Why are we even fans of this franchise

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
We could have EASILY won those wars IF we had fought them like the past wars. If the media had been tagging along every step of the way during WWI & WWII, like it did the ones you're pointing out, we might not have won those big ones either. You can't win a war fighting with one hand tied behind your back. Take the battle of Mogadishu since I know a lot about that conflict. Mohamed Farrah Aidid KNEW we had our hands tied behind our backs. Somalia is mostly built on grass, mud and cow dung. We could've massacred Aidid's ragtag army in a day, like we did to Saddam's military in 1991 on the "Highway of Death" but people around the world would've lost their minds like they did then. In Iraq and Afghanistan, they hid in Mosques, hospitals, schools, and other places they KNEW we wouldn't touch. Hell we couldn't even shoot at them if we didn't see a gun on them. They would attack, then drop their guns and walk on home and their was nothing we could do about it. We have the power to destroy those countries if we really wanted to. Men wearing suits and ties shouldn't be fighting wars. War is terrible and I wish there was no such thing as war, but if you're going to fight in them, fight them to win it, because your enemy sure will. I'll add one more thing. If your enemy isn't abiding by The Geneva Convention, then you shouldn't have to either. Those 4 countries you listed didn't.

Way to derail a thread. :clap:

Hips don't lie, GIJoe and neither does history.
You saying the U.S lost wars (after 1945) from which it escaped and the U.S. lost all those wars intentionally?
That's a new one.
Let me write that down, old boy.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
I grew up in San Antonio, we used to play football on the hot asphalt streets, bare foot some times,,, depending on how fast you could find your shoes or not when a game was being declared.
Those were the best days of my life, in 110 degree blistering heat and running down the side of a street like it was a sideline, and emulating your heros like Preston Pearson, TD, even Golden Richards...
Best days ever brothers.... and sisters.
I might have played against you. Lol. I became a fan in the early 70's living in SA (Singleton St. if my memory serves me) near Lackland. Didn't matter the heat, we were always out playing football.

kskboys

Reaction score
The fact that my family is from TX it's kinda just always been about the cowboys but for me the RB position got me going. It started with Calvin Hill and just kept getting better. Dorsett, Walker, Smith. Even guys like Felix and Julius Jones, Marion barber, and now Zeke make the game fun for me. The game has changed a ton over the years but some things don't change. If you can run and have the ability to stop the run, you'll always be tough to beat.
One of my favorite RB's of all time was ol' Stumpy, Robert Newhouse.

JustChip

Reaction score
I’ve been a fan for as long as I can remember. My dad used to take me and some of my friends to the games at the Cotton Bowl. End zone seats for kids were $1 if I remember right. We’d park in people’s yards on East Grand and other streets near Fair Park. The Cowboys and my dad were linked for me and have been my whole life. He passed in 2018 at my house with me holding his hand while we watched the Texans game on a Sunday night.

There could simply be nothing that would ever change my love for the Cowboys for that reason. I may not like the ownership or some if the players, but every game I watch, and especially, every game I go to, is a connection to my dad.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
I was born into being a fan of the Cowboys. My dad became a fan in the 70s when he lived in Puerto Rico. They would only televise Cowboy games over there and he became a fan. I'm glad they did.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Born n raised in small town USA!!!!!!

Couple guys here locally played for the Longhorns. Happy Feller, who kicked for them, went on to kick for the NFL. Eagles, I think.

Happy Feller! One of my favorite NFL names of all time.

Ol' Happy didn't leave his team's fans happy often, though. In 3 seasons (Eagles and Saints) he made only 16 of his 43 FG attempts (37.2%). :muttley:

95645.jpg

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I've been asking myself this same question lately. Most fans, nowadays, aren't as devoted to this team as those who've been their fans in their glory days. Old images of how they played when championships were perennial occurrences are hard to shake. Hope springs eternal that a return of those times will somehow be granted by the football gods. I'll bet the Joneses would love to see that, if they only knew how to make it re-occur.

I've been a fan since the Cowboys joined the NFL in 1960. Old habits are tough to break. I wonder how many fans in this website can make that claim. If they can, I congratulate them hugely for hanging in there so long. There've been many ups and downs throughout such a span of time for this franchise. Many otherwise diehard fans have come and gone in that time frame. Those who remain are addicted, with no hope of recovery. :D

Last edited:

JustChip

Reaction score
Hard to break being a fan of a team. Real hard. Dallas was my team when I was a little guy and they were great to watch. I don’t think I can quit being a Cowboys fan but they do make me mad.

That said I am dangerously close to giving up on the Yankees. I want to punch Cashman every time I see him.
growing up in the 60s in Dallas, we didn’t have a local baseball team. I was a huge Yankees fan, I guess because they were the team always on tv on Saturday afternoon. And it didn’t hurt that I met the immortal #7 one time.

Anyway, that changed when the Rangers came to town. I grew to hate the Yankees. So there’s hope for you yet.:)

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I had spot for the Cowboys as a kid but being from west cost my loyalty was for the Seahawks and distance second the Rams ...in 1991 i start rooting for the Cowboys and only them

ESisback

Reaction score
I’m a fan for so many reasons, among them: The Star, the uniform, the name, the line of great players and coaches, the tradition and legacy, yada yada yada.

There’s only two reasons that make me question my choice: No Super Bowls for 25 years, and the ENDLESS crying and complaining of the perpetually miserable “fans” who claim to be realists.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I’m a fan for so many reasons, among them: The Star, the uniform, the name, the line of great players and coaches, the tradition and legacy, yada yada yada.

There’s only two reasons that make me question my choice: No Super Bowls for 25 years, and the ENDLESS crying and complaining of the perpetually miserable “fans” who claim to be realists.

These are my two reasons:

jerry-stephen.jpg

kskboys

Reaction score
Happy Feller! One of my favorite NFL names of all time.

Ol' Happy didn't leave his team's fans happy often, though. In 3 seasons (Eagles and Saints) he made only 16 of his 43 FG attempts (37.2%). :muttley:

95645.jpg
Great guy, very down to earth. I do some work for him time to time. His dad was a doctor here in Fredericksburg.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I agree, but they DO have three Lombardi’s under Jerry.

How many decades do we give him a free pass for them? And how has sonny boy as VP worked out? Both would've been fired long ago in the real world.

No other GM has a job 25 years later because of something he did in the 90s. :rolleyes:

Verdict

Reaction score
For me it started from the beginning. How can I not love the star and what it represented. Roger Staubach. Talk about character. Bob Lily. Jason Witten, Sean Lee, so many in between it’s hard to remember them all. People don’t like Jalen Smith. I think he’s one of the reasonsI still like this franchise. Prescott. Yes character. That’s what it means to be America’s team. In my opinion. So even though I don’t believe in the Jones family. I still believe in the star. Go cowboys
Witten falls into a different class than the others for me. He was one of my all time favorite Dallas Cowboys. He was what was right with the organization.

Then he hung around far past his usefulness, and the Cowboys overpaid him to hang around and really drag the team down. He was a progress stopper for other players, impeded the offense and seemingly had the latitude to call his own number in terms of staying on the field.

Maybe that angst should be leveled at Garrett for allowing it to occur or ownership for keeping Witten around out of respect/popularity, but for me, Witten became everything that has held this organization back for the past 25 years or so.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
For me it started from the beginning. How can I not love the star and what it represented. Roger Staubach. Talk about character. Bob Lily. Jason Witten, Sean Lee, so many in between it’s hard to remember them all. People don’t like Jalen Smith. I think he’s one of the reasonsI still like this franchise. Prescott. Yes character. That’s what it means to be America’s team. In my opinion. So even though I don’t believe in the Jones family. I still believe in the star. Go cowboys
We identify with winners and Dallas has been that for 50 years. Just the name Cowboys implies a certain standard..hero, toughness, protector of the lesser..its a heritage no other sports team is close to being.

kskboys

Reaction score
We identify with winners and Dallas has been that for 50 years. Just the name Cowboys implies a certain standard..hero, toughness, protector of the lesser..its a heritage no other sports team is close to being.
Implied.

kskboys

Reaction score
Witten falls into a different class than the others for me. He was one of my all time favorite Dallas Cowboys. He was what was right with the organization.

Then he hung around far past his usefulness, and the Cowboys overpaid him to hang around and really drag the team down. He was a progress stopper for other players, impeded the offense and seemingly had the latitude to call his own number in terms of staying on the field.

Maybe that angst should be leveled at Garrett for allowing it to occur or ownership for keeping Witten around out of respect/popularity, but for me, Witten became everything that has held this organization back for the past 25 years or so.
That's what I was going to say. If what you say about Witten is true, that is on this org, not him.

Completely disagree that he ever impeded the O. Very strange statement.