Whose to blame on the defense taking a step back this year?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
simple, not the coaches.

its the fans, they believed the hype, they rode the PR machine and bought it hook line and sinker. this is part of the DC culture now. go forward, go back, go forward go back. our new trend is trading draft picks *whcih never works* for rentals. Cool beans, we lsoe the pick, dont advance in the season, and get nothing but headache in return. Win win if you love mediocrity.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Since the defensive personal is better than the results, the only logic conclusion is coaching.

I think KR has done a good job of stabilizing the pass D.

I think the 4-2-5 scheme is his idea too.

we would see more blitz /overloads if KR was the DC.

take a look at his 3 yr stint as dc for the SHawks. Low scoring defenses.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Dallas needs a big banner in the stadium. ...”home of the bend but don’t take”
This d really doesn’t seem to bother FO at all....I don’t get it.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The front office pretty much kept the defense in tact for this season, outside of the addition of Robert Quinn.They did lose a quality player in Crawford, but in essence the same personnel for this unit.

Whose to blame for the unit's regression this year:

-Coaching Staff
-Scheme
-Players
-Offense

We can point to all the above. However, in my opinion, the offense sticks out to me. Zeke Elliot was drafted to not only help the offense, but the defense as well. The team's philosophy was a dominate ground rushing attack, that would control the clock, grind out first downs, wear their opponents out and most importantly keep their defense fresh! The team is currently 19th in the league in time of possession, they were 3rd in Zeke's rookie year, in which they earned the #1 seed in the playoffs. The defense has always been a problem spot of this team in recent years, perhaps a very overrated group.

The keys to success to pretty simple, return to their run first philosophy. I don't want to hear about teams loading the box, they have been doing that since Zeke arrived. Be successful on the ground, the defense will start to look so much better and success to far more attainable!
I'ma blame Conner Williams just to make @xwalker mad. We can't control time of possession just because of him. So Conner Williams is what's wrong with our defense. :muttley:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Rod has control, and the run D is a mess.

also, he loves the stupid rotation, which leaves our best players on the bench.

either fire Rod or KR. The defense is a mess. We need one person in charge.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Based on what? Pete Carroll’s defense?

a lot of people are happy with the mediocrity. i can see if KR was making a difference, getting CBs heads turned, getting most out of players, but ignoring JL while running with the same crop over and over and not getting INTS or something is mind boggling.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Coaching staff

I think we have a mish-mosh of schemes and philosophies and three levels of defense coached by three different guys to do three different things.

Defensive line coach teaches one thing - an antiquated, outdated, up-the-filed-no-matter-what scheme that leaves everything else vulnerable. And one that doesn't like blitzes -even against overmatched quarterbacks - but loves slants and stunts that get you gashed.

Linebackers coach that doesn't have his charges properly communicating with their line counterparts and blowing gap responsibility far too often.

A secondary coach that's supposedly calling the defense where everyone has different priorities.

A recipe for disaster if you ask me.

agree.

rod should have been fired for the Rams disaster.

he basically skated on that loss.

they should fire Rod, or let him retire, and promote KR as DC.

we'd see the end of the stupid BBDB scheme Rod loves so much.

ask Manning about KR.

that Super Bowl was a clinic.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
a lot of people are happy with the mediocrity. i can see if KR was making a difference, getting CBs heads turned, getting most out of players, but ignoring JL while running with the same crop over and over and not getting INTS or something is mind boggling.

the problem is...Rod. He’s the DC. KR is not the DC.

I’m not going to blame a secondary coach for the problems with the DL and the scheme.

especially a coach who was responsible for the creation of the Legion of Boom defense.

cmoney23

Reaction score
To me, it's the LBs. Last year they were perfect. They're not this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
agree.

rod should have been fired for the Rams disaster.

he basically skated on that loss.

they should fire Rod, or let him retire, and promote KR as DC.

we'd see the end of the stupid BBDB scheme Rod loves so much.

ask Manning about KR.

that Super Bowl was a clinic.

Maybe then we'll actually get some beefy defensive tackles like the teams that regularly stuff our running game do?

I know the Seahawks weren't averse to size while Richard was there.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

"Kris Richard is an American football coach and former player. Richard was instrumental to the formation of the Legion of Boom defensive secondary. He helped coach and develop players such as Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Brandon Browner, Byron Maxwell and for his rookie season only, Shaquill Griffin."

Legion of Boom don't play BBDB.

Haimerej

Reaction score
"Kris Richard is an American football coach and former player. Richard was instrumental to the formation of the Legion of Boom defensive secondary. He helped coach and develop players such as Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Brandon Browner, Byron Maxwell and for his rookie season only, Shaquill Griffin."

Legion of Boom don't play BBDB.

Notice how that doesn't say anything about their style of play? My guess is you didn't.

Aven8

Reaction score
I go LB’s and DB’s. Jaylon and Leighton don’t even look the same, and Awuzi has regressed as well. Weird as they are young.