Whose to blame on the defense taking a step back this year?

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
The FO, they didn't see the signs late in the season and playoffs. Didn't try to improve the interior of the D-line or safety position/positions

cheyennes

Reaction score
Some times we had today Covington Hyder Amstrong, we dont have a real dl

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You keep saying that. You don't even know what they played. Fact is they played the same system DAL uses, they're just obviously less talented. They played Cover 3 and Cover 1 (which is what DAL plays). There's a reason your boy Richard said after picking up Bennett, "He's familiar with this scheme."

No, the schemes are similar but have many differences.

The base Legion of Boom coverage was a Hybrid Cover 3 where the outside CBs played basic cover 3 (zone defense) if the WR made an inside move; however, if the WR made an outside move the outside CBs played Man. Either way the outside CBs were covering the sideline area which made the field more narrow for the FS.

The outside CBs played a Kick-Step press technique with inside leverage. The were basically stationary at the snap forcing the WR to decide immediately if he was going inside or outside of the CB.

The Seattle front 7 didn't play exactly like Marinelli's defense either. Marinelli stunts way more than Seattle did, but Seattle blitzed more than Marinelli.

Big D

Reaction score
The FO, they didn't see the signs late in the season and playoffs. Didn't try to improve the interior of the D-line or safety position/positions
This. We saw our DT's fold vs the rams and that was really all that needed to be upgraded. We passed on a few very good DT's in FA and went with a rookie who we all know won't be ready for 3-4 seasons. Sometimes you have to spend $$ in FA wisely and a prime DT would've done the trick. You can't realistically expect a rookie taken in any round to come in and give us what we need at that position immediately. If I know this, they should.

Haimerej

Reaction score
No, the schemes are similar but have many differences.

The base Legion of Boom coverage was a Hybrid Cover 3 where the outside CBs played basic cover 3 (zone defense) if the WR made an inside move; however, if the WR made an outside move the outside CBs played Man. Either way the outside CBs were covering the sideline area which made the field more narrow for the FS.

The outside CBs played a Kick-Step press technique with inside leverage. The were basically stationary at the snap forcing the WR to decide immediately if he was going inside or outside of the CB.

The Seattle front 7 didn't play exactly like Marinelli's defense either. Marinelli stunts way more than Seattle did, but Seattle blitzed more than Marinelli.

They're thematically the same scheme. Playcalling within the scheme may be different, but they operate off the same principles. I was also addressing Duncan's idea that Carroll's defenses didn't play, "BBDB," as he puts it.

"Among the reasons bandied about is that Richard might have been calling the game more aggressively than Carroll prefers. Carroll’s scheme is based on not getting beat deep, keeping passes in front of the secondary and forcing teams to have to go the long way to march for touchdowns with the idea being that the more plays it takes, the more likely the opposing offense is to mess things up"

That article also said SEA is historically low on blitzing. As I recall, Bennett had success as an interior rusher in part due to their stunt games. There have been multiple comparisons of Marinelli's scheme while in DAL to what Carroll has been doing in SEA.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
They're thematically the same scheme. Playcalling within the scheme may be different, but they operate off the same principles. I was also addressing Duncan's idea that Carroll's defenses didn't play, "BBDB," as he puts it.

"Among the reasons bandied about is that Richard might have been calling the game more aggressively than Carroll prefers. Carroll’s scheme is based on not getting beat deep, keeping passes in front of the secondary and forcing teams to have to go the long way to march for touchdowns with the idea being that the more plays it takes, the more likely the opposing offense is to mess things up"

That article also said SEA is historically low on blitzing. As I recall, Bennett had success as an interior rusher in part due to their stunt games. There have been multiple comparisons of Marinelli's scheme while in DAL to what Carroll has been doing in SEA.
doesn't surprise me, read an article where they wanted to emulate Seattle D. Can't remember if was Jerry, Steven or even Rod but that was the plan at one time.

jnday

Reaction score
Marinelli.
Correct. Marinelli has been the problem for years now. The DL, which is his specialty, has been an ongoing problem since he took over. His stubbornness in refusing to get a decent 1-Tech is a big problem every year.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Last year was unusual for a defense during Garrett’s tenure. Most of his defenses have been like this one—very little play-making, rarely gives its offense extra opportunities, no turnovers. They pretty much just exist.

Alohawg1

Reaction score
Since the defensive personal is better than the results, the only logic conclusion is coaching.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The front office pretty much kept the defense in tact for this season, outside of the addition of Robert Quinn.They did lose a quality player in Crawford, but in essence the same personnel for this unit.

Whose to blame for the unit's regression this year:

-Coaching Staff
-Scheme
-Players
-Offense

We can point to all the above. However, in my opinion, the offense sticks out to me. Zeke Elliot was drafted to not only help the offense, but the defense as well. The team's philosophy was a dominate ground rushing attack, that would control the clock, grind out first downs, wear their opponents out and most importantly keep their defense fresh! The team is currently 19th in the league in time of possession, they were 3rd in Zeke's rookie year, in which they earned the #1 seed in the playoffs. The defense has always been a problem spot of this team in recent years, perhaps a very overrated group.

The keys to success to pretty simple, return to their run first philosophy. I don't want to hear about teams loading the box, they have been doing that since Zeke arrived. Be successful on the ground, the defense will start to look so much better and success to far more attainable!

Coaching staff

I think we have a mish-mosh of schemes and philosophies and three levels of defense coached by three different guys to do three different things.

Defensive line coach teaches one thing - an antiquated, outdated, up-the-filed-no-matter-what scheme that leaves everything else vulnerable. And one that doesn't like blitzes -even against overmatched quarterbacks - but loves slants and stunts that get you gashed.

Linebackers coach that doesn't have his charges properly communicating with their line counterparts and blowing gap responsibility far too often.

A secondary coach that's supposedly calling the defense where everyone has different priorities.

A recipe for disaster if you ask me.

kskboys

Reaction score
doesn't surprise me, read an article where they wanted to emulate Seattle D. Can't remember if was Jerry, Steven or even Rod but that was the plan at one time.
So, why haven't we even tried to get a Brandon Mebane type? Where's Red Bryant and Clinton McDonald and Tony McDaniel? When SEA won the super bowl, a very deep and talented DLine rotation, w/ a NT and disruptive DTs, was a primary reason.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
So, why haven't we even tried to get a Brandon Mebane type? Where's Red Bryant and Clinton McDonald and Tony McDaniel? When SEA won the super bowl, a very deep and talented DLine rotation, w/ a NT and disruptive DTs, was a primary reason.
Jerry or Jason's faith in Marrinelli as a D-line guru is misplaced. They are trying to go cheap on the D, basically because they have so much invested in the O. Jerry and maybe Jason still believe they won the Super bowls in 90's only because of the triplets. just my opinion.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
You keep saying that. You don't even know what they played. Fact is they played the same system DAL uses, they're just obviously less talented. They played Cover 3 and Cover 1 (which is what DAL plays). There's a reason your boy Richard said after picking up Bennett, "He's familiar with this scheme."

take a look at the SHawks defensive rankings.

take a look at Marinelli.

legion of boom don’t play BBDB.