Why are we even fans of this franchise

Verdict

Reaction score
How many decades do we give him a free pass for them? And how has sonny boy as VP worked out? Both would've been fired long ago in the real world.

No other GM has a job 25 years later because of something he did in the 90s. :rolleyes:

Some of the chagrin we have experienced since the SB years was due to the success we had during the super bowl years. The roster was initially bloated with bad contracts, early retirements, and trans poaching players off our roster because of the Super Bowls. We also picked very late in the draft during our heyday. So it was a perfect storm in terms of a recipe for disaster. You can write off the five years after the Super Bowls due to those factors for the most part.

Jimmy leaving didn’t help. The poaching of our coaches didn’t help. And making poor coaching hires didn’t help either.

I also believe that our success really drew the ire of the other teams and we have “paid for our success” being on the wrong side of every special rule and questionable call.

The Cowboys have had some really bad leadership for about the first half of our drought since the Super Bowls, but ownership has been pretty good the second half of it other than paying players like Witten, and to a lesser degree, Sean Lee.

Verdict

Reaction score
That's what I was going to say. If what you say about Witten is true, that is on this org, not him.

Completely disagree that he ever impeded the O. Very strange statement.

Not really. I could probably run as fast as Witten and that’s pathetic for an NFL tight end. He also couldn’t or wouldn’t block the last several years of his career.

When you have a guy that teams can ignore as a threat it allows them flexibility to scheme against the players that can hurt you. On 3rd and 7 the opposing team could leave Witten open, allow him to catch the ball, make a sandwich, read gone with the wind and still tackle him a yard short of the first down marker.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Some of the chagrin we have experienced since the SB years was due to the success we had during the super bowl years. The roster was initially bloated with bad contracts, early retirements, and trans poaching players off our roster because of the Super Bowls. We also picked very late in the draft during our heyday. So it was a perfect storm in terms of a recipe for disaster. You can write off the five years after the Super Bowls due to those factors for the most part.

Jimmy leaving didn’t help. The poaching of our coaches didn’t help. And making poor coaching hires didn’t help either.

I also believe that our success really drew the ire of the other teams and we have “paid for our success” being on the wrong side of every special rule and questionable call.

The Cowboys have had some really bad leadership for about the first half of our drought since the Super Bowls, but ownership has been pretty good the second half of it other than paying players like Witten, and to a lesser degree, Sean Lee.

Reads like a list of excuses for bad management because we know they aren't going anywhere.

The Jerry & Stephen Era has been a financial success and a football comedy show. No one in their right mind would hire either of them to build a championship football team, much less pair them together. Their 30-year plan would be hilarious if I were a fan of any other team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can answer that with two answers. DallasCowboys.com and CowboysZone, those are the two main reasons I am still a fan.

I do not think I would even care, and now I do not care anything close to what I used to care, were it not for these sites and the interactions with other fans. Yes, much is commiseration but that is cathartic and at times, really funny. In fact, the payoff for losses is more fun in the forums.

When I happened upon the old site and that zany crew of misfits, I thought I had discovered something only to migrate over here and find they were even zanier.

That is the honest truth. You are the reason I am still a Cowboys fan because I am pretty certain the continuing efforts to make the ownership the face of the franchise would have had me take the cure. I really cannot stand that family.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I can answer that with two answers. DallasCowboys.com and CowboysZone, those are the two main reasons I am still a fan.

I do not think I would even care, and now I do not care anything close to what I used to care, were it not for these sites and the interactions with other fans. Yes, much is commiseration but that is cathartic and at times, really funny. In fact, the payoff for losses is more fun in the forums.

When I happened upon the old site and that zany crew of misfits, I thought I had discovered something only to migrate over here and find they were even zanier.

That is the honest truth. You are the reason I am still a Cowboys fan because I am pretty certain the continuing efforts to make the ownership the face of the franchise would have had me take the cure. I really cannot stand that family.

I was never on the DC.com forums, but I spent time at The Ranch on the old Scout forums. That place was a free-for-all.

Most of the active people there wouldn't last a week here. They'd be banned before they ever made enough posts to lose the Rowdy avatar.

ESisback

Reaction score
How many decades do we give him a free pass for them? And how has sonny boy as VP worked out? Both would've been fired long ago in the real world.

No other GM has a job 25 years later because of something he did in the 90s. :rolleyes:
I don’t disagree. My comments are meant for the faction that talks like anything bad is because of the Jones family and everything good is anyone else. I’m with everyone that wants a GM, but I don’t blame them for everything.

Verdict

Reaction score
Reads like a list of excuses for bad management because we know they aren't going anywhere.

The Jerry & Stephen Era has been a financial success and a football comedy show. No one in their right mind would hire either of them to build a championship football team, much less pair them together. Their 30-year plan would be hilarious if I were a fan of any other team.
Actually, I think to some degree the Cowboys ownership is under appreciated, even as management. They have assembled some really good teams (13-3) is very good no matter what yardstick you use to measure it.

We have experienced some bad years, but you can’t simply ignore the good years. 13 and 3 didn’t just happen by accident.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I don’t disagree. My comments are meant for the faction that talks like anything bad is because of the Jones family and everything good is anyone else. I’m with everyone that wants a GM, but I don’t blame them for everything.

I have a problem with people who have titles they didn't earn, and keep those positions regardless of results. Nepotism never helped me. Growing up in small town Ohio my last name hindered me more than it helped me, thanks to dear old dad. Meanwhile, nepotism was all around me. It's why I went to the biggest college I could find, where the professors didn't know your name and didn't care either, they just graded your work.

I give Jerry all the credit in the world for hiring Jimmy. There were definitely scoffers, I wasn't entirely sold on it at first, but it proved to be an excellent decision.

Then he hired Barry Switzer...:facepalm:

ESisback

Reaction score
I have a problem with people who have titles they didn't earn, and keep those positions regardless of results. Nepotism never helped me. Growing up in small town Ohio my last name hindered me more than it helped me, thanks to dear old dad. Meanwhile, nepotism was all around me. It's why I went to the biggest college I could find, where the professors didn't know your name and didn't care either, they just graded your work.

I give Jerry all the credit in the world for hiring Jimmy. There were definitely scoffers, I wasn't entirely sold on it at first, but it proved to be an excellent decision.

Then he hired Barry Switzer...:facepalm:
Nepotism is epic in America—from the White House to the outhouse—and it’s tragic!

vicjagger

Reaction score
Cuz they have the best looking uniforms, when they are on the road and when they are forced to wear the dark jerseys.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Cuz they have the best looking uniforms, when they are on the road and when they are forced to wear the dark jerseys.

May get to see those week one in Tampa. Bucs often wear white at home early in the season, but it's a night game so we'll see.

demarcus%20lawrence_1461189130788_1795053_ver1.0.jpg

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
For me it started from the beginning. How can I not love the star and what it represented. Roger Staubach. Talk about character. Bob Lily. Jason Witten, Sean Lee, so many in between it’s hard to remember them all. People don’t like Jalen Smith. I think he’s one of the reasonsI still like this franchise. Prescott. Yes character. That’s what it means to be America’s team. In my opinion. So even though I don’t believe in the Jones family. I still believe in the star. Go cowboys

Good question.......

Honestly.....Jerry has been living off the Cowboys glory years for as long as he's owned the team. If you were to just take what Jerry has done under his leadership w/o Jimmy...it would be pretty hard to follow this franchise. :(

ESisback

Reaction score
Good question.......

Honestly.....Jerry has been living off the Cowboys glory years for as long as he's owned the team. If you were to just take what Jerry has done under his leadership w/o Jimmy...it would be pretty hard to follow this franchise. :(
But you can’t figure “without Jimmy”, because Jerry hired him. Cherry picking years to feed your agenda isn’t credible.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
But you can’t figure “without Jimmy”, because Jerry hired him. Cherry picking years to feed your agenda isn’t credible.

If only Jimmy & Jerry's marriage could've lasted a little longer. I think Dallas could've won 4 in a row, something even Brady & Belichick didn't pull off.

ESisback

Reaction score
If only Jimmy & Jerry's marriage could've lasted a little longer. I think Dallas could've won 4 in a row, something even Brady & Belichick didn't pull off.
It’s kinda like Simmons/Stanley vs. Frehley/Criss—greatness cut short by “creative differences”!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It’s kinda like Simmons/Stanley vs. Frehley/Criss—greatness cut short by “creative differences”!

Seemed like Texas Stadium just wasn't big enough for Jimmy and Jerry's egos, but who knows? The only one who benefitted from it was Barry Switzer.

cowboyec

Reaction score
The truth cuts like a true rapier.
Yes, you responded in anger, home boi, but get your dates straight.
There is a world of difference between 1776 (a mere declaration) and 1783, when the treaty of Paris was signed to end the war.
In between was Yorktown in 1781.
Learn your important dates, Luther!
And, for God's sake, no more military wars against countries with more than 5,000 inhabitants. It's getting awkward for this great military power to be winless since 1945.
:starspin:5x Super Bowl Champs:starspin:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It was breaking apart. I’m not sure what the salary cap with they could’ve done. It’s still would’ve been nice to see though