Whose to blame on the defense taking a step back this year?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Poor coaching and the players too concerned about everything except football. This whole Hotboyz thing is so annoying. Then what's worse are all the dumb fans on facebook. The Cowboys FB page will post pictures and there will be DLaw and that stupid Hotboyz chain and everyone posts how they love the Hotboyz and so forth. It's nauseating.

agree.

That Hotboyz thing is cringe worthy.

#hate

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Good question but I honestly don't know the answer other than we basically have the same starters from last year yet there's been quite a drop-off. The biggest and most disappointing at LBer......which begs the question. Are we ask them to something different from last season?

we’ve been playing that 1 gap defense for years. 2013?

BBDB

reddyuta

Reaction score
poor drafting at DL in recent years,you cant miss on all the DL and hope to compete at the top level,

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Poor coaching and the players too concerned about everything except football. This whole Hotboyz thing is so annoying. Then what's worse are all the dumb fans on facebook. The Cowboys FB page will post pictures and there will be DLaw and that stupid Hotboyz chain and everyone posts how they love the Hotboyz and so forth. It's nauseating.
Had you never made this post, I would have never known about it......Now I'm annoyed!

Haimerej

Reaction score
KRichard is for real. Our best hope next season.

Legion of Boom don’t play BBDB defense

You keep saying that. You don't even know what they played. Fact is they played the same system DAL uses, they're just obviously less talented. They played Cover 3 and Cover 1 (which is what DAL plays). There's a reason your boy Richard said after picking up Bennett, "He's familiar with this scheme."

visionary

Reaction score
I’m not sure but I know who is not responsible

Jason Garrett

this guy has absolutely no input on offense or defense or STs

He’s only the HC
He’s clearly not responsible

now, if you have a problem with how he claps or spits or says “how we doing’ guys” with the moronic smile and crazy eyes then, OK, you got him

but otherwise he’s not responsible for anything

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The front office pretty much kept the defense in tact for this season, outside of the addition of Robert Quinn.They did lose a quality player in Crawford, but in essence the same personnel for this unit.

Whose to blame for the unit's regression this year:

-Coaching Staff
-Scheme
-Players
-Offense

We can point to all the above. However, in my opinion, the offense sticks out to me. Zeke Elliot was drafted to not only help the offense, but the defense as well. The team's philosophy was a dominate ground rushing attack, that would control the clock, grind out first downs, wear their opponents out and most importantly keep their defense fresh! The team is currently 19th in the league in time of possession, they were 3rd in Zeke's rookie year, in which they earned the #1 seed in the playoffs. The defense has always been a problem spot of this team in recent years, perhaps a very overrated group.

The keys to success to pretty simple, return to their run first philosophy. I don't want to hear about teams loading the box, they have been doing that since Zeke arrived. Be successful on the ground, the defense will start to look so much better and success to far more attainable!

Some of what you said has some truth but you forgot or left somethings out. First this line is not the same line from 2016 and have proven that even when healthy all year. Second I think a big part of the problems the defense is having is this season the defense has two heads instead of the usual one. Marinelli is the DC but now Richard is passing coordinator and calls the defense on passing plays. It seems to me that the defense did better with just one head than now with two. I son't care if they make Marinelli just the line coach and Richards the DC or just make Marinelli the DC but get it back to one head is calling things.

Techsass

Reaction score
Maybe Crawford did more than most realized. The shift from Rod to Kris calling the plays may also play a role, but Dallas & Seattle both run the same defense.

kskboys

Reaction score
We can't even stop a practice squad RB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
1. Marinelli - his schemes are outdated and his adjustments are nonexistent.

2. Whoever is in charge of self-scouting (offense and defense), this team is way too predictable.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
All on the front office and staff IMO. They were exposed by the colts and rams last year. Everyone in the universe knew our tackles weren’t good enough and our scheme needed updated. We had an entire offseason to fix these two things and chose to do neither. Hence the product on the field

Number1

Reaction score
The front office pretty much kept the defense in tact for this season, outside of the addition of Robert Quinn.They did lose a quality player in Crawford, but in essence the same personnel for this unit.

not really, but they did attempt to upgrade the DTs with Hill and Covington,
and I'd say Bennett helps.

but note, Taco nor Tyrone nor Randy would have given up the edge as easily as what we witnessed last week.
and weirdo storylines like Randy, Irving, and Taco are getting very old

Whose to blame for the unit's regression this year:

-Coaching Staff
-Scheme
-Players
-Offense

nope, JJ ... the front office ... where's the playmaking DT and S playmaking needed so bad going into the offseason?

kskboys

Reaction score
not really, but they did attempt to upgrade the DTs with Hill and Covington,
and I'd say Bennett helps.

but note, Taco nor Tyrone nor Randy would have given up the edge as easily as what we witnessed last week.
and weirdo storylines like Randy, Irving, and Taco are getting very old

nope, JJ ... the front office ... where's the playmaking DT and S playmaking needed so bad going into the offseason?
Weak attempt. A backup type and an overdrafted project.