CFZ Why are people getting giddy about Trey Lance?

silver

Reaction score
Not giddy at all. Had my reservations during his draft since he only played one year of college ball. He might develop into a solid backup like the Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Because he obviously has potential and is only 23 with limited playing time. They didn't have to give up the 3rd pick to get him just a 4th rounder to kick the tires. If he pans out they struck gold, even if he gets good enough for a trade piece that's still a win. If he sucks and never develops oh well.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Fans here get giddy about any QB who they think might have a chance to replace Dak, especially if they were drafted high. They could care less if they flamed out elsewhere, because it’s anyone but Dak for a lot of Cowboys fans.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I didn’t see anything special in Brees in SD.
And then Brees went on to prove you a poor evaluator of QB's.

He obviously had something going on to anyone paying attention. The Chargers offered him a 5 year 50 million deal, a lot of it based on performance incentives. He turned that down and took the Saints offer of 6 years 60 million.

So while you may not have seen anything special about him, the professionals, and many of us amateurs did.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
It's the hype that's the problem. 2500 post on the Zone, every Tv sports show is hyping it..It's just crazy..For a 3rd string QB..A 3rd stringer who won't play for at least 2 years.. Lance has done nothing to warrant all of the hype. What has he done except have one good year while quarterbacking the best team in the Missouri Valley Football Conference (The same program that Carson Wentz was drafted from). So many people are saying his potential is out the roof..I just don't see it and apparently the 49ers finally came to the same conclusion. He may turn out to be a great player but the second coming of Patrick Mahomes is a bit much..

Not a single DB from the Missouri Valley Football Conference is in the NFL. About all of 6 Defensive players Jabril Cox (Defensive Player of the Year) and John Ridgeway (1st Team MVFC) That should tell you something about the level of talent in MVFC). Not the SEC that's for sure...

Player drafted from MVFC since 2019
2019384DTKhalen SaundersWestern IllinoisKansas City Chiefs
20195166QBEaston StickNorth Dakota StateLos Angeles Chargers
20197223DBJordan Brown is a Free AgentSouth Dakota StateCincinnati Bengals
2020264SAFJeremy ChinnSouthern IllinoisCarolina Panthers
20207254OLBDerrek TuszkaNorth Dakota StateDenver Broncos
202113QBTrey LanceNorth Dakota StateSan Francisco 49ers
2021253OTDillon RadunzNorth Dakota StateTennessee Titans
2021393OTSpencer BrownNorthern IowaBuffalo Bills
20214115LBJabril CoxNorth Dakota StateDallas Cowboys
20214116EdgeElerson G. SmithNorthern IowaNew York Giants
2022119OTTrevor PenningNorthern IowaNew Orleans Saints
2022234WRChristian WatsonNorth Dakota StateGreen Bay Packers
20224127RBPierre Strong Jr.South Dakota StateNew England Patriots
20224136OGCordell VolsonNorth Dakota StateCincinnati Bengals
20225155OTMatt WaletzkoNorth DakotaDallas Cowboys
20225159DTEric JohnsonMissouri StateIndianapolis Colts
20225178DTJohn RidgewayIllinois StateDallas Cowboys
20226192TEAndrew OgletreeYoungstown StateIndianapolis Colts
20227241QBChris OladokunSouth Dakota StatePittsburgh Steelers
2023248OTCody MauchNorth Dakota StateTampa Bay Buccaneers
2023378TETucker KraftSouth Dakota StateGreen Bay Packers

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're so witty! I already did, your emotions blind you.
You did not ask me anything.

But if you did...surely you could have already re-asked me instead of three insulting replies?

What is it you want?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And then Brees went on to prove you a poor evaluator of QB's.

He obviously had something going on to anyone paying attention. The Chargers offered him a 5 year 50 million deal, a lot of it based on performance incentives. He turned that down and took the Saints offer of 6 years 60 million.

So while you may not have seen anything special about him, the professionals, and many of us amateurs did.
Yeah the professionals saw so much in him they drafted Phillip Rivers 4th overall lol......you just say anything lol. Brees HOF career started with the Saints. ITs a fact. Maybe you have a great eye and saw his talent in SD. Good for you. But his talent wasn't on full display until he got to NO with Sean Payton. Sorry.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I'm giddy like the emperor was to get rid of Dooku and later on how eager he was to replace Vader with Luke. Someone "far younger and more powerful..."

Emperor_RotJ.png

blueblood70

Reaction score
Nobody knows what we have in Trey Lance, but you take that chance for a 4th rounder. Even if all he turns into is a competent backup, then great, you came out ahead. If he doesn't pan out, it will be just like the long list of other 4th rounders that didn't pan out.

We traded away Amari, our best WR, for a 5th and he actually played well for the Browns.
Can we stop bringing up amari Cooper he was not cut because he was done he was cut because he no longer was the number one wide receiver here and you cannot make $22 million against the cap as the number two wide receiver he was a cap casualty just like we got Gilmore and cooks and I guarantee you Brandon cooks is every bit as good as Cooper their careers are almost identical and we got him for what Yup both of them for fifths... The business side of football sometimes just gets the better of the fan base and they don't understand amari Cooper was cut for other reasons but mainly it was financial how about this all of our wide receivers this year put together I don't think make $21 million we got three receivers now for less than amari Cooper was making and by the way we also didn't miss him that much everyone can say we would have but the year before it gets the 49ers with the Cooper we lost this past game against the 49ers without amari Cooper we lost except for we did it in the second round so we got a game better we got a game further without amari Cooper can we once and for all stop bringing him up now it's over the Raiders let him go the Cowboys let him go and now he's a brown time to move on

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah the professionals saw so much in him they drafted Phillip Rivers 4th overall lol......you just say anything lol. Brees HOF career started with the Saints. ITs a fact. Maybe you have a great eye and saw his talent in SD. Good for you. But his talent wasn't on full display until he got to NO with Sean Payton. Sorry.
Those are some decent examples I mean Drew Brees did get released because of his shoulder injury not because of his lack of talent and the only reason he bounced back was because his shoulder healed and he got a great coaching staff but still one Super Bowl in 19 years I still call dad underwhelming for what we thought we should get out of this guy just like Brett farve and Aaron Rodgers up to this point with one Super Bowl and all this time I mean that's just to me always been perplexing.... But if you're trying to draw a parallel with Trey Lance being injured not getting a shot not having the right coaching staff with Drew Brees maybe I mean he's not gonna be like Drew Brees he's a mobile quarterback but I believe the best upside that Trey Lance could possibly ever have is gonna be kyler Murray.. I mean I guess you could win if you could develop into a kyler Murray I mean I guess we could take that for a little while.. But to the original poster nobody's giddy about it most people are upset about it they wanted will grier apparently but some people see the upside the possibility of a developmental project quarterback that was taken in the top five of the draft and was great in college with a small sample size..

stiletto

Reaction score
For me, it's not about "money...it's about sending a message". I'm GIDDY because Jerry is sending a message to Dak that he will no longer accept mediocrity. He's also telling the fan base: "Hey...I've been feeling this way since Dak had contract leverage over me a few years back. Paying him market value as a top QB constricts the cap and BTW, I don't think he's good enough to win a SB. Heck, I tried to draft Jaylon Hurts 2 years ago!"

Of course, Jerry can't - and won't - articulate those thoughts clearly, but it's obvious that is the message he is sending.

Plus, Stephen A's rant began with "I talk to Jerry Jones"...that tells me that this is an open secret:

My problem is Dak really has nothing to worry about for a bit. If Jerry did this hoping he'd get Dak to reneg his deal, I kind wish he'd have done it with a QB in the draft that didn't show he could not beat out Sam Darnold or Brandon Allen.

I get the value of the trade but the only option is releasing Dak after this season if you want to get rid of him. You can't trade or tag him if he has a good season. Cutting him would be expensive (I guess doable but like 30-35 mill dead money). So I get the message but if Dak plays lights out, takes the team a little further, renegotiating his deal will be expensive.....Cut him, who is gonna play QB if Lance isn't ready? Don't mind replacing Dak but better have a real plan.

Love that they got a QB to develop, should've been happening for years then maybe Jerry doesn't have to bend over on the contracts like they gave Dak.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Define "giddy".

The bottom line is the trade for Lance is heavily skewed in the Cowboys' favor. The potential is there for Lance to be the player the 49ers thought he would be in 2021.

If he isn't than so what? The Cowboys' fourth round pick next year will likely be in the 130-140 range.

The potential reserve on the investment is what I and a lot of other fans are happy about. Low risk, high reward.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Let's hit the breaks a bit here and look at some facts.

What did the 49ers trade to get Trey Lance in the 2021 draft?

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Lance lost the backup spot in San Fran to the great Sam Darnold.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
I have see no giddiness displayed. Looks to me that most everyone knows what he is right now!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Those are some decent examples I mean Drew Brees did get released because of his shoulder injury not because of his lack of talent and the only reason he bounced back was because his shoulder healed and he got a great coaching staff but still one Super Bowl in 19 years I still call dad underwhelming for what we thought we should get out of this guy just like Brett farve and Aaron Rodgers up to this point with one Super Bowl and all this time I mean that's just to me always been perplexing.... But if you're trying to draw a parallel with Trey Lance being injured not getting a shot not having the right coaching staff with Drew Brees maybe I mean he's not gonna be like Drew Brees he's a mobile quarterback but I believe the best upside that Trey Lance could possibly ever have is gonna be kyler Murray.. I mean I guess you could win if you could develop into a kyler Murray I mean I guess we could take that for a little while.. But to the original poster nobody's giddy about it most people are upset about it they wanted will grier apparently but some people see the upside the possibility of a developmental project quarterback that was taken in the top five of the draft and was great in college with a small sample size..
Yeah but Chargers did not think Brees ceiling was a HOF other wise they wouldn’t have drafted Rivers.l. And if I’m not mistaken they wanted Eli with the first overall pick?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Let's hit the breaks a bit here and look at some facts.

What did the 49ers trade to get Trey Lance in the 2021 draft?

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Lance lost the backup spot in San Fran to the great Sam Darnold.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
Some of the hype over the trade is crazy and the varying opinions on when he's QB1 is misguided. I'm excited about the trade to get a young player to see how he develops, but there's a difference in setting realistic expectations.

He was available for a reason and good young QBs don't get traded away for lower picks and have their team give up on them after 2 seasons. What works in his favor is the fact he is inexperienced and hasn't thrown a lot of passes at each level. He's young enough to develop and without the pressure of immediate expectations on having to deliver maybe things slow down for him and we see solid improvement.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I haven't seen any giddiness. I've seen people ready to give him a chance, people crapping on the possibility that he might develop into a good QB, people who seem sure that he'll be the next franchise QB, and people preemptively defending Dak.

Haven't seen any giddiness.