve remained the starter even though we used a second round pick on the Quincy Carter that year. Ryan Leaf was also given an opportunity in 2001. He would have remained at QB had he played well, but was 0-3.

Kellen Moore, and Brad Johnson only got starts because Romo was injured. I chose Steve Pelluer as the worst starting QB because he was our starting QB for 29 games and was terrible! He led us to a 3-13 record in 1988 and got Tom Landry fired. We ended up having to use the number one overall pick on a QB. I’m certainly not going to choose a QB that got only one or two starts and put them at the top of the list as the worst. I’ve seen Babe Laufenberg‘s name mentioned but he only got one start for the Cowboys due to injury. You’re naturally going to see some terrible performances from QBs that are backups that shouldn’t be in there but are forced into action due to injury.
Well done and exactly right.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're telling me you'd do a double take if a broadcaster were to say, "The starting QB today for Dallas is Cooper Rush"?

Seems like a pretty natural comment to me. To each his own.

Rush literally has several NFL starts under his belt. He was literally the team's starting QB in those specific games.
No analyst would say every QB off the bench in a back up role who started a game due to injuries would be defined as a NFL starting QB.

Now Dak is an exception because he eventually became our starting QB.

JayFord

Reaction score
Weeden, Hutchinson, Henson

No way Quincy Was the worst based off 2003 alone (yes i know 17tds 21 ints) but he was our qb for a 10-6 team something Weeden, Hutch and Henson couldnt do

Cassell was decent.....and by decent i mean decent enough for me to not lose my lunch....wasnt nothing he could do in 2015 coming off the street and no one walking him through the playbook with an injury riddled mess of a team

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The title reads “ who was the worst STARTING QB for the Cowboys “ .

Not who was worst QB to ever start a game for the Cowboys .

JayFord

Reaction score
Ben Dinucci gets a pass for me

dude had no business as a rookie, no traning camp due to covid, no preseason starting any game in the NFL his rookie year

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The title reads “ who was the worst STARTING QB for the Cowboys “ .

Not who was worst QB to ever start a game for the Cowboys .
Seems like meaningless semantics game. When the subs have to start a game...arent they the starter?
Coach: look #2, you're the starter today
#2: look coach im not the starter im just starting a game.

Odd argument.

Nav22

Reaction score
No analyst would say every QB off the bench in a back up role who started a game due to injuries would be defined as a NFL starting QB.

Now Dak is an exception because he eventually became our starting QB.
LOL, you're right, no analyst would say ALL OF THAT.

But an analyst WOULD say the line that I quoted.

You know I'm right, which is why you couldn't answer my question directly. It's okay to admit it.
:thumbup:

CWR

Reaction score
Not easy to argue there.

It was hard enough watching a dynasty and our stud qb fall apart. Then in comes Babe. Lol it only got worse. Man those were some hard years. The season rolled around and you knew it wasn't going to go well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LOL, you're right, no analyst would say ALL OF THAT.

But an analyst WOULD say the line that I quoted.

You know I'm right, which is why you couldn't answer my question directly. It's okay to admit it.
:thumbup:
Not at all. I’m just trying to establish what the OP was saying . And why most of these responses in this thread aren’t correct.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, on talent gotta be Quincy by a neck over a couple other hapless QBs... LOL...another of genius Jerry's 2nd round draft picks... :facepalm:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Seems like meaningless semantics game. When the subs have to start a game...arent they the starter?
Coach: look #2, you're the starter today
#2: look coach im not the starter im just starting a game.

Odd argument.
No, if backups have to start a game they do not become the starters . Are they starting the game yes, of course . I’m not sure why everyone doesn’t see the difference ?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Henson likely was it but only because the Cowboys brass sold him as having beaten out Tom Brady in college

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Drew Henson was the guy who started over Tom Brady at Michigan.
That says volume about Michigan Coaches , LOL, but if Drew Bledsoe didnt get injured , Brady doesnt start for pats too. ( So Bellicheat got lucky ? )

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Ryan Leaf and Chad hutch ( of recent Jerry‘s Gems )

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I was really just a child when he played, but from all I have read Steve Pelluer (who started the majority of the games from 1986-88) was a dumpster fire.