Why are Gurley/Fournette considered better than Elliott?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Wow, really a good thread. Some very enjoyable football talk.

As for the subject... I don't see how either Gurley (who I liked a lot coming out) nor Fournette (who I'm not crazy about) are better than Elliott. Gurley is maybe faster but that is about all he has over Ezekiel. Fournette is just a whole lot of media hype along with some talent, IMO. He's good but not what people make him out to be, I don't think.

Personally, I put so much emphasis on football intelligence, vision, balance, and great run instincts that it isn't surprising that I think Elliott is going to be so good. To me, he surpasses Gurley in all of those categories. That is why I like Zeke so much. Those aspects are a huge part of what made Emmitt so great and I put more weight on those traits than most people do, I think. To be a good to great NFL RB, you need those things in some measure.

Elliott's mental makeup, heart and instincts are so superior to Gurley's that it more than makes up for a few pounds and a few hundredths of a second.

I haven't seen a RB that was so brimming with the right intangibles, natural run instincts, and a "you can't stop me" alpha dog attitude in I don't know how long.

I try to keep my optimism about Ezekiel in check... but there isn't much I don't absolutely love about the guy. It is difficult.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I hope Elliot can be as good or better than Gurley. it's hard watching college film and projecting on what he can do at the next level. I watched Zeke in the Oregon game and he had some nice runs, some not so nice runs, som good blocks, and some not so good blocks. Saw him carry a linebacker for 2-3 yards but then saw him taken down by a college safety.

If he produces the same as Gurley then it should be considered a win!

VACowboy

Reaction score
...he had some nice runs, some not so nice runs, som good blocks, and some not so good blocks. Saw him carry a linebacker for 2-3 yards but then saw him taken down by a college safety.!

I can say the same about any RB I've ever seen play.

What I can't say about any other RB I've ever heard of is that he went through an entire season, college or pro, without whiffing on a blitz pickup. Not one. And I think that says a lot more about Zeke than just his ability as a blocker is off the charts. He's not a FB so I wouldn't expect him to be the perfectly devastating run blocker, but he's better and gives more effort than any tailback I've ever seen. And for a running back, that is what blocking is all about--the willingness to get the job done, the desire to do the little things that help your team win but bring little attention and zero glory. And like AsthmaField, to me, that is what makes Zeke great. But he's not just an effort guy. He may not be quite as fast or powerful as a couple of backs in the league, but he's faster than a bunch of them and more powerful than most, with better vision than any active player I can think of and miles better quickness than any back anywhere near his size. Other than McCoy and maybe Peterson, I don't think there's a RB in the league that cuts better in the hole than Elliot. He sees running lanes and accelerates through them better than any back I can think of coming out of college.

I'm with Asthma on the importance of vision and balance vs. speed. Doug Martin was second in the league in rushing yards last year to Peterson. AD averaged 4.5 per. Martin? He led the league at 4.9. Martin also led the league in 20+ yard runs with 14. Peterson had 10 and Gurley had 11. The interesting thing to me is that Martin ran a 4.55 at the combine. Compare that to Peterson: 4.4, McCoy: 4.45, Elliot: 4.47. (Gurley didn't run.) What does the 40 really say about running backs?

I think (productivity-wise, Zeke has as much potential to be the next Adrian Peterson as any back to come into the league since Adrian Peterson, and while I don't know what the future holds for Elliot's career any more than anyone else, I'm sure pumped to watch it happen.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Todd Gurley - 21 yrs of age, 6'1" @ 227 lbs. 40 yard dash not known.
Leonard Fournette - 21 yrs of age, 6'1" @ 230 lbs. 40 yard dash apparently 4.35 seconds.
Ezekiel Elliott - 20 yrs of age, 6'0" @ 225 lbs. 40 yard dash apparently 4.47 seconds.

Fournette's outline speed without pads is incredible at his size, no doubt. Gurley's is certainly noticeable as well. But if you watch with a football in hand and pads on, they are not much faster and certainly not as agile as Elliott. All 3 of these guys can make you miss and they get yards after contact similarly.

Elliott has much better hands and has more refined blocking than the other 2 backs. That's not even questionable.

All 3 are immensely talented and can be considered once in a generation backs. At this point, I do not believe it is fair to say that either Gurley or Fournette are better RB's than Elliott. Gurley has played an amazing rookie season, so he has that on both the other backs. But it's almost certain that Zeke just as much, if not more, has a productive rookie season on the horizon. Injury aside of course.

There has not been 3 backs to come out like this around the same time since possibly Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders. McCaffrey is also one to watch out of Stanford.

I think with all the focus on becoming a passing league, there is now a wrinkle coming to fruition at running the ball and RB's are becoming increasingly important to today's game. Therefore the college game is developing some serious talent. So, we're potentially seeing an influx of new age great backs.

The last 2 drafts have showcased 2 top 10 picks at the position and Fournette should be the 3rd in a row. Don't close your eyes on the possibility of McCaffrey entering as a top 10 pick as well.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Leonard Fournette - 21 yrs of age, 6'1" @ 230 lbs. 40 yard dash apparently 4.35 seconds.

I know it is being reported that Fournette has run a 4.35, so this isn't aimed at you.. but I will be shocked if he runs that at the combine. I'd bet that he doesn't run more than a 4.45 if he is being legit timed.

That still is very fast for a guy his size but no way am I believing a 4.35. I would think his 3 cone and short shuttle times would be average or below as well.

I've been wrong before but I just don't see that much amazing with Fournette. I haven't watched him a ton either though, so maybe I'm just missing something.

Just like Ohio State timed Braxton Miller at 4.35 in the 40 and he ended up being a 4.50 guy at the combine. Colleges are never accurate on that stuff.

Elliott running a 4.47 at the combine at 225 is pretty damn amazing.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I know it is being reported that Fournette has run a 4.35, so this isn't aimed at you.. but I will be shocked if he runs that at the combine. I'd bet that he doesn't run more than a 4.45 if he is being legit timed.

That still is very fast for a guy his size but no way am I believing a 4.35. I would think his 3 cone and short shuttle times would be average or below as well.

I've been wrong before but I just don't see that much amazing with Fournette. I haven't watched him a ton either though, so maybe I'm just missing something.

Just like Ohio State timed Braxton Miller at 4.35 in the 40 and he ended up being a 4.50 guy at the combine. Colleges are never accurate on that stuff.

Elliott running a 4.47 at the combine at 225 is pretty damn amazing.

Yes, when I saw 4.35 I was amazed/skeptical but it is what's reported. Zeke is definitely more shifty and agile.

You are right, o run a 4.47 at 225 lbs is something. But when the pads are on that straight line speed looks similar. Fournette is actually 6 months older than Zeke, who was considered the best RB in football last year, while Fournette was playing.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Time will tell. They all look good to me.

I will say this; I'm pretty sure those doubting Fournette are going to be surprised long term

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think they are better athletes than Elliot but I think Elliot has better Runningback instincts than they have.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Zeke is just as good a runner but not as much power imo.

I disagree.

Zeke main thing is that he is a grinder and a power back. He's hard to tackle. He's not going to juke anyone out of their shoes but he'll run them over.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All three should log multiple 1,400 seasons as pros

1,600 yard seasons are definitely within eachs grasp

Beyond that alot has to do with situation which is where Elliott could be veiwed as better. He is a much more talented back then Murray who had logged a 1,800 yard season here .

I think Elliott's pro output potential is better then both Fornette and Gurleys

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
I disagree.

Zeke main thing is that he is a grinder and a power back. He's hard to tackle. He's not going to juke anyone out of their shoes but he'll run them over.
He doesn't have Fournette power. He's more elusive than Fournette. Elliot isn't going to be running many guys over in the NFL. He's got excellent stop start quickness and he runs with good body lean and balance. He's not just a grinder, he can create on his own bc he is elusive.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He doesn't have Fournette power. He's more elusive than Fournette. Elliot isn't going to be running many guys over in the NFL. He's got excellent stop start quickness and he runs with good body lean and balance. He's not just a grinder, he can create on his own bc he is elusive.

Ok well we'll have to disagree on that.

Elliot is a 6 foot 230 pound back that throws off arm tacklers while weaving through traffic. That is how I see him.

He's not going to be beast mode by any means but he's going to break a ton of tackles.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Ok well we'll have to disagree on that.

Elliot is a 6 foot 230 pound back that throws off arm tacklers while weaving through traffic. That is how I see him.

He's not going to be beast mode by any means but he's going to break a ton of tackles.
This is where he reminds me of Emmitt. He is able to bounce or slide off of would be tacklers. They rarely are able to hit him squarely. That is better than running people over. The RBs that run people over are shortening their career.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Derrick Henry is a beast too. Wonder who will have the best season: Gurley, Henry, Or Elliot?
Henry shares time w Murray but he should get more than 10-12 carries a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.