Why Adding Four Compensatory Picks Is “Big Deal” For Cowboys’ Draft Plans

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
instead of paying Dez, you offer a better contract, not that much higher, but we were told, if we let Dez walk, getting Murray is easier, if we let Murray walk more money for Dez. Ok fine, well Dez has not been worth it and the Cowboys were set up more for the run than the pass at the time. I like Romo but we knew we were going to have issues. The problem was again, the Dez? murray sets up your team, and we said "well running is working, so lets muck it up" and now we know we cant survive on Dez alone.

That's a myth that someone "told" you. The Cowboys didn't chose Dez over Murray. They could've re-signed both.

You are living in a revised history. You hate the contract now. Fair enough. Dez was a top 5 receiver at the time and we were a Dez injury or release away from having Romo's best option at receiver he Jason Witten and Terrance Williams. Also you have to remember this team knew Romo didn't have much time left. They were trying take advantage of his prime years and they went cheaper at running back.

Sydla

Reaction score
yes, RBs no longer have a longer shelf life. Mainly the reason Demarco walked, but if we had someone who can negoiate a good contract with incentives, or talking with Demarco that at the time and with him we are more primed to win than the Eagles at the time, does he walk? We dont know, but what we do know is that with a RB, we win better than with said WR alone. Wr's can barely do it alone, but we know what we can do with 1 good RB. If we utilize it correctly.

Which way does Demarco goes, who knows, but i would have made a better effort than Dallas did.

Holy hell.

Yes, DeMarco walks if he finds a better deal with more money than a one or two year deal one with "incentives" that you are claiming Dallas could have given him.

Stop. Please.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
im not doing this after the fact, i have clearly stated, this is what i want at the time. at the time of that point in history, im going with Demarco over Dez.

Yeah but that thinking was stupid at the time lol. It would've been moronic.

It doesn't look as bad after the fact but giving Murray a new abig deal would've really hurt this organization.

Sydla

Reaction score
im not doing this after the fact, i have clearly stated, this is what i want at the time. at the time of that point in history, im going with Demarco over Dez.

And the results largely would not have been much different. Frankly, I am not sure the Cowboys go 13-3 in 2016 with Murray and no Dez compared to Elliott and Dez.

So I ain't buying what you are trying to sell us.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Yeah but that thinking was stupid at the time lol. It would've been moronic.

It doesn't look as bad after the fact but giving Murray a new abig deal would've really hurt this organization.

how so?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based on our history of drafting, we seem to be better off using the extra picks to move up and focus on UDFAs. Think we've found more players in the UDFA pile than we have late round picks.

I'd rather go the quality over quantity route. I remember the last time we used a whole bunch of draft picks, the results weren't too great.

If we used 10 picks to trade up and get 4 very good players, I'd be happy. And I think the team would be better off.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
And the results largely would not have been much different. Frankly, I am not sure the Cowboys go 13-3 in 2016 with Murray and no Dez compared to Elliott and Dez.

So I ain't buying what you are trying to sell us.

sure if the want to play "whatever you say im against it" of course it wont work, but you cant deny Dallas was better with the run. you cant deny we won with Murray on the team and no way can you deny we ve done better if we go with Dez alone." so if you keep the facts out, yes your argument makes more sense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because people are acting like these comp picks are the fruits of sound, smart decision making by the Cowboys.

They aren't. They are the fruits of the Cowboys completely eschewing free agency in their misguided plan on how to use FA to make the team better, which in fact, they did not in 2017.

It's not that I don't value extra picks. But I see them for what they are........ mid to late round picks where the hit rate is extremely low and the only reason we have those picks is because we made questionable decisions with free agents.

Ok I didn't see anyone saying getting these were sound decisions by the Cowboys.....where are those posts at?

And what questionable moves? Are you saying not being active in free agency or letting guys walk?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I'd rather go the quality over quantity route. I remember the last time we used a whole bunch of draft picks, the results weren't too great.

If we used 10 picks to trade up and get 4 very good players, I'd be happy. And I think the team would be better off.

Quality yes, i also want to get that ball hawking safety and fix some problems with better talent.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
yes, RBs no longer have a longer shelf life. Mainly the reason Demarco walked, but if we had someone who can negoiate a good contract with incentives, or talking with Demarco that at the time and with him we are more primed to win than the Eagles at the time, does he walk? We dont know, but what we do know is that with a RB, we win better than with said WR alone. Wr's can barely do it alone, but we know what we can do with 1 good RB. If we utilize it correctly.

Which way does Demarco goes, who knows, but i would have made a better effort than Dallas did.
Negotiate a good contract? You mean if Demarco was a idiot lol? Why on earth would he take less than what the Eagirls offered? I can't tell if you are serious with this. Are you really rueing over the loss of Demarco? You act as if he's Barry Sanders. He's a solid running back in this league who's only played well or decent behind a good offensive line.

Sydla

Reaction score
sure if the want to play "whatever you say im against it" of course it wont work, but you cant deny Dallas was better with the run. you cant deny we won with Murray on the team and no way can you deny we ve done better if we go with Dez alone." so if you keep the facts out, yes your argument makes more sense.

The Cowboys were better when they ran the ball and didn't whip it around the field all the time. No one denies that.

Cowboys went 13-3 in 2016 with Bryant and no Murray. They just went out and found a different, better, TB.

Guess what? The Cowboys don't go 12-4 in 2014 with just Murray and no Dez bringing down 16 TDs.

It's not surprising you keep ignoring that simple fact.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Really? How many games has he "played" in two years?

Ok. Fair. Take him off the list. Still doesn't change the fact this team has found solid talent after the 4th round and has found starters. You guys are harping on Tapper but everyone sure loved him and his measurables in the draft.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ok I didn't see anyone saying getting these were sound decisions by the Cowboys.....where are those posts at?

And what questionable moves? Are you saying not being active in free agency or letting guys walk?

You don't recall the threads here talking about how this is the plan of the Cowboys? Eschew FA to accumulate multiple comp picks, blah blah blah.

Sydla

Reaction score

Oh and to poke a hole in your whole contract talk.

The Cowboys did make him an offer which would have averaged around $5MM a year. He chose to take the higher contract from Philly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok. Fair. Take him off the list. Still doesn't change the fact this team has found solid talent after the 4th round and has found starters. You guys are harping on Tapper but everyone sure loved him and his measurables in the draft.

"Everyone" sure loved Matt Johnson's measurables back then too. And they were wrong then as well.

I'm fine with "taking him off the list" as you said. Not writing him off, but not penciling him in either. He's a blank space until proven otherwise.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Because at the time you invested 3 1st round picks on offensive linemen. You had no receivers. You believe "anyone can run behind this line". You also believed that Murray had so much wear and tear on his body that he wouldn't be in the league to see that contract end. A rookie back was going to give you his prime years for 4 years at a cheap rate.

No one thought Murray was worth being the highest paid back in the league. Dez at the time arguably could've gotten that.