CFZ Why are people getting giddy about Trey Lance?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I’m confused….if he wasn’t a bust and they didn’t understand what they had….is he not a bust? I mean I wouldn’t call him a bust I was just listing a guy who went from pedestrian to HOF once leaving.
I don't think Brees was a bust or even pedestrian in SD, at least talent wise. He tore his rotator cuff, which at the time was a very serious injury that many thought was difficult to overcome, and they had Rivers in the wings.

I was screaming at Jerry to get Brees while he was available.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have seen several say this ... saying other teams said he is a failed pick...
However I have not seen any team or analysts say this at all. All I seen was they think it is a great landing spot for him to show what he can do.

I think it is only the disgruntled fans on here saying that IMO. Based only on what I have and have not seen or heard yet.
Do you think he didn't show the 49ers what he can do? Was he hiding it from them for some reason?

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Do you think he didn't show the 49ers what he can do? Was he hiding it from them for some reason?
He was injured a lot. There’s some reports that said he was much better than Darnold throughout camp, but that Shanahan was infatuated with Sam. Could easily envision a scenario where they don’t want him around if Purdue goes through a lull. Certainly not encouraging and no way to tell for sure.

Pro-
He was their starter last season
He was a high draft pick
He’s played very little primarily due to injury

Con-
He’s played very little primarily due to injury
He was let go for much less than the original investment
He’s not looked great in his limited time

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He has one full season in hi entire football career. What's there to hold back?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm not sure that Shanahan has a great eye for talent - he's better at getting a lot out of what he has.

Otherwise, yea. This is a late-round flyer on a talented guy. Nothing more, nothing less.
Lance can serve a certain purpose here while never becoming the starting QB for the team.

He can potentially add a dimension to the offense, maybe light the smallest of fires under Dak, maybe offer slightly more leverage with Daks next contract instead of having NO backup plan per usual….maybe provide a reason to watch if this season unfortunately heads by way of 2020.

He is all of 23 years old and was always a project who SF determined they didn’t have time to develop within their current window.

Can’t say I was a Lance fan coming out of NDST, but the risk/reward for Dallas here isn’t a question. A fourth rounder can be recouped with a very small trade down early in the draft.

Flamma

Reaction score
Let's hit the breaks a bit here and look at some facts.

What did the 49ers trade to get Trey Lance in the 2021 draft?

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Lance lost the backup spot in San Fran to the great Sam Darnold.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
I don't know. Maybe because Cowboys fans are mentally challenged. Right now Rush is better than Trey Lance. So your guess is as good as mine.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I didn’t know people were pumped. I thought many here called him a project

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
For me, it's not about "money...it's about sending a message". I'm GIDDY because Jerry is sending a message to Dak that he will no longer accept mediocrity. He's also telling the fan base: "Hey...I've been feeling this way since Dak had contract leverage over me a few years back. Paying him market value as a top QB constricts the cap and BTW, I don't think he's good enough to win a SB. Heck, I tried to draft Jaylon Hurts 2 years ago!"

Of course, Jerry can't - and won't - articulate those thoughts clearly, but it's obvious that is the message he is sending.

Plus, Stephen A's rant began with "I talk to Jerry Jones"...that tells me that this is an open secret:

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Brees wasn't a bust. SD didn't understand what they had.
Didn't Brees hurt his shoulder and when the draft came around SD drafted Rivers. That's when the Aints picked up Drew. Turned out to be a great decision.

leeblair

Reaction score

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
Because just about anyone would be better than Dak.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Didn't Brees hurt his shoulder and when the draft came around SD drafted Rivers. That's when the Aints picked up Drew. Turned out to be a great decision.
No Brees was drafted in 01. Rivers in 04 (swap with Giants when Eli refused to play for SD). Brees wasn't traded until 06.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Because he struggled in Shanahan's offense, and some coaches force QBs into their system, good coaches adjust to personnel. Don't know if Lance is the guy, but I promise you Dak is not. We are going to attempt to run the ball down people's throats, we better hope it works

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think Brees was a bust or even pedestrian in SD, at least talent wise. He tore his rotator cuff, which at the time was a very serious injury that many thought was difficult to overcome, and they had Rivers in the wings.

I was screaming at Jerry to get Brees while he was available.
I didn’t see anything special in Brees in SD.