Reaction score
The drafting hasnt been as good as this site likes to believe

2015 draft looks like a disaster right now

Sydla

Reaction score
The drafting hasnt been as good as this site likes to believe

2015 draft looks like a disaster right now

What he said.

And despite homers suggesting they are following a plan, I don't think the Jones' actually have a plan. They fly by the seat of their pants and what their whims (and the last season) tell them they need.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
You don't think Stephen has gone head to head with his father? At the end of the day, Jerry owns the Cowboys. Not Stephen.

So you can only name two bad contracts? Even though Dez was market value?

no he hasnt. Im only naming two because if i name others you ll sit there and nitpick. I wasnt a fan of keeping Dez over Murray. Im not a fan of letting Leary walk. Not a fan of other ways hes handled contracts and whatever his job is. Ps Parcells started this, and i wasnt the biggest fan of parcells by the time he came here. Everyone can see hes just waiting til he gets it not earn it. Now tell me all the awesome Stephen has done.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/09/28/Franchises/Jones-Parcells.aspx

Sydla

Reaction score
no he hasnt. Im only naming two because if i name others you ll sit there and nitpick. I wasnt a fan of keeping Dez over Murray. Im not a fan of letting Leary walk. Not a fan of other ways hes handled contracts and whatever his job is. Ps Parcells started this, and i wasnt the biggest fan of parcells by the time he came here. Everyone can see hes just waiting til he gets it not earn it. Now tell me all the awesome Stephen has done.

Murray wasn't worth it either. There was nothing wrong in letting him walk.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Murray wasn't worth it either. There was nothing wrong in letting him walk.

yes there was, because even if we didnt keep him long, we arent using Zeke to his full potential. So its been a wreck in that regard because now we wasted a 1st round pick on a guy we dont utilize correctly. Had we kept Murray chances are we could have gotten just as good RB at a cheaper price and not waste resources like the 4th pick in the draft. That could have gone to other holes we have.

I wanted the rb the Eagles got. look how well that move was.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No but actual good players would be nice when your waxing poetic about our draft acumen.

I mean, c'mon. You even included Charles Tapper in that.

I put Tappper because everyone here loved the player and as of now he hasn't proven that he can't play.

But are you suggesting they haven't found any good players? You aren't going to find perennial All Pro's in those rounds. And if you do it was luck. But find a solid rotational guy or a starter? That's pretty big and the Cowboys have done that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
yes there was, because even if we didnt keep him long, we arent using Zeke to his full potential. So its been a wreck in that regard because now we wasted a 1st round pick on a guy we dont utilize correctly. Had we kept Murray chances are we could have gotten just as good RB at a cheaper price and not waste resources like the 4th pick in the draft. That could have gone to other holes we have.

Murray wasn't cheap though.

Sydla

Reaction score
Read the thread.

I did.

I found no one who said that having extra picks is bad.

What I did find was a bunch of people saying the Cowboys and some fans are way too worked up over a few extra mid to late round picks. Surely, you see the difference, right?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Murray wasn't cheap though.

who said. If we let Dez walk, Murray is cheaper and easier to keep. I was ok with letting Dez walk because i wanted this team to go smash mouth football and let the O line do the work and a rb by committee to chew up the defense. We dont need 1 steller RB that we wont use correctly. An Ajayi would have filled the role with Morris and Smith, or another cheap alternative. Compared to paying Dez and not winning a playoff game, i think my way puts more resources on our team.

Sydla

Reaction score

OK so we don't use the 4th pick on a TB but then are carrying an aging TB with a big contract. How's that better?

We get it, you were a big Murray guy and are still disappointed we didn't bring him back.

ghst187

Reaction score
Based on our history of drafting, we seem to be better off using the extra picks to move up and focus on UDFAs. Think we've found more players in the UDFA pile than we have late round picks.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
OK so we don't use the 4th pick on a TB but then are carrying an aging TB with a big contract. How's that better?

We get it, you were a big Murray guy and are still a bit butt hurt we didn't bring him back.

it could have gone either way. Im just saying keeping Murray for another year or two vs keeping Dez has been the better answer compared to the two. This would have led us to being forced to bring in another viable RB and not having to watch the Dez debacle, who i dont fully blame on Dez, but i do not like Stephen for giving him that contract. At the very least, trade in Dez *not actual trade* and had to slightly less talented but better WRs, at the very worst.

We had a 50 50 chance but 100 percent chance to screw it up. THats been our way for a long time now.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Based on our history of drafting, we seem to be better off using the extra picks to move up and focus on UDFAs. Think we've found more players in the UDFA pile than we have late round picks.

im not against getting fewer but better players in the draft. I think we need to look at the undrafted and FA more this off season, and get some stellar talent and be done with the draft this year.