Why couldn’t the vaunted Eagles defense stop the Cowboys offense?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
it wasn't meaningless. it was a statement game. it was about psychological advantage. if you think they took this game lightly then you really don't get NFL football and NFL Rivalry.
The players on the field played to win, no doubt, but if you think the coaching and game planning was all in as if this was a battle for something important... then maybe you don't quite get it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So when you celebrate the Dallas offense keep in mind that 4 Philly turnovers led to 20 Dallas points in short to mid field Philly field position.......so if not for those turnovers Dallas scores 20 points so stop overinflating the Dallas offense when the Philly offense in essence gave Dallas the game via turnovers.

This turnovers were created by the Dallas defense, stop giving excuses why Philly gave the game away.
Isn't that is what good teams are supposed to do, create and capitalize on turnovers.

Cooper Rush threw 3 1st half INT's, giving Philly 2 short fields, and negating a possible score for Dallas, I believe the were in FG range or near it.
Those all led to Eagles scores. And those were mistakes by Rush, not great plays by their defense.

Get your facts correct for making excuses why they beat us or they let us beat them.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The players on the field played to win, no doubt, but if you think the coaching and game planning was all in as if this was a battle for something important... then maybe you don't quite get it.
you want to tell me that the eagles coaching staff said, screw this game we won't spend a lot of time game planning and getting ready. we just go out and have philly cheesesteak sandwiches.

again, if you think that, you know nothing about NFL football. I think you don't get it, how important this game was for both teams.

but yeah, go ahead, diminish the win. knock the cowboys.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
This turnovers were created by the Dallas defense, stop giving excuses why Philly gave the game away.
Isn't that is what good teams are supposed to do, create and capitalize on turnovers.

Cooper Rush threw 3 1st half INT's, giving Philly 2 short fields, and negating a possible score for Dallas, I believe the were in FG range or near it.
Those all led to Eagles scores. And those were mistakes by Rush, not great plays by their defense.

Get your facts correct for making excuses why they beat us or they let us beat them.
So? He specifically focused on "offense".

The defense making some great takeways does not negate the point that the offense benefitted from them.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
They knew they were going to lose before they got there.
With Hurts out they knew the offense would struggle- and it did- giving up four turnovers.
The defense of the Eagles knew they couldn't play as aggressive because they would have to be on the field longer with their offense not being up to par.
It was a good victory, but one that anyone who knows football expected.
Dak got to play against a weaker version of the team Cooper Rush faced, and still nearly gave the game away early. The Cowboys won by six points after getting four turnovers from the Eagles, but Dak gave the Eagles seven points himself.
And the Cowboys were at home. Dak didn't have to play against a hostile crowd, one that would gave eaten him alive after the early pick six.
The Cowboys were able to maintain the momentum going against a weaker Eagles offense, so Dak played well.
You asked.
that's fair....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
People act like Philly has the division sown up, they don't. Hurts will likely miss this weeks game as well vs NO. Should NO win, it comes down to the final weekend with Hurts still dealing with shoulder issue. I do think the odds are good for Philly but lose this weekend and those odds go down quite a bit.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They weren’t able to dominate time of possession with their read option running game with Hurts out!
Hurts did not truly dominate game 1 with his legs, go look, sure hes and extra threat but hardly would made huge difference their offense scored 26 first game with 3 Rush INts and 27 points 2nd game. the game being shortened with less throws maybe makes the core lower on both sides with less mistakes but stil believe we would win..
I luv how our and their fan base say we wouldn't have scored 40 without the T/Os by their Offense, yet they go 3 and only scored 26 WITH HURTS??

Beaker42

Reaction score
They weren’t able to dominate time of possession with their read option running game with Hurts out!
Wrong. Their drives Saturday weren’t any shorter than in game 1 with Cooper. We actually outplayed the illEagles the second half of game 1 with the difference being Rush’s picks in the 2nd quarter and the D not being into it at all the entire 2nd quarter.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So? He specifically focused on "offense".

The defense making some great takeways does not negate the point that the offense benefitted from them.

Dallas threw for over 300 yards not a single team has put up over 300 yards passing on Philly. Dallas did benefit off take aways, it is called football offense and defense and in this game defense did not play great but did create turnovers/ Cowboys went 8-15 on 3rd downs. Even more impressive at least for Dak was despite Philly sacking him 6 time in the game he still put up 347, 3 TD passes going 27 of 35 vs one of the top defense in the NFL

CordovaRaider

Reaction score
49ers are the best D in the league and it’s not even close.

And they gave up like 40 to the Chiefs…the QBs in the AFC are just miles ahead of the QBs in the NFC (which totally inflates the NFC defenses)…

Go thru the top 10 QBs in the league:

Mahomes (AFC)
Allen (AFC)
Burrow (AFC)
Herbert (AFC)
Lawrence (AFC)
Hurts (NFC)
Tua (AFC)
Dak (NFC)
Jackson (AFC)
Rodgers (NFC)

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
you want to tell me that the eagles coaching staff said, screw this game we won't spend a lot of time game planning and getting ready. we just go out and have philly cheesesteak sandwiches.

again, if you think that, you know nothing about NFL football. I think you don't get it, how important this game was for both teams.

but yeah, go ahead, diminish the win. knock the cowboys.
You really think either/both teams pulled out all the stops to scheme a win?

Or, is it more likely that both staffs played somewhat vanilla ball knowing that there is a good chance they will meet again in a far more important game and as such kept some things in their back pockets...

It would be a firing offense to play all your cards in such a game.

These players a grown men with a lifetime of competition under their belts. You don't reach the level they do by needing some mythical "psychological advantage" when you have your PO seeding essentially locked up. Hell, if anything this Cowboys team plays their best when in "something to prove" mode.

Geesh. This is football 101 stuff. We did this a hundred years ago in high school for Pete's sake.

As a coach my pregame speech would be, "Ok fellas, we're going out their today with our magazines half full so make your shots count. Let's show these guys we can manhandle them so when we see them again in a few weeks, and we go full locked and loaded, they won't know what hit them. Cowboys on three!!!"

Legendz82

Reaction score
And they gave up like 40 to the Chiefs…the QBs in the AFC are just miles ahead of the QBs in the NFC (which totally inflates the NFC defenses)…

Mahomes (AFC)
Allen (AFC)
Burrow (AFC)
Herbert (AFC)
Lawrence (AFC)
Hurts (NFC)
Tua (AFC)
Dak (NFC)
Jackson (AFC)
Rodgers (NFC)

Oh there is no doubt that the AFC is way stronger then the NFC.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Dallas threw for over 300 yards not a single team has put up over 300 yards passing on Philly. Dallas did benefit off take aways, it is called football offense and defense and in this game defense did not play great but did create turnovers/ Cowboys went 8-15 on 3rd downs. Even more impressive at least for Dak was despite Philly sacking him 6 time in the game he still put up 347, 3 TD passes going 27 of 35 vs one of the top defense in the NFL
I understand. I was simply responding to the absurdity of knocking the assertion that the offense might not have produced as many points without the four turnovers provided by the defense.

I think it is safe to say that, even though the offense put up yards and points, that game turns out differently had the defense not produced those turnovers.

The statement, "The defense won the game", is not inaccurate. It doesn't tell the whole story of course, but it is not inaccurate.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Mahomes (AFC)
Allen (AFC)
Burrow (AFC)
Herbert (AFC)
Lawrence (AFC)
Hurts (NFC)
Tua (AFC)
Dak (NFC)
Jackson (AFC)
Rodgers (NFC)
UMm not horrible list in agree with most but im Taking Cousins over Tua.. and QBs being stronger, maybe,

stronger teams, no team play is what will carry you in the payoffs includes defense, coaching etc, i believe the top 3 teams in both conferences are equally matched.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You really think either/both teams pulled out all the stops to scheme a win?

Or, is it more likely that both staffs played somewhat vanilla ball knowing that there is a good chance they will meet again in a far more important game and as such kept some things in their back pockets...

It would be a firing offense to play all your cards in such a game.

These players a grown men with a lifetime of competition under their belts. You don't reach the level they do by needing some mythical "psychological advantage" when you have your PO seeding essentially locked up. Hell, if anything this Cowboys team plays their best when in "something to prove" mode.

Geesh. This is football 101 stuff. We did this a hundred years ago in high school for Pete's sake.

As a coach my pregame speech would be, "Ok fellas, we're going out their today with our magazines half full so make your shots count. Let's show these guys we can manhandle them so when we see them again in a few weeks, and we go full locked and loaded, they won't know what hit them. Cowboys on three!!!"
I think they planned it as if it was any other regular season games. ofcourse no team shows all their hands and they always add during the year. this was a psychological win more than anything. these teams know each other. even when rush played, their offense with Hurts scored only 27 and that was off of three Dallas turnovers..... it came down to execution and Dallas executed better. if Dallas loses, Eagles have all the edge for a potential playoff rematch. Dallas losing two games in a row, would be bad for them and throw in a lot of doubt. Eagles losing, gives cowboys an edge that we can beat you, specially that it wasn't a low scoring game, with the cowboys offense putting 40 on their defense (despite the turnovers, we put up 460+ yards on their defense and moved at eas).

and players are grown men. these guys compete. they don't lay down and go oh, what the heck, let them have this one. they are competitors at the highest level. that's what competitors do. they want to win. I mean the eagles bought lunch for Jags coaching staff the week before. that's throwing fuel on fire...this is a rivalry. records often don't matter in a rivalry.

yes, VT.... simple football 101 stuff.

have you ever competed in any sport? if you did, if you had a competitive edge to you...you would know.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I understand. I was simply responding to the absurdity of knocking the assertion that the offense might not have produced as many points without the four turnovers provided by the defense.

I think it is safe to say that, even though the offense put up yards and points, that game turns out differently had the defense not produced those turnovers.

The statement, "The defense won the game", is not inaccurate. It doesn't tell the whole story of course, but it is not inaccurate.
I agree with you on this one. turnovers or not, we had 460+ yards of offense. that's a good offensive day no matter how you look at it.

and I disagree somewhat...given how the offense was moving the ball, given 20 points and 4 scores came off regular long drives, that we would have similar success, so instead of a shorter drive, we would have longer drives, perhaps hold the ball longer....and one of those turnovers at the end, was cowboys playing it safe, just extending the score and putting eagles in a difficult position (forcing them to use timeouts, and extending score so they needed a TD and not a FG to tie). and lets not forget they scored 7 off turnovers too. but somehow people diminish our scoring off turnover while giving them credit.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Defense played a part creating turnovers, that is big in any game but the turnover itself does not put points on the board offense still had to string plays together and put the ball in the endzone. Cowboys did that going 3 of 5 in redzone. So frankly does not take anything away from the offensive production. It takes nothing away from the play of Prescott.
I would add the defense gave up points and allowed Philly to put together drives, at the end defense knows they must play better heading into post season. As far as I'm concerned it was a team win.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I'll say it again: Both teams knew the game was meaningless and that a round 3 was likely. Siriano outright said it to McCarthy in front of the camera. Both sides were just playing base, vanilla schemes on offense and defense. That favors offense.

The next game isn't going to look like that. You will see far more blitz packages, disguised coverages, etc. This goes for both teams.

When the score of the next game isn't 40-34, don't ask "what happened to the offense?!?!?"
I agree no one showed what they will be doing in the playoffs and both were hoping to have little exposure to injuries. All bets are off if they play again.