Video: Why Dak is the most accurate. NFL Network

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And if he made the "safe" throw you guys would be saying he can't get the ball in the end zone.

He made the safe throws his whole rookie season. If we win, nobody cares about his stats.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why are you stuck on this one play? Who cares isn't he didn't get it to Rod Smith. Much respect to Smith but in the red zone I trust Witten over most guys on this team.

Dak had a bad second half. No escaping that.

Anyone who watches the Cowboys play knows this playbook is outdated and predictable. If you watch the Patriots play you see all game their receivers get open whether it's from pick plays or simply route running.

I'm just using this play b/c it happens to be on the video posted by the op-ed, and I think its indicative of why Dak struggled last year. It shows him locking onto a primary target and missing the open guy. It happened all year and did not usually result in a TD.

I don't buy that all the pass catchers suddenly couldn't get open when it was the same group of guys that he had the previous year.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
When you win, the QB is doing a good job; when you lose, the QB either sucks or has skills but not what it takes to win.

That's always been the narrative, and it will probably always be so. I don't recall any posters suggesting that Dak was not a good starting QB for the Cowboys in 2016. They may have laughed at anyone comparing his skills to Wentz at the time, but no one was saying he's a bum and we need to find a QB. Then he struggles in 2017; we go 9-7, and he sucks. He'll never win; we need to draft a QB.

It was really the same way with Romo. Early years as a starter, we were hopeful that his gunslinger mentality would eventually calm down and he'd cut down on interceptions and turnovers, but we saw his ability. But the bottom line was the team didn't have many good years in the W-L column, so he was a talented QB who couldn't win the big game or take his team on his back to victory like Favre/Rodgers. Now, he's retired, and he belongs in the HOF. Fans are crazy.

diefree666

Reaction score
when arguably the three best QBs currently playing are not listed with DAK one has to be reasonable and figure there is a reason for that - which is NOT in Daks favor.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm just using this play b/c it happens to be on the video posted by the op-ed, and I think its indicative of why Dak struggled last year. It shows him locking onto a primary target and missing the open guy. It happened all year and did not usually result in a TD.

I don't buy that all the pass catchers suddenly couldn't get open when it was the same group of guys that he had the previous year.
It happens with this playbook. Romo went through at times too. This offense becomes too predictable because its outdated. They had success Dak's first year and they went back and tried to continue the same approach. IT backfired.

DiResta

Reaction score
that comment
Dak is the 5th best qb in the nfce

:p

everyone watched how bad he was at times
stop glorifying the guy last year was embarrassing
want people to hate you? get propped up as a top performer when its plain he was bad
the guy had 2 games the entire season where he threw for more than 255 yards and 8 of them not even 200.
and its not like he was super efficient or something, i could live with that
no he was awful
he has so much to work on where to start

jday

Reaction score
I like your style: stir the pot and then sit back and be entertained. On to the draft!
The key to a post such as this is understanding that every person participating has already made up their mind what they believe...and you ain't changing it.

But you can have fun at their expense. :grin:

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
The title of the video is misleading, the claim is that Dak is the top “tight window” thrower. Tight window is not equal to accuracy.
Accuracy is not the be all and end all but it is a tool on the QB’s belt. Dak is not accurate at all, but it would help if an actual baseline for what it means to be accurate in the NFL was established, instead of pretending that accuracy is completion percentage, or tight window percentage or whatever stat they create this week.
One thing I do believe is that I don’t think that the most accurate QBs are necessarily the best QBs, just as the QBs with the best arms are not necessarily the best.

conner01

Reaction score
What the video seems obtuse to is that great QBing is made by throwing to the guy who got separation and not force throws into coverage. Cheering for him doing so misses the point.

I mean in those clips shown you can see receivers running free and Dak throws into coverage. Dez having to reach through a DB on a low throw was a nice touch.
I think that’s the one thing dak has to work on the most. Find the open guy but it’s one of those things you learn with time and reps somewhat
Knowing defenses helps you know who is likely to be open
Vision is also important but you can improve understanding what the defense is doing and overcome some lack of vision
He also needs to work on footwork

blueblood70

Reaction score
the truth lies somewhere in between the lines of all this dak talk..Hes not nearly as bad as hes looked during that horrid four game stretch last year and hes not yet being annointed the future long term answer here given his struggles with accuracy and mistakes both fumbles and INts..im a supporter and hope when his contract comes up hes proven he can drive the bus..but given his 2016 ROTY awards 13-3 record and played well int he playoffs and a lot of last year he looked like 2016 and his overall numbers not being shoved ubnder the rediculous microscope showed he was good enough to win alot of games..His numbers mirored that of Derek Carr who strangely enough made the pro bowl and yet Dak is being compred to quincy carter, its rediculous..22-10 isnt bad start for the young man and he knows he cant have another 4 game stretch where they cant move the ball or score more than 10points..there were reasons for his problems mostly age and not being prepered for all things around him becoming chaos and getting mentally thrown off his game.. it showed liek the late season washingtom game where he finally got all his horses back that he could step up and throw clean sharp passes and move the offense.. not his fault that a few of those bounced off or were pulled out of his WRs hands like the Seatle Game etc..
he will be fine guys can we just not get off all the dak and dez talk and actually LOOK FORWARD to the 2018 season..you guys are taking the enjoyment out of football..

let get back to being positive and supporting and defending our team and hate other teams and other oposing players..

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
This is one of those "eye of the beholder" deals. It is not a real stat. Its a flawed and has more to do with the judgement of the QB than accuracy. In fact, in one segment of this video clip, Dak chose to throw the ball in a tight window to witten b/c he flat out missed a wide open Rod Smith coming out of the backfield. Dak throws in a lot of tight windows b/c he's locking onto guys and not seeing the whole field.

Just look at this list. No Brady, Brees, or Rodgers? I can't take a stat seriously that is missing all 3 of those guys.

Ok. Aaron Rodgers was far and away number one in 2016. Feel better now?

Not eye of the beholder. Dak needs better receivers and/or system that will generate/allows for more separation. Take a look at the group of recievers last year, pretty much none of them was above average in that category.

jday

Reaction score
Man the hate is real in that comment section

:muttley:
All you really have to do to stir up hate in a comment section is bring up the Dallas Cowboys on a national forum; the Dallas Cowboys are the most visible sports franchise in the world and as a result they probably have more people who hate them than love them. The important consideration that you should take from all this is when someone speaks with hate as a motivator, they really aren't worthy of being read or listened to, in my opinion.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think that’s the one thing dak has to work on the most. Find the open guy but it’s one of those things you learn with time and reps somewhat
Knowing defenses helps you know who is likely to be open
Vision is also important but you can improve understanding what the defense is doing and overcome some lack of vision
He also needs to work on footwork

Sure and we need to find what the upper limit of that ability is for him. He has 2 years.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Every QB in the NFL is an accurate passer in the 1-10 yard range (if they can't complete a high percentage of these passes they shouldn't be in the league period). Also no QB in the league is an accurate passer in the 20+ yard range (and it should be noted that most QB's only throw about 8-10% of their yearly pass attempts in that area), but in the 11-20 yard range which is where a QB earns his money Dak is basically last in the NFL among starters completing only 44% of his passes (the average is around 58%) and the top 10 QB's in the league are in the 63-68% range. This is a fact and for those of you about to say it has to do with drops; well Dallas was one of the best teams in the NFL last season in drops and these are all facts. For Dak to really succeed long term in the NFL he has to improve in that 11-20 yard range going forward.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/2577417/dak-prescott

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=232&type=Receiving

Have a breakdown of dropped passes as a percentage of all passes thrown?

Giants and Cards threw the ball a lot.