News: Why Dallas Cowboys’ family business prevents winning titles

cern

Reaction score
Wal-Mart doesn't have to win games.
A successfully run business is just that. Be it sports, retail, logging or restaurant. Jerry is a whiz at marketing and merchantability, but a rube at player personnel management. The record of the on field product is etched in stone.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He took Miami to the playoffs every year he coached the team. If Wayne huizinga would have let him trade the aging marino, he would have done even more. Now he has fun on fox and chases Wahoo.
He was 36-28 and didn't go to the playoffs all 4 years......that is 9-7 every year and I heard around here that sucks

fansince68

Reaction score
Who says the goal isn't to win a Super Bowl. That's everybody's goal, that's a silly question.
Well you are bragging about pro bowl players . Heck even Jason Witten made the pro bowl and we all know he was not top 10 TE. Pro Bowl selections only make a difference when you have smart game planning coaches that can make simple halftime adjustments. Football is a team sport. Individual accomplishments won't win a Super Bowl. It's a shame you don't know that.

cern

Reaction score
He was 36-28 and didn't go to the playoffs all 4 years......that is 9-7 every year and I heard around here that sucks
you are correct. he only led the fins to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. still, not too shabby.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
A successfully run business is just that. Be it sports, retail, logging or restaurant. Jerry is a whiz at marketing and merchantability, but a rube at player personnel management. The record of the on field product is etched in stone.
Jones fails because he doesn't know football. He's trying to run a business, and be a football guy. His business is successful, his football business has failed for 22 years. Wal-mart only has to deal with business, not win games.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
My point being, it's easier to run a business with family when a sport is not involved.

cern

Reaction score
Jones fails because he doesn't know football. He's trying to run a business, and be a football guy. His business is successful, his football business has failed for 22 years. Wal-mart only has to deal with business, not win games.
There are only 32 NFL teams. Nowhere near the competition experienced in the retail business. If an NFL team wants to build a new stadium, with few exceptions they just build in their home city. The city kicks in money, the league kicks in, and corporate sponsorship is easily available. Big business must finance itself and do feasibility studies as to where expand. Far more logistics and planning are needed than anything NFL related. Wal-Mart deals with far more issues than NFL owners. So do other large businesses.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I am tired of hearing about "football people" that is the biggest fallacy out there. When you have been intimately involved in the NFL for over 20 years, guess what, you are a football person.

If Jerry sold the Dallas Cowboys today, would another NFL team even consider hiring him to be their GM tomorrow? :muttley:

Sydla

Reaction score

In 4 years in Miami, he went to the playoffs 3 times and won two playoff games.

That beats what Garrett has done in 7 years.

Sydla

Reaction score

Yep, when looking at Jones you have to separate the business side of the Cowboys with the football side. There is no doubt Jerry has been a marketing whiz when it comes to the Cowboys and as strictly a business looking at the bottom line, no one has done it better.

But on the football side, he's largely been a failure since they won their last SB in 1995. Since then, he's basically had complete control of the football operations and that's resulted in 3 playoff wins starting with the 1996 season. Unless your brain is wired such that it makes it impossible to be objective about the Cowboys and all you can do is wave the pom poms, that 22 year run has been pretty sad and a direct reflection on Jones' stewardship of the football operations.

aria

Reaction score
If Jerry showed the same “loyalty” to the players as he does his wife this team would be much better off.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I am tired of hearing about "football people" that is the biggest fallacy out there. When you have been intimately involved in the NFL for over 20 years, guess what, you are a football person.

Agreed, but they're good football people and bad. It's a results driven business, so look at the results and you decide.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why Dallas Cowboys’ family business prevents winning titles
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/02/22/dallas-cowboys-family-business-prevents-winning-titles/

Because owner and general manager Jerry Jones treats the Dallas Cowboys as a family business, that fact limits the team’s chances for success.
The Dallas Cowboys biggest obstacle to a championship is ownership by the Jones’ family. In a recent article, I discussed how Jerry Jones’ multiple roles as owner, president and general manager makes him inefficient at doing each job.

Jerry Jones’ son, John Stephen Jones, is the executive vice president, chief executive officer (CEO) and director of player personnel. Jerry Jones Jr. and Charlotte Jones Anderson are also listed as executive vice presidents. Unfortunately, being family doesn’t make you the right person for the job.

The Cowboys aren’t the only family owned NFL team and as a family man, I understand giving your children prominent roles in the business. If I owned a business, I would want my immediate family heavily involved. After all, we’re talking about establishing our legacy and taking care of future generations.

Just because my little sister made a few hundred flyers for a bake sale, that doesn’t mean that she should be in charge of my marketing department. If my cousin knows a guy with a truck, it doesn’t mean he should be in charge of logistics. It might be necessary in the beginning to give roles to family. As the business grows, you should hire more qualified people...
And this is why Jerry is NOT doing everything within his power to win football games which I think by now most fans realize it isn’t a priority. He only wants to win his way.He tried winning when a bigger ego received the credit and didn’t like it.

Jerry has already admitted he’d of fired a GM with his recent record but he won’t. At that point I’d blame the fans for continuing to financially support a product that’s not willing to make the changes necessary . Instead we continue providing Jerry and his family a stamp of approval .

CCBoy

Reaction score
Did the scouting dept have anything to do with that poor selection of free agents last season? We got 0 return on our investment.

c'mon...that is on a policy of shopping basement bargain bins...what do YOU expect?

GMO415

Reaction score
Today, JJ is way too comfortable and doesn't want to put in work to change things .

We'll never win another SB while he's breathing