Who was the worst starting Dallas QB of all time?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I could not stomach the QC years, he is not the worst starting QB for the Cowboys. Be good to know what everyone is considering a "starter". IMO someone that starts a couple of games to fill in for an injured player does not count.
Read the thread. Plenty have offered their criteria, lol.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He started a few games...

But I cant get the Babe Laughenberger(sp) throws out of my head.

I always revert back to the gap between Aikman and Romo and arguing with fans about QB's...Cowboys went through like 10 guys that were awful before landing Romo. This adds to the "cut a bus driver vs going rookie" debate. It took Dallas many years to find a QB.

But...I remember Babe throwing INT after INT and rug burner after rug burner. Glad Jerry helped him out and he has a good job now. QB was not it.
I agree that Babe was horrble. As bad as any Cowboy QB I can remember. But I wouldn't refer to him as a "starting QB", just a backup who got to start a a game or two because of injury

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fans make him out to be a lot worse than he was because of the bad teams we had when he got here under Campo and the way it ended for him because of his drug issues. He did have some good games and led the Cowboys to a 10-6 season and the playoffs. He had a winning QB record, Neither Steve Pelluer or Gary Hogeboom ever led the Cowboys to the playoffs and both had losing QB records.
And Pelluer not just a losing record but pitiful. In 1985 was 1-6 and 1988 3-11.

Hogeboom was awful too. Those last 3 years in Landry history were after Danny White went down and it was just awful , basically costing Tom his job.

Can’t think of any other starters for a considerable amount of time who were worse.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Great thread, but I have to disagree on Quincy. I thought Quincy was very good but inconsistent at times. He had the talent and a rocket of an arm to have been able to become very good. Too bad he couldn't stay off them drugs during his playing years.

For NFL Films to make a 10+ minute Cowboys career highlight reel of Quincy Carter shows they felt the same about Quincy Carter's potential.

His best season was 03, where we saw him throw for 3300 yards, 17 TDs, 21 INTs, and completing 57.8% of his passes...which was also his best completion percentage for Dallas. That year he also ran for 257 yards and 2 TDs at 3.8ypc.

Hutchinson started 9 games in 03, throwing for 1555 yards, 7 TDs, 8 INTs, completing 50.8%, and the offense was god awful, so I'll give him the nod as the worst of the bunch...but not by much.

I liked Carter and really wanted him to succeed, but I would never describe what he showed in the NFL as very good. Maybe if he stayed sober and was given more time To develop he could've turned the corner. He did have the tools. I just don't think his head was ever truly in it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not sure if Anthony Wright’s name has been mentioned but he was awful! He took over for Troy Aikman after he was injured against Washington in December 2000. Wright was given an opportunity and ended up with a. 1-4 record.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Babe, Stoerner and Hutchison are the worst I’ve seen in over 40 seasons. Bruce Coslett‘s infatuation with Hutchison was sickening. Stoerner was incapable of completing a forward pass. And Babe, well, was being Babe…

I’m going to give Dinucci a pass since he never should’ve been forced into action.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what some around here call Dak. Lol, actually I was on the wrong thread. My comment was meant for a Hopkins thread.
Oh...I see. SO maybe now you will be more accommodating and respectful when people politely ask you to clarify?

Probably not the first time ya wrong?

But...I admire admitting a mistake. It's easy to err when not thinking clearly and calmly. Done it myself a few times.

Or so. :)

I'll go check the Hopkins thread and see if you mistaken there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
IMO someone that starts a couple of games to fill in for an injured player does not count.
I agree a backup who subs is not a starter. A QB that’s been given the reins to lead your team that you’re depending on week after week is a starter. That’s your QB.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh...I see. SO maybe now you will be more accommodating and respectful when people politely ask you to clarify?

Probably not the first time ya wrong?

But...I admire admitting a mistake. It's easy to err when not thinking clearly and calmly. Done it myself a few times.

Or so. :)

I'll go check the Hopkins thread and see if you mistaken there.
:thumbup::thumbup:

gtb1943

Reaction score
Hutch, I never saw worse. at least as regards multiple games as a starter

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Carter is only one who was actually named the starting QB.

I think some fans are confused by what “ starting QB” means ??
That's not entirely true Carter was benched and Hutchinson was named the starter. The Cowboys traded for Cassel to be the stop gap starter with Romo injured. If it was day 1 planned starter than sure Carter is the only 1 of the 3 that can say that.

kskboys

Reaction score
That was just a horrible team. Probably worst since our expansion season. Maybe worse . Lol
It was, but Aikman was horrific. Many were wondering if we made a mistake at that point. He wasn't very good his 2nd season either.

kskboys

Reaction score
Just a reminder for those that said Quincy. He did get to the playoffs. :popcorn:

Any QB that gets to the playoffs can't be all that horrible. :popcorn::popcorn:
:muttley:
Absolutely not true.

Dallas had the best D in the NFL that year. We made the playoffs despite Q. He was terrible.

Vince Young made the playoffs. Rex Grossman made a super bowl. Tim Tebow made the playoffs.

I think you might want to rethink that line of thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely not true.

Dallas had the best D in the NFL that year. We made the playoffs despite Q. He was terrible.

Vince Young made the playoffs. Rex Grossman made a super bowl. Tim Tebow made the playoffs.

I think you might want to rethink that line of thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh here we go again…QB can’t win so it’s other factors. …but when they lose it is the QBs fault….
always a double standard….

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's not entirely true Carter was benched and Hutchinson was named the starter. The Cowboys traded for Cassel to be the stop gap starter with Romo injured. If it was day 1 planned starter than sure Carter is the only 1 of the 3 that can say that.
Carter was benched his Rookie for Hutchinson in 2002. Carter became the starter in 2003.

And yes ,I was referring to Day 1 starter. No one who started with Romo out would qualify except Dak who eventually became the starter.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh here we go again…QB can’t win so it’s other factors. …but when they lose it is the QBs fault….
always a double standard….
I think the bigger point KS was making is when you have a top defense it can carry a lesser QB.