Why are we running the ball effectively with Rush but not with Dak?

nobody

Reaction score
Don't.. the simple fact of the matter is we run a very different offense when the two are in. One guy leads the offense to 400+ yards and 30+ points with regularity while the other guy is fortunate to get to 20. If we used this game plan with Dak at QB (like we saw in weeks 2-5 last year) we get the best of both worlds.. An offense that can grind the opposition to paste but a QB who can light them up for 400 yards and 4 TDs at a moment's notice. The biggest problem is getting Moore to recognize that we don't need to play every game like we need 400 yards and 4 TDs out of Dak.. because we don't. We have two very good running backs and an offensive line that appears to be much improved at least in run blocking.. and I think having a couple of tight ends who don't whiff on the backside end regularly is making all the difference. The younguns are already better blockers than Schultz.. and neither appears to be a liability catching the ball either.. Hope Schultz invests his 11 million well.. He will not be getting another contract for that kind of money..

Except when Prescott has been called on to win it when it matters most, he falls short. What does it matter if he's a better player if you have to change the game plan to win with him? You're getting the same results for a lot more money. He's paid to be elite, he's not playing elite.

If he gets his head back in the game and stops playing scared, sure... cool let him play. Dak played amazing and lights out until the Denver game. I want that Dak back. Denver broke him mentally for whatever reason.

Right now? He's not that guy. When he comes back, you're right, they need to play the game plan they're using for Rush to rebuild whatever confidence he lost. But make no mistake, unless he fixes that mental issue if he's called on to carry the team to a win he'll falter like he did against SF and TB.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well yeah. Most QBs when given an option like to throw the ball. But you're acting like Jerry's sitting on his shoulder saying, "Pass! Pass! Pass!"
No, Booger is sitting on Moore's shoulder. And that would not be what he would say, can't string together three words without an "uh".

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why are we running the ball effectively w/ Rush, but mostly could not do so w/ Dak? I absolutely cannot wrap my head around this one. What's the big difference? Does Dak have a tell? I mean, we're just not seeing defenders meeting RB's in the backfield as we did before.

Any ideas?
Tampa DL vs. Bengals and giants...I guess.

I mean it's about.commitment and getting pollard some touches. He torched the giants with some long runs

plasticman

Reaction score
Kellen runs the ball with Cooper in there because he has no choice.

It's not just the fact that Dak escape, throw, and run better. Because Cooper doesn't have the same mobility, he has to release the ball quickly because the O-line is in flux.

Ironically, if they had stuck with the same type of offense they are using with Cooper, it would be exactly the same philosophy during Dak's rookie season. Dak should have always been treated like a busdriver, albeit, with skills you might need in a crunch. However, those skills are not on the same level as elite passers so they shouldn't be featured.

Once again, a player that could really help the Cowboys win so long as he plays within himself, has been misused.

exciter

Reaction score
Why are we running the ball effectively w/ Rush, but mostly could not do so w/ Dak? I absolutely cannot wrap my head around this one. What's the big difference? Does Dak have a tell? I mean, we're just not seeing defenders meeting RB's in the backfield as we did before.

Any ideas?
Lol, did you watch the first 6 games last year before Zeke tweeted his PCL. The run game was practically unstoppable, in large part because Dak actually posses much more of a threat as a passer, leaving teams to pick their poison. The only outlier was Tampa who no one runs on. Jones and Dillon managed 12 for 36 and 12 for 32 respectively Sunday!

Reactions: BAT

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Any ideas?
Yeah, while Prescot proves he can beat teams like a drum through the air, they will continue to load up on the line of scrimmage. Whereas Rush is proving he can beat teams through the air, so they have to play the offense honest! IT'S THAT FRICKING SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Any ideas?
Dak played the bucs defense?
Rush has played the Bengals and midgets.
That's all I got.

ondaedg

Reaction score
This could easily turn into a 10 page thread as the answer really isnt super simple.

1) Zeke being injured last year really hurt our ability to run
2) So far this year Tampa Bay was by far the best run defense we have faced
3) Dak has a tendency to check out of runs more often than Cooper Rush has shown so far
4) Very possible KM took more of a "back to basics" approach once Rush became the starter
5) Fewer penalties the last couple weeks - fewer situations of 10+ yards to go means more ability to run the football
6) We are seeing more downfield attempts right now than we have in recent Dak history. - This one may be incorrect as I didnt look up the data, but it certainly feels like Rush is taking more shots down field, and even those mid range throws.

and the list can go on and on. I have a ton of ideas as to why, but I struggle to pin point just once answer.

1. Both Zeke AND Pollard were hurt last year. Pollard’s injury was the same as Amari’s foot injury he had for years.
  2. Truth! The Bucs defense is arguably the best in the NFL.
  3. It seems Dak does check out of runs often. But that is from viewpoints outside the Cowboys locker room.
  4. Truth! Kellen clearly made some changes to suit Rush better.
  5. Not sure we had fewer penalties last nite…
  6. The increased downfield attempts were because NY deviated away from the 7/8 man zone defense that everyone else had reverted to after last season’s Broncos game. If we weren’t able to run the ball like we did Rush would have faced the same 2WRs vs 7 defenders in coverage that Dak faced in week 1.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Any ideas?
I don’t wanna put the ball in Rush, hands 80% of the plays. If they call the same game plan with Prescott we put up 31 points

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak is more physically talented, but I'm starting to question mightily whether he's a better player.
I can definitely understand that. I keep saying run the same game plan for Prescott we put a 31

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
because chicken little is always in the shotgun. they think that will help the slow reader if he's away from the line. too easy. where's the button?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Pretty easy one here K…

We didn’t play the Bucs weeks 2 and 3.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

Any ideas?
It’s all about play-calling, sticking to it, and the absolute need to sell the play-action for the backup QB. Sadly, this is what good play-callers do for the starting QB as well…..when they also have a very good defense.

However, everyone needs to realize that the Bengals and Giants are not in the same hemisphere as TB right now. The Eagles will be our first real test since game one.
  1. Can the defense stop that running game, running QB, and elite receivers?
  2. Can we continue to run the ball, protect Rush in the pocket, and can Rush find and hit our receivers when they are likely covered closely by Philly’s top CBs?
  3. Will 20-23 points be enough to win, since those are our two best games?
If the answer to even one of those questions is yes, then we will have a chance of winning.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score

Any ideas?

44% of our plays last night used double tight-end sets... even more on some plays, so they had to bring an extra player into the box AND watch the WRs. I've always liked that style of football as if you have a decent back (we have two above-average backs) you can run the ball if you have a decent OL (we do).

Acceptablename

Reaction score

Any ideas?
Oline

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I question whether this is even on Moore.

How do we know when run plays are called but Dak checks out of them?

All I know is that while Prescott is a better player than Rush, our OC and game plan seem to be MUCH better when the latter is playing.

Passing play on 3rd and 1 vs Giants after rushing for 2 straight 1st downs with ease says it's more on KM.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score

Any ideas?

We don't know for sure, but I suspect the defences are showing to Dak forcing him to audible out of running plays.

We have tendency to fault Moore, but it might be Dak's pre-snap reads and the defence has a bead on his tendencies. That's why you hear defensive players saying they knew the play before it was called. Actually they forced the play with the looks.

Next I do believe there is a certain amount of sheer willpower that is being gathered within the team as they close ranks around Rush to "save" the season.

Dak is not there so now they have no one to look at other than themselves. The team is actually playing more as a team than a collection of individuals.

Praxit

Reaction score
...thats on Moore changing it up for Rush. Probably devil in disguise turn of events for team.

I'd use same blueprint for Dak.