Video: Why Dak is the most accurate. NFL Network

kskboys

Reaction score
If I had said anything 2016, you might have a point. But as usual, you are just here stirring the pot. Clearly, you don't see any difference between Dak in 2016 and 2017 which is basically akin to acknowledging that you don't pay attention to details.

See how silly involving yourself in this discussion really is? Go back to sleep.
Have to agree.

The primary discussion is whether Dak can be fixed, whether he can take the next step into becoming a better Qb. I personally believe he can, but that's pure opinion.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
This is not a Stat that directly translates to talent. It demonstrates two things. That the QB is aggressive and or that the recievers he throws to have little to no separation.

This ranking demonstrates neither of those things. You completely misunderstand it.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I believe these next gen stats also showed that Dez was on par with most top WRs in terms of separation. Outside of Tyreek Hill it seems like they are all around 2.5+/- a few tenths. He and Julio are for example the same.

I personally feel like our scheme makes it easier to defend our players. I would love to see just one rub route...or maybe Zeke who is a beast in the passing game more. As much as they run him it still feels like they don't utilize him most effectively to stress out the D...its just more like pound the hell out of him. My 2 cents.

Maybe then Dak wouldn't have to lead this stat, because more than being about a great passer or poor WRs (suddenly separation monster Beasley can no longer??) it say its about a poor scheme
Dez was right there with Witten at around 84th in separation.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If I had said anything about 2016, you might have a point. But as usual, you are just here stirring the pot. Clearly, you don't see any difference between Dak in 2016 and 2017 which is basically akin to acknowledging that you don't pay attention to details.

See how silly involving yourself in this discussion really is? Go back to sleep.
My point is that he couldn’t have done as well as he did in 2016 if he always stares down receivers like you say. Duh.

Roland

Reaction score
I think that’s the one thing dak has to work on the most. Find the open guy but it’s one of those things you learn with time and reps somewhat
Knowing defenses helps you know who is likely to be open
Vision is also important but you can improve understanding what the defense is doing and overcome some lack of vision
He also needs to work on footwork
I agree with you here. IMO Dak does need to work on his footwork. I saw some happy feet movement which led to some poorly placed balls. This can be fixed. I also believe his vision needs to and can improve. It seemed that Dak wasn't seeing the whole field a lot last year. Focusing on only half the field. Now some of that is understandable. You have a second year QB who was starting to feel some pressure. Teams were blitzing and our OL had some holes that D's were taken advantage of. In his first year, the OL was pretty solid and Dak had more time to see the field and the results were better. If Tyron is better and our OL gets back to playing like they did his first year, if you couple that with a general increase of Knowledge of what Defenses are trying to do (reading the Def, which was something Tony was good at) which I firmly believe Dak is capable of improving, then I think we can see improved QB play. I was a Tony fan, loved what he brought to the game, but his injuries caught up to him. Everyone saw the writing on the wall when the rookie had such a tremendous run. Now Dak is the man. I do believe he will get better. He is intelligent and he has a good work ethic. If he can learn the Defenses better, then he may get better with knowing where he should go with the ball. Many time last year I saw a wide open receiver but Dak never appeared to even look in that direction. If you know where your receivers are supposed to go and you know what the D is doing, then you have a better chance of throwing your receiver open vs throwing it at the receiver. That where I want to see improvement.

rkell87

Reaction score
Dak's a real person. Those games did happen in reality. What wasn't real? o_O
He is not the most accurate QB in the NFL and the tight window throw metric that is suspect at best doesn't just make it true. In that video they arbitrarily drew boxes at seemingly random points. Multiple times they showed a witten play and then a Dez play with similar or equal separation but they weren't close to the same by a wide margin. But that's just the eye test that they cherry picked to support their argument and failed. They actually published a list of QBs completely devoid of all the (clearly) best QBs in the NFL at the top of the list and claimed Dak as the most accurate. They don't even know how to interpret the information they are creating.

Let's assume for a second that all the information is accurate within a reasonable margin of error across the board, if they have shown anything it's that Dak gets the most help from his receivers. The window Dak threw into was often (even in the video) tighter than needed. The most accurate QBs throw their receivers open more often. I'm not even taking into consideration more open targets in the first place.

Dak is a good QB, he needs to get better. I don't ever expect him to be Brady, Romo, Whoever but don't try to feed me dog food and tell me it's beef stew.

School

Reaction score
Not a fan of how they measure this stat, as it doesn't attempt to isolate qb play. Also have to chuckle at how click baity NFLN made the title.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is one of those "eye of the beholder" deals. It is not a real stat. Its a flawed and has more to do with the judgement of the QB than accuracy. In fact, in one segment of this video clip, Dak chose to throw the ball in a tight window to witten b/c he flat out missed a wide open Rod Smith coming out of the backfield. Dak throws in a lot of tight windows b/c he's locking onto guys and not seeing the whole field.

Just look at this list. No Brady, Brees, or Rodgers? I can't take a stat seriously that is missing all 3 of those guys.

Agreed, and I am not exactly a Dak basher here.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don’t think this stat is indicative of Dak being the most accurate passer in the NFL. Thats rather clearly not the case.

What it does show is that Dak isn’t the “noddle arm” highly inaccurate QB who has no arm talent and will never be able to make NFL throws. There are some posters on this board who make all those insinuations about Dak.

So yes, Dak needs to improve. But Dak’s accuracy isn’t so bad that he is beyond hope to keep improving it and getting better as he continues to develop.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Not trying to go after Dak, but this stat has very little to do with accuracy. In fact, by their definition, poor accuracy creates "tight windows."

There were a couple plays in the video showing a receiver had beaten his man but had to slow down for an underthrown ball. Had the throw been more accurate, the "tight window," would've never been created.

That's likely why we're not seeing the top QBs on this list. If you lead a receiver and he doesn't have to adjust his route, the separation he created will remain.

Last edited:

PUSHfold

Reaction score
All you really have to do to stir up hate in a comment section is bring up the Dallas Cowboys on a national forum; the Dallas Cowboys are the most visible sports franchise in the world and as a result they probably have more people who hate them than love them. The important consideration that you should take from all this is when someone speaks with hate as a motivator, they really aren't worthy of being read or listened to, in my opinion.
Cowboys are NOT the "most visible sports franchise in the world" that title is held by my Man Utd. Keep dreaming.

Glory glory Man utd

Ken

Reaction score
He made the safe throws his whole rookie season. If we win, nobody cares about his stats.
Ya that isn't true at all.

You may want yo get familiar with how total qbr works. He wasn't as high as he was in that rating because he was making safe throws.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak in year 3 will have 36 Total TD’s pass/rushing. 10 ints. Complete 65% and get the YPA back over 8. This team has concerns, QB isn’t one of them.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

LOL..............too hilarious. This basically word for word what I have been telling the Romo cry babies. Dak is accurate and great. And if you notice on most of those throws he has time. Once QB's start getting a lot of pressure, it goes down.

But the best part is that Dak simply has MORE tight window throws then anyone else. Its because his receivers can barely get open or get open at all. Some would call that "throwing them open"? And his suggestion would be to get receivers that could get open more. LOL

Once again the cry babies get slammed.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
By the way I keep reading how this offense is so much easier to stop without Dez. Dak started 3 games as a rookie without his #1 receiver. Won them all and the team scored 24, 28 and 30. And they went 3 and 0.

3 wins 0 losses.- 59/83 71% 719 yards 8.66 YPA 6TD/s 1 Int's and 1 Rush TD.

He played great when he wasn't worried about forcing the ball to Dez.