Why couldn’t the vaunted Eagles defense stop the Cowboys offense?

Bagman

Reaction score
They knew they were going to lose before they got there.
With Hurts out they knew the offense would struggle- and it did- giving up four turnovers.
The defense of the Eagles knew they couldn't play as aggressive because they would have to be on the field longer with their offense not being up to par.
It was a good victory, but one that anyone who knows football expected.
Dak got to play against a weaker version of the team Cooper Rush faced, and still nearly gave the game away early. The Cowboys won by six points after getting four turnovers from the Eagles, but Dak gave the Eagles seven points himself.
And the Cowboys were at home. Dak didn't have to play against a hostile crowd, one that would gave eaten him alive after the early pick six.
The Cowboys were able to maintain the momentum going against a weaker Eagles offense, so Dak played well.
You asked.
Your post has a few flaws. First, somebody tell Avante Maddox, Josh Sweat, Fletcher Cox or Linval Joseph that Saturday nights game didn't matter. Tell them they played weaker and less aggressive. No way. Those guys were absolutely FLYING around like savages. They played very hard.
The Eagles didn't GIVE Dallas 4 turnovers. They gave them 1. Dallas TOOK the other 3. Aggressive ballhawking defenses do that. Finally, Minshew was excellent. He carved up the defense at times, moved around well and avoided sacks allnight. Just like Hurts does. Besides, Philly didn't punt once. How much better could Hurts do ? -1 punts ?

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I think main deal is Philadelphia does not intimidate the Cowboys. We face them 2 times a year and frankly Cowboys have had great success vs Philly which bring in the confidence factor of been there done that. the 1st meeting was a hard fought game with our backup QB in the game and was still close.

Agree. The Eagles thrive on getting up on teams and then bringing heavy pressure. Cowboys are used to their MO and adapt to it as long as they keep the score close and don’t commit turnovers

Proof

Reaction score
Never seen more people get excited over a win that really means nothing. Both teams were already in the playoffs so resting players should be first and foremost right now. I could care less if we won or lost last week as it changes nothing.

I look at the rest of the season as pre-playoff games which is the same as pre-season games to me. Give the first team some snaps, work on some plays etc. But the main thing is to get though the game without any injuries. I could care less what the score is at the end of the game win or lose.

The prize is not who has the best record at the end of regular season, the prize is to win in the playoffs. Everyone starts them 0-0

huh? the eagles are the best team in the league and our hated rivals, have been trolling us all year, it was christmas eve coming off an embarrassing meltdown, was a thrilling game and gutsy win full of huge plays. not to mention w/ lane johnson out and hurts hurt (lol) there's an inkling of a chance we can still win the division and/or 1 seed. had we not won that's not the case.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
You are trying really hard here. You trying to claim the Eagles tanked their lineups? We can go through the actual snap counts and show the lie of that.
How on earth did you get that from my post?

Must be you misinterpreted my reference to how, in the past, division rivals with nothing to gain have absolutely "rested" guy's in meaningless end of season games. How do you not know/remember that?

I'm also guessing you're taking my post at face value and not interpreting it against the context of the back and forth it was referencing.

Bagman

Reaction score
The Eagles are not the best defense in the NFL the 49ers are. Eagles stats are skewed because of their cupcake schedule. You can see flaws in this defense and they aren’t going anywhere in the playoffs. I still believe the 49ers will shred both of these teams in the playoffs.
The Niners probably have the best defense. Its great on all 3 levels. But to be fair, they've played the biggest cupcake schedule of all the top teams

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
huh? the eagles are the best team in the league and our hated rivals, have been trolling us all year, it was christmas eve coming off an embarrassing meltdown, was a thrilling game and gutsy win full of huge plays. not to mention w/ lane johnson out and hurts hurt (lol) there's an inkling of a chance we can still win the division and/or 1 seed. had we not won that's not the case.
I agree

Bagman

Reaction score
And I hope that changes this week. We have nothing really to play for. Again its pre-playoffs for us. But Dallas being the stupid team that they are will play their first team the whole game. The Titans are fighting for a playoff spot so will be playing hard. All it takes is one play and Pollard or Dak or Cee Dee etc gets hurt and we dont have them for the playoffs so our post season run pretty much ends before it even gets started...and for what? So we can win one more regular season game?....
We can still win the division. We have to use our starters. Playing on Thursday night ahead of Philly's game forces Dallas to try to win. Next week vs Wash may be a much different Dallas lineup but they have to play to win this week.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
They knew they were going to lose before they got there.
With Hurts out they knew the offense would struggle- and it did- giving up four turnovers.
The defense of the Eagles knew they couldn't play as aggressive because they would have to be on the field longer with their offense not being up to par.
It was a good victory, but one that anyone who knows football expected.
Dak got to play against a weaker version of the team Cooper Rush faced, and still nearly gave the game away early. The Cowboys won by six points after getting four turnovers from the Eagles, but Dak gave the Eagles seven points himself.
And the Cowboys were at home. Dak didn't have to play against a hostile crowd, one that would gave eaten him alive after the early pick six.
The Cowboys were able to maintain the momentum going against a weaker Eagles offense, so Dak played well.
You asked.
Non of this has anything to do with the game AT ALL!
Philly needed this game to clinch the division. They would have LOVED to spoil our Christmas Eve/Day etc.

We put a forty burger on their top ranked D.

Their backup QB played a very good game. The 2 interceptions were forced.

Praxit

Reaction score
The Eagles defense came into the game as the #1-#3 rated defense depending on what stat you chose. They had been playing lights out all year long. Even after Saturday the Eagles are #2 in yards allowed. They’re #1 in passing yards allowed. They came into this game at full strength defensively. Why couldn’t they stop the Cowboys offense? Please one of you doubters tell me why the best defense in the NFL couldn’t stop the Cowboys offense?
..they finally played a GOOD well rounded team.... ;)...

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
We can still win the division. We have to use our starters. Playing on Thursday night ahead of Philly's game forces Dallas to try to win. Next week vs Wash may be a much different Dallas lineup but they have to play to win this week.
Common sense! Almost every coach in the NFL would play their starters in our situation!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
The Eagles are not the best defense in the NFL the 49ers are. Eagles stats are skewed because of their cupcake schedule. You can see flaws in this defense and they aren’t going anywhere in the playoffs. I still believe the 49ers will shred both of these teams in the playoffs.
The Whiners schedule isn’t any tougher than Philly’s!
The Whiners won’t shred either Dallas or Philly!

You sound like a Whiner lover!

exciter

Reaction score
Hurts did not truly dominate game 1 with his legs, go look, sure hes and extra threat but hardly would made huge difference their offense scored 26 first game with 3 Rush INts and 27 points 2nd game. the game being shortened with less throws maybe makes the core lower on both sides with less mistakes but stil believe we would win..
I luv how our and their fan base say we wouldn't have scored 40 without the T/Os by their Offense, yet they go 3 and only scored 26 WITH HURTS??
Hurts didn’t, but the threat of him running opened the door for their backup RB to run all over on that last sustained drive!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Diggs needs 2 live up to standards he is always talking about. Thus far, he has been all talk and little luster. Where has he been? Bland has been the man the last few weeks. He jumps off the screen.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Non of this has anything to do with the game AT ALL!
Philly needed this game to clinch the division. They would have LOVED to spoil our Christmas Eve/Day etc.

We put a forty burger on their top ranked D.

Their backup QB played a very good game. The 2 interceptions were forced.
Right, imagine Philly being like: " Naw, skip this game, we'll win the next one."