Why couldn’t the vaunted Eagles defense stop the Cowboys offense?

phildadon86

Reaction score
They knew they were going to lose before they got there.
With Hurts out they knew the offense would struggle- and it did- giving up four turnovers.
The defense of the Eagles knew they couldn't play as aggressive because they would have to be on the field longer with their offense not being up to par.
It was a good victory, but one that anyone who knows football expected.
Dak got to play against a weaker version of the team Cooper Rush faced, and still nearly gave the game away early. The Cowboys won by six points after getting four turnovers from the Eagles, but Dak gave the Eagles seven points himself.
And the Cowboys were at home. Dak didn't have to play against a hostile crowd, one that would gave eaten him alive after the early pick six.
The Cowboys were able to maintain the momentum going against a weaker Eagles offense, so Dak played well.
You asked.
Lol. What a horrible take. This is almost as bad as saying the players didn’t care about this game nor did the coaches. If coaches didn’t care they wouldn’t risk their starting players. What a weird way to look at it. If you watch slays interview after the game. The eagles wanted this win badly.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
so in your big assumption you assumed that the drives that they had turnovers, they would automatically score and not punt and subsequently, Dallas offense wouldn't score because they didn't show they can drive the lenght of the field against philly....

given you are playing ifs/buts/thens, I would then say, Philly would not score, then dallas would have a longer field to drive and hold the ball longer and end up scoring and Philly would have less possessions as a result. I would stand to be more right than wrong, given dallas did have long drives, and did score on long drives given 20 of their points didn't come off turnovers.

btw, on one of those turnovers, dallas had the ball at their own 40....perhaps instead of 25 yard line, so a difference of about 15 yards....wow, what a big deal.

but I find it funny, you rather than celebrating a dallas win, find ways to knock them down and dismiss their success because of your hatred towards Dak....you talk about us scoring off turnovers, but not about philly scoring off turnovers...didn't they have 7 points from an interception?

you just can't help yourself. your inner anger, towards Dak can't allow you to just say one nice thing about cowboys win. you can't even enjoy it. what a misreable misreable life for you.
He's a bona-fide Dak hater and embarrassing for all to see. You nailed it in explaining exactly what he is.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I think they planned it as if it was any other regular season games. ofcourse no team shows all their hands and they always add during the year. this was a psychological win more than anything. these teams know each other. even when rush played, their offense with Hurts scored only 27 and that was off of three Dallas turnovers..... it came down to execution and Dallas executed better. if Dallas loses, Eagles have all the edge for a potential playoff rematch. Dallas losing two games in a row, would be bad for them and throw in a lot of doubt. Eagles losing, gives cowboys an edge that we can beat you, specially that it wasn't a low scoring game, with the cowboys offense putting 40 on their defense (despite the turnovers, we put up 460+ yards on their defense and moved at eas).

and players are grown men. these guys compete. they don't lay down and go oh, what the heck, let them have this one. they are competitors at the highest level. that's what competitors do. they want to win. I mean the eagles bought lunch for Jags coaching staff the week before. that's throwing fuel on fire...this is a rivalry. records often don't matter in a rivalry.

yes, VT.... simple football 101 stuff.

have you ever competed in any sport? if you did, if you had a competitive edge to you...you would know.
My goodness. I literally said "the players on the field played to win". Hint- that is the competitive edge the players have.

I also mentioned how way back when, my HS coaches absolutely held their cards against potential future PO teams. They coached us up on it. Told us the plan. Nobody took that to mean the coaches wanted us to lay off on the individual effort.

It's like you have forgotten all the end of season games where one team or the other puts out a bad lineup for whatever reason because the game is meaningless.

I can se it now in the after season owner/GM/coaches meetings. "Well boys, we sure got our butts handed to us in that PO game". "Well yea, but we beat them in that meaningless week 15 game!!!" High fives and bonuses for everyone!!!

You're not even understanding what you're reading. Must be that competitive edge to just have to be right... lol

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He's a bona-fide Dak hater and embarrassing for all to see. You nailed it in explaining exactly what he is.
he is a Dak hater, but he tries to be clever and thinks he is fooling everyone by posting a positive comment about Dak ;);), and then he tries a passive aggressive message, back handed comments.

he is not a cowboys fan, he just hangs around here. he is really a Vikings fan and given he lived in Tenn. he is a titans fan. he used to fawn over Tannehill. almost embarassingly.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
My goodness. I literally said "the players on the field played to win". Hint- that is the competitive edge the players have.

I also mentioned how way back when, my HS coaches absolutely held their cards against potential future PO teams. They coached us up on it. Told us the plan. Nobody took that to mean the coaches wanted us to lay off on the individual effort.

It's like you have forgotten all the end of season games where one team or the other puts out a bad lineup for whatever reason because the game is meaningless.

I can se it now in the after season owner/GM/coaches meetings. "Well boys, we sure got our butts handed to us in that PO game". "Well yea, but we beat them in that meaningless week 15 game!!!" High fives and bonuses for everyone!!!

You're not even understanding what you're reading. Must be that competitive edge to just have to be right... lol

You are trying really hard here. You trying to claim the Eagles tanked their lineups? We can go through the actual snap counts and show the lie of that.

Bing

Reaction score
Never seen more people get excited over a win that really means nothing. Both teams were already in the playoffs so resting players should be first and foremost right now. I could care less if we won or lost last week as it changes nothing.

I look at the rest of the season as pre-playoff games which is the same as pre-season games to me. Give the first team some snaps, work on some plays etc. But the main thing is to get though the game without any injuries. I could care less what the score is at the end of the game win or lose.

The prize is not who has the best record at the end of regular season, the prize is to win in the playoffs. Everyone starts them 0-0

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Never seen more people get excited over a win that really means nothing. Both teams were already in the playoffs so resting players should be first and foremost right now. I could care less if we won or lost last week as it changes nothing.

I look at the rest of the season as pre-playoff games which is the same as pre-season games to me. Give the first team some snaps, work on some plays etc. But the main thing is to get though the game without any injuries. I could care less what the score is at the end of the game.

The prize is not who has the best record at the end of regular season, the prize is to win in the playoffs. Everyone starts them 0-0
resting players should be foremost!? but neither team did rest players (outside of injured players).

Bing

Reaction score
resting players should be foremost!? but neither team did rest players (outside of injured players).

And I hope that changes this week. We have nothing really to play for. Again its pre-playoffs for us. But Dallas being the stupid team that they are will play their first team the whole game. The Titans are fighting for a playoff spot so will be playing hard. All it takes is one play and Pollard or Dak or Cee Dee etc gets hurt and we dont have them for the playoffs so our post season run pretty much ends before it even gets started...and for what? So we can win one more regular season game?....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And I hope that changes this week. We have nothing really to play for. Again its pre-playoffs for us. But Dallas being the stupid team that they are will play their first team the whole game. The Titans are fighting for a playoff spot so will be playing hard. All it takes is one play and Pollard or Dak or Cee Dee etc gets hurt and we dont have them for the playoffs so our post season run pretty much ends before it even gets started...and for what? So we can win one more regular season game?....
I agree, this week, we should rest some players. get ready for playoffs. although there is still an outside chance for us to get the top seed.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
This turnovers were created by the Dallas defense, stop giving excuses why Philly gave the game away.
Isn't that is what good teams are supposed to do, create and capitalize on turnovers.

Cooper Rush threw 3 1st half INT's, giving Philly 2 short fields, and negating a possible score for Dallas, I believe the were in FG range or near it.
Those all led to Eagles scores. And those were mistakes by Rush, not great plays by their defense.

Get your facts correct for making excuses why they beat us or they let us beat them.

LOL...nice to see you in your position take such a neutral stance....oh wait, you never have.

Ken

Reaction score
The Eagles defense came into the game as the #1-#3 rated defense depending on what stat you chose. They had been playing lights out all year long. Even after Saturday the Eagles are #2 in yards allowed. They’re #1 in passing yards allowed. They came into this game at full strength defensively. Why couldn’t they stop the Cowboys offense? Please one of you doubters tell me why the best defense in the NFL couldn’t stop the Cowboys offense?
Because.............

Jalen Hurts didn't play.

At least...that is what haters on this site and the national media seem to think.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
....so I have to be a sheep Cowboys fan who believes in everything rainbows and unicorns to be a 'real' fan like you? No wonder this is a microcosm of this nation.

No don't have to be a sheep but you don't have to be an ***. I give credit and give criticism. Unlike you who come here and constantly craps on this team and this QB who are currently sitting at 11-4 and in post season yet you and some others from the peanut gallery come in here acting as if this is some bum team. One thing I know after a win or lose is you and a few others come in here trolling. At least most fans around the league get excited when their teams win. lol Yes I am better than you.

Bing

Reaction score
I agree, this week, we should rest some players. get ready for playoffs. although there is still an outside chance for us to get the top seed.

Yeah and I could win the lotto but dont count on it. I could care less what seed we are. If we are not good enough to go into another teams backyard and beat them then we really dont deserve to be there anyway.

All this, well if so and so wasn't hurt and could of played we would of won the game BS. We are lucky we clinched a playoff spot early so we are not out there fighting the last two games of the year trying to get one.

If this team is to stupid to treat the last two games of the season as freebies that dont matter so everyone goes into the playoffs healthy and feeling good then they deserve to lose the first post season game.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

But the game wasn't meaningless.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Eagles defense came into the game as the #1-#3 rated defense depending on what stat you chose. They had been playing lights out all year long. Even after Saturday the Eagles are #2 in yards allowed. They’re #1 in passing yards allowed. They came into this game at full strength defensively. Why couldn’t they stop the Cowboys offense? Please one of you doubters tell me why the best defense in the NFL couldn’t stop the Cowboys offense?

To be fair, they weren't at full strength defensively. There were missing CJ Gardner-Johnson, one of their best defenders and I think it does make a difference in their defense. I think losing Maddox during the game also hurt them. But they were otherwise healthy. And I think if we give them the excuse of injuries, we have to also do the same for Dallas. The Cowboys defense was missing 4 defensive starters, and that really made a big difference.

The difference is, the Eagles will get Gardner-Johnson back soon. CBs Lewis and Brown will not return this year for Dallas. Neither will Terence Steele.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Better than me? You are an infantile minded fanatic who places their daily emotion on the results of a sports team and cry when someone has a differing opinion than your own.

You bet 100% better than you. lol I'm infertile, you come here win or lose to slam this team, you are joke and a troll.

Proof

Reaction score
I agree with you lukin, where exactly did the Iggles offense struggle? They marched it up and down the field, never even being forced to punt once. They scored 27, like you said. Their backup QB actually had more passing yards then Dak, who had an incredible game. Difference was those turnovers, but those are mistakes. Really the 2 INTS the cowboys DBs just wanted the ball more and took it. They were more aggressive than the WRS on those plays. The Iggles offense matched ours pretty well all game and were out in front by 10 twice. Wheres the struggling part?

i feel like the "no punting" is a bit misleading since they had failed 4th down conversions and 4 turnovers