News: Why Dallas Cowboys’ family business prevents winning titles

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
well since jimmy Johnson has walked out the door jerry and his kids have won what two playoff games and haven't won a divisional playoff game much less been to a nfc championship game so the the last over twenty years is a pretty big sample size that they have on idea what the heck they are doing

Dre11

Reaction score

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
they have rankings for every thing when they start building a team and hiring coaches that hoist the Lombardi then you know they are on their way to having a idea what is going on

Reactions: BAT

Dre11

Reaction score
they have rankings for every thing when they start building a team and hiring coaches that hoist the Lombardi then you know they are on their way to having a idea what is going on

You don't need a Lombardi to know what you're doing. Outside of New England, its more about having some luck and things falling just right to win a Lombardi. Rankings and stats help tell the real story.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
well since jimmy Johnson has walked out the door jerry and his kids have won what two playoff games and haven't won a divisional playoff game much less been to a nfc championship game so the the last over twenty years is a pretty big sample size that they have on idea what the heck they are doing
What did Jimmy do since he left DAL?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You don't need a Lombardi to know what you're doing. Outside of New England, its more about having some luck and things falling just right to win a Lombardi. Rankings and stats help tell the real story.
I just saw them put a gold jacket on Jerry

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just saw them put a gold jacket on Jerry
As a “contributor” to the NFL. Translation is he is in the Hall for lining the pockets of his fellow owners. I don’t hate Jerry. He’s actually a pretty decent dude. And he deserved the HOF honor based on his “contributions to the NFL”. Notice it does not say based on his outstanding work as a general manager.

Jerry’s record as a GM the last 22 years speaks for itself. If anyone wants to defend the futility of those years, that’s fine. I can’t defend Jerry’s overall work since ‘95, but it’s certainly just my opinion as a fan, just as any fan who is satisfied with Jerry work is entitled to their opinion.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
As a “contributor” to the NFL. Translation is he is in the Hall for lining the pockets of his fellow owners. I don’t hate Jerry. He’s actually a pretty decent dude. And he deserved the HOF honor based on his “contributions to the NFL”. Notice it does not say based on his outstanding work as a general manager.

Jerry’s record as a GM the last 22 years speaks for itself. If anyone wants to defend the futility of those years, that’s fine. I can’t defend Jerry’s overall work since ‘95, but it’s certainly just my opinion as a fan, just as any fan who is satisfied with Jerry work is entitled to their opinion.
It is real convenient to cut off the first 6 years...... those Lombardis count

GenoT

Reaction score
I am tired of hearing about "football people" that is the biggest fallacy out there. When you have been intimately involved in the NFL for over 20 years, guess what, you are a football person.
And in Jerry Jones’ case, a decidedly mediocre one.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is real convenient to cut off the first 6 years...... those Lombardis count
I understand your point. Jerry certainly deserves some credit for those 3 SBs. But tell me which NFL franchise would keep him as a GM for 22 years without making the playoffs 13 times, and only winning 3 Wild card round playoff games? I can’t think of one.

Jerry qualified for the job of GM with his checkbook. And without a strong head coach and football man working with him, he has not accomplished much on the field. His business acumen is great. He is a money making man, for sure. I just wish he would go back to the model he won those 3 SBs with, because the model he’s using now, isn’t working.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I understand your point. Jerry certainly deserves some credit for those 3 SBs. But tell me which NFL franchise would keep him as a GM for 22 years without making the playoffs 13 times, and only winning 3 Wild card round playoff games? I can’t think of one.

Jerry qualified for the job of GM with his checkbook. And without a strong head coach and football man working with him, he has not accomplished much on the field. His business acumen is great. He is a money making man, for sure. I just wish he would go back to the model he won those 3 SBs with, because the model he’s using now, isn’t working.
Jerry hasn't been the GM for 10 years
Stephen is doing pretty well......only 2 losing seasons

Sydla

Reaction score
Jerry and his boys all played College Football....... Jerry won a National Title...they all know the
sport

They have owned the team for 3 decades and have 3 Super Bowl titles and have built a 5billion franchise.....they all know the business

The Joneses are a gigantic success story

3 Super Bowls in the first 6-7 years of owning the team when they had a coach in place that had a lot of control over personnel, etc.

Then Jones seized control and the results are 3 playoff wins in 23 years.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
3 Super Bowls in the first 6-7 years of owning the team when they had a coach in place that had a lot of control over personnel, etc.

Then Jones seized control and the results are 3 playoff wins in 23 years.
2 Super Bowls

Sydla

Reaction score

Now it’s luck?

The depths you will sink to not have to admit reality is bizarre.

Forget SBs. They have 3 playoff wins in 23 years. THREE.