Why are the Watkins Fans So Afraid of Bringing in Competition?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
TEK2000;1396703 said:
Be sure and leave out the first 6 games of the season in which he started.

so what if i did?

i also didnt mention how we were 5-2 without him and 4-6 with him starting either.

Our best stretch of the season was when he was benched. it was also the only personell move Parcells made to kick off the win streak that began in Carolina.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
the kid 05;1396708 said:
failing to see how this is "sucking" or "horrible"

Hmm... doesnt seem ike he gave up and 30+ yard receptions according to his link?

The Eagles catch was mostly YAC?

Or am I reading something wrong...

TEK2000

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396711 said:
so what if i did?

i also didnt mention how we were 5-2 without him and 4-6 with him starting either.

Our best stretch of the season was when he was benched. it was also the only personell move Parcells made to kick off the win streak that began in Carolina.

Why do we need to get a new FS when we have Keith Davis that was clearly the saviour of our defense according to the argument you're making.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
TEK2000;1396713 said:
Why do we need to get a new FS when we have Keith Davis that was clearly the saviour of our defense according to the argument you're making.

hes the saviour of our defense yet the end of him self

superpunk

Reaction score
I think we've moved from "Should Watkins face competition?" to "Did Watkins suck?"

I think the answer to both is yes.

That doesn't mean he's always going to suck, or that he won't beat any competition we bring in. If we were going to bring in a FS, it should have been last year, and it should have been Dwight Smith. But apparently, he was useless to us, so that we relied on Buckshot Davis, Moonshine Coleman and Pat "Rail Tall" Watkins. Huge mistake.

Bring in competition, let Watkins beat the competition, if he can. If he can't, uess what? That's better for the Cowboys.

We all win.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
smarta5150;1396712 said:
Hmm... doesnt seem ike he gave up and 30+ yard receptions according to his link?

The Eagles catch was mostly YAC?

Or am I reading something wrong...

its right next to the spot where "drops" are next to the WR......

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
so what if i did?

Let's go ahead and upgrade Ware, RW, Newman, Henry, the entire LB core, the entire DLine, Romo, JJ and Barber, TO and Glenn, I think you get our point.

Every position could be better unless you had the best in the game playing that position.

I know we see all the glamour of the combine and the college stuff, but calm down please. Give the guy atleast 2 years before you ditch him. Competition is fine, but we have serious issues at several positions we could look at before looking at FS.

God forbid we draft the FS you want, he gives up 8 TDs and has 0 INTs in his rookie year, he's doomed in your book. You've improved your post count today, now let's move on.

superpunk

Reaction score
it was also the only personell move Parcells made to kick off the win streak that began in Carolina.

My name is Tony Romo, and I approve this message.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
theogt;1396707 said:
I don't think you get how this works. You seem like a reasonably intelligent fellow. When someone makes a claim, it is their burden to prove that claim. You can't make a claim, have someone say, "prove it," and then state that their inability to disprove it is a convincing argument for your original claim. You have yet to make a single utterance in this thread that remotely proves your claim. You simply restate it, over and over and over. Hence, you're entering the eduncan22 stratosphere.

Surely you understand how this proves nothing. The team can give up 10 times as many deep balls with Watkins in the game. That doesn't really tell us anything about Watkins, however. You need to demonsrate that Watkins was the problem.

Well, he did get 3 INTs and 4 passes defensed, which is more than any other rookie FS in his class. I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to find too many rookie FS's in history that had those kinds of numbers his rookie season.

Oh i am well aware of how argumentation works and there is no delegation of burden of proof except by arbitrary means. Youre a participant not an arbiter.

Furthermore, your little reductionist arguments mitigate my points but they do not remove them. Youa re given specific examples on how his ability to make a play on the deep ball. You have been given stats that not only does the team give up less deep balls but also they win at better than tice the rate. i repeat myself but you do noting but mitigate at best but do not actually refute the point.

And all the time all i hear is that all of this is okay because he was a rookie. And the same old tired arguments and im accused of repeating myslef. Last time i checked when you accuse someone of something then do it yourself its hypocritical.

i mean are you really going to try and say that Watkins play was better than below average for an NFL starter?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;1396717 said:
I think we've moved from "Should Watkins face competition?" to "Did Watkins suck?"

I think the answer to both is yes.

That doesn't mean he's always going to suck, or that he won't beat any competition we bring in. If we were going to bring in a FS, it should have been last year, and it should have been Dwight Smith. But apparently, he was useless to us, so that we relied on Buckshot Davis, Moonshine Coleman and Pat "Rail Tall" Watkins. Huge mistake.

Bring in competition, let Watkins beat the competition, if he can. If he can't, uess what? That's better for the Cowboys.

We all win.
Oh hell yeah bring in some competition. I just don't want to waste a first on the position.

Regardless of who wins out, we must get some depth at the position. Basically it's just Pat, because Keith Davis will not see the light of day now that Parcells is gone.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Watkins will be 10x better now that he can just play the game, instead of constantly worrying about making mistakes. Parcells puts alot of pressure on his players, and it showed with Watkins. I've played for a few coaches who are similar to Parcells in the way they handle things, and if you arent the right type of individual for it, it only hinders you.

Plus, now with an attacking scheme instead of a read and react, he will be put in position to succeed far more often.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Clove;1396706 said:
If Watkins was a first rounder, we would not hear this argument.

The fact is, the 3 TDs Watkins gave up were all rookie mistakes and happened early in the year. He was in position to make every play.. Had he been totally burned, then I would have a problem.

He did as good as every rookie, and his INTs are IMO, consisdered superior to even the greats in their rookie year.

Sean Taylor is the only FS that has surpassed Watkins as a rookie, but his INT production has taken a dive. He had 1 INT this year, and gave up a heck of a lot of TDs with 1 INT to show for it - He was drafted top 10, I think he was the 5th choice that year.

I can guarantee you Watkins didn't give up nearly that many TDs in his rookie year. Your issues with Watkins makes no sense, this entire argument is childish.

Ahh the maturity card my favorite. im so glad that this country is a meritocracy.

Statistics are pretty lousey when it comes to evaluating DBs. Look no farther than Newman to show this. Given that all your babbling about pick rates is pointless.

I dont like Watkins because I think his deep coverage ability stinks not because of his tackle numbers or ints.

superpunk

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396726 said:
OMg yeah that was pretty dumb on my part. Hey im worng yay!! :)
I just think we should all calm downa second, and think about what we're really saying.

Watkins 5 game stretch to start the season was terrible. Even if he was "in position", that doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you don't have the head to locate the ball and stop the play. He got beat - alot, and was one of the biggest reasons we started so poorly, along with Bledsoe's alarmingly dreadful play.

So he got benched. For Keith Davis andd the drunk. Who were almost NO better.

So he got to come back out. Proved himself in practice, and for all intents and purposes, performed decently to close the year. Was this because people just picked on our LBs? Maybe. Was this because they could just pick on an injured Roy Williams and a befuddled Terrence Newman while our group of senior citizens opted not to rush the passer to close the year? Maybe.

But I certainly think he warrants being in the mix next year. Bring in some form of competition - the best we can reasonably manage - and let them have it out. The best player will play, and that's good for the Cowboys, and all of us.

superpunk

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;1396731 said:
Watkins will be 10x better now that he can just play the game, instead of constantly worrying about making mistakes. Parcells puts alot of pressure on his players, and it showed with Watkins. I've played for a few coaches who are similar to Parcells in the way they handle things, and if you arent the right type of individual for it, it only hinders you.

Plus, now with an attacking scheme instead of a read and react, he will be put in position to succeed far more often.

Hopefully in 4 years or so Parcells' ravenous influence will dwindle and scientists will finally cure cancer, and all these players he held back will finally reach that untapped HOF potential.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
superpunk;1396737 said:
I just think we should all calm downa second, and think about what we're really saying.

But I certainly think he warrants being in the mix next year. Bring in some form of competition - the best we can reasonably manage - and let them have it out. The best player will play, and that's good for the Cowboys, and all of us.

People thinking im all mad again. im not mad im just a bit rude.

That last part i can agree with but if Landry or Nelson drop to 22 me likee.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
superpunk;1396743 said:
Hopefully in 4 years or so Parcells' ravenous influence will dwindle and scientists will finally cure cancer, and all these players he held back will finally reach that untapped HOF potential.

Seems like a bit of sarcasm to me, but whatever. If you havent played for a coach who is similar in some of the ways as Parcells, you wouldnt know what I mean. But if you arent the right type of person for the style, it only diminishes your confidence and hurts your performance. You're always worried about making mistakes instead of just playing the game. I expect to see a better centerfield FS next year. Roy will wreck havoc as well.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
theogt;1396680 said:
Who had the assigned coverage on those plays? What was the down? What was the coverage call? Do you know any of these things?
Oh, for the love of GOD!!.....don't ask him that!!

Pull up yer waders fellers...............

superpunk

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1396746 said:
People thinking im all mad again. im not mad im just a bit rude.

That last part i can agree with but if Landry or Nelson drop to 22 me likee.
I didn't think you were mad, just posts were flying a mile a minute and everyone seemed agitated, and it seemed to turn from a "Why would you oppose an upgrade at FS" topic to "Watkins sucks, has sucked, and always will suck - Uh-huh or Nuh-uh". Obviously if Landry falls, we don't think twice. Nelson I dunno.

IMO, if we can make that rush better, WHO is at FS becomes less and less relevant. It only matters that someone is there.